Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract lines between patterns Post 302964556 by RavinderSingh13 on Friday 15th of January 2016 12:40:36 PM
Old 01-15-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by squrcles
I have a list in the format below, how do I read through the list and extract the lines between the ##START## and ##END## , so i can check for specific values between each ##START## & ##END## pattern

##START##
RANDOMTEXT
DFGSD
SDFSDF
##END##
##START##
morestuff
sdfggfg
sdfsdf
##END##

EG.
X="morestuff sdfggfg sdfsdf"
Hello squrcles,

Could you please try following and let me know if this helps.
Code:
awk '/##START##/{A=1;if(Q){print Q;Q=""};next} /##END##/{A=0} A{Q=Q?Q OFS $0:$0} END{print Q}'  Input_file

Output will be as follows.
Code:
RANDOMTEXT  DFGSD  SDFSDF 
morestuff  sdfggfg  sdfsdf

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To extract the string between two patterns

Sample input: Loading File System Networking in nature Closing the System now i need to extract the patterns between the words File and Closing: i.e. sample output: System Networking in Nature Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aajan
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract certain patterns from file.

Hi All, I tried extracting this pattern using grep but it did not work. What I have is a file which has contents like this: file:///channel/add-adhd.html file:///channel/allergies.html file:///channel/arthritis.html http://mail.yahoo.com/ http://messenger.yahoo.com/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: extract lines between two patterns

Hello Perl-experts, I am new to perl and need help to solve a problem. I have a table in below format. <Text A> <Pattern1> A Value B Value C Value D Value <Pattern2> <Text B> This table is in file1. I want to extract lines between Pattern1 and Pattern2 and write it into file2.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnithink
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract line between two patterns

Hi All, I need a script to extract a lines between two patterns.I have done this using grep,cut,tail and head.But its very slow, because my input file contain more than a lakh. COMMAND:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX yyyyy zzzzzz REQUESTSTRING:aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa;11111 222222 333333... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all the lines in between of 2 patterns and merge them

Hi, I have a file with many lines and need to extract lines between 2 patterns (AAA and BBB) and merge all the in-between lines into single line separated by space. $ cat file1 blah blah blah blah AAA 1 2 3 blah BBB blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah AAA 5 6 blah blah... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

7. Debian

Extract Lines Between 2 patterns if exist...

Hello. I am not having luck with sed or awk today. $ echo "$BrackListFinal" DSCF3649-DSCF3651_Brkt DSCF3649.JPG 2014-07-21 13:34:44 On 1 DSCF3649.RAF 2014-07-21 13:34:44 On 1 DSCF3650.JPG 2014-07-21 13:34:45 On 2 DSCF3650.RAF 2014-07-21 13:34:45 On 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSommers
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract all the sentences that matched two patterns

Hi I have two lists of patterns named A and B consisting of around 200 entries in each and I want to extract all the sentences from a big text file which match atleast one pattern from both A and B. For example, pattern list A consists of : ama ani ahum mari ... ... and pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete multiple lines between blank lines containing two patterns

Hi all, I'm looking for a way (sed or awk) to delete multiple lines between blank lines containing two patterns ex: user: alpha parameter_1 = 15 parameter_2 = 1 parameter_3 = 0 user: alpha parameter_1 = 15 parameter_2 = 1 parameter_3 = 0 user: alpha parameter_1 = 16... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ce9888
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print lines from a files with specific start and end patterns and pick only the last lines?

Hi, I need to print lines which are matching with start pattern "SELECT" and END PATTERN ";" and only select the last "select" statement including the ";" . I have attached sample input file and the desired input should be as: INPUT FORMAT: SELECT ABCD, DEFGH, DFGHJ, JKLMN, AXCVB,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
5 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common Git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal Git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. create_virtual_base modifies the first file so only lines in common with the second file remain. If there is insufficient common material, then the first file is left empty. The result is suitable as a virtual base input for a 3-way merge. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)