Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Repair windows 8.0 ntfs partition Post 302964452 by ppchu99 on Thursday 14th of January 2016 06:42:04 PM
Old 01-14-2016
windows ntfs 8.0 partition

I don't think it is that simple, or I am missing soomething..

I boot up unbuntu desktop 15 and managed to run ntfsfix and badblocks -v to convince myself the hdd with windows 8.0 hung , there are bad sectors and blocks

So I boot up a windows 8.0 cd, the system hung after loading up the front window page..

I have no issues booting up any unix variants, including redhat, unbuntu and centos, and see the devices.

I am guessing any windows boot disk would stall once it detects I have a problem with an existing hdd..

it would be good if I could boot up windows 7 or 8, and force a chkdsk on this drive and see...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

File Sharing among NTFS Partition & RH Linux 9 Partitions

Well Guys, will anybody solve my problem? I have installed Win XP and RH Linux 9 (Dual Boot) on an Intel x86 Machine. Everything is going fine except that I cannot share files among the two operating systems. For example, if I download a PDF file from internet and save it in my Win XP partition... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
1 Replies

2. SuSE

writing on win ntfs partition from linux

Is it possible to save a file from linux environment to a windows ntfs partition? I use SUSE 8.3 and I can access win ntfs files only as read only. I want to know whether writing is possible on win ntfs partition. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suyashkunte
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can I mount Windows NTFS drive?

Just inherited a windows server to support. Windows 2003 Enterprise edition I can view driver / folders on the windows NTFS volume by mapping a drive from my windows laptop.. Can I mount this from a unix server also? I heard you can use Microsoft Services for Network File System... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
3 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows XP recovery/repair mode

hello again all, assume I can not log in to the windows installation, (maybe) because of a system file corruption or failure.. however, I do log in to the system using the windows CD with R (repair) mode, that is the command line prompt. Is there a way in that command prompt to copy the files... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
10 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

How to access a NTFS partition on hard drive through Terminal in OSX ?

Hi , I have a Mac OS X Lion mac book pro. I have a hard drive which I have partitioned in two (a) OSX Partition - Mac OS Extended Journaled format. Mount point: / (b) Data Partition - Windows NT Filesystem format. Mount point: /Volumes/Data I need to access the NTFS partition (I have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
6 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can I create Windows repair software in USB rather than CD?

My CD drive isn't working. So, is there any way to create windows recovery/repair software in flash drive/usb. This is the s/w which we use if system fails to boot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
1 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Can I format a partition in Linux with FAT32 or NTFS?

I tried in fedora 9 to format a partition with FAT32 or NTFS but failed mkfs -t NTFS /dev/sdb3 mkfs -t FAT32 /dev/sdb3 In both the output says the the device isn't present. the output is something like this: mkfs.FAT32: no device present mkfs.NTFS: no device present I am able to format in... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Boot Loaders

Can I test windows 7 repair usb even if windows is fine?

I successfully created a bootable windows 7 repair usb. Please clarify me: I rebooted my system via USB. windows repair window appeared. There were 5 options. I opted 'windows memory diagnostic' and it worked fine. There was an option named 'start up repair'. This option can be used if windows... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Boot Loaders

Where to get windows 7 iso file of repair?

I need to make a bootable usb of windows 7 repair disc iso file so that I can use it in case my system doesn't boot up. On net I am getting complete windows 7 OS iso but I need only the repair disc for making bootable iso. I am not sure whether I used right word by using the word disc here... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
ZFSBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						ZFSBOOT(8)

NAME
zfsboot -- bootcode for ZFS on BIOS-based computers DESCRIPTION
zfsboot is used on BIOS-based computers to boot from a filesystem in a ZFS pool. zfsboot is installed in two parts on a disk or a partition used by a ZFS pool. The first part, a single-sector starter boot block, is installed at the beginning of the disk or partition. The second part, a main boot block, is installed at a special offset within the disk or partition. Both areas are reserved by the ZFS on-disk specifi- cation for boot use. If zfsboot is installed in a partition, then that partition should be made bootable using appropriate configuration and boot blocks described in boot(8). BOOTING
The zfsboot boot process is very similar to that of gptzfsboot(8). One significant difference is that zfsboot does not currently support the GPT partitioning scheme. Thus only whole disks and MBR partitions, traditionally referred to as slices, are probed for ZFS disk labels. See the BUGS section in gptzfsboot(8) for some limitations of the MBR scheme support. USAGE
zfsboot supports all the same prompt and configuration file arguments as gptzfsboot(8). FILES
/boot/zfsboot boot code binary /boot.config parameters for the boot block (optional) /boot/config alternative parameters for the boot block (optional) EXAMPLES
zfsboot is typically installed using dd(1). To install zfsboot on the ada0 drive: dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0 count=1 dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0 iseek=1 oseek=1024 If the drive is currently in use, the GEOM safety will prevent writes and must be disabled before running the above commands: sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10 zfsboot can also be installed in an MBR slice: gpart create -s mbr ada0 gpart add -t freebsd ada0 gpart create -s BSD ada0s1 gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot0 ada0 gpart set -a active -i 1 ada0 dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0s1 count=1 dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0s1 iseek=1 oseek=1024 Note that commands to create and populate a pool are not shown in the example above. SEE ALSO
dd(1), boot.config(5), boot(8), gptzfsboot(8), loader(8), zfsloader(8), zpool(8) HISTORY
zfsboot appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Installing zfsboot with dd(1) is a hack. ZFS needs a command to properly install zfsboot onto a ZFS-controlled disk or partition. BSD
September 15, 2014 BSD