Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search files in directory for keywords using bash Post 302964163 by cmccabe on Monday 11th of January 2016 04:02:23 PM
Old 01-11-2016
Yes, if the two below files were used name1,123 would be file 1 and name2,1234 would be file 2: does this help? Thank you Smilie.

Code:
 name1 123  chr  start  stop  ref  alt 
                      1    10     20    a    -
                      1    30    150  -     aaaa
 name2  1234 chr   start  stop  ref  alt
                       2     220   250   t     c

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search all files and sub directory

I wanted to search in all the sub directories under /vob/project (recurse) in everything inside /vob/project. search.run for x in `cat search.strings` do find /vob/project -type f -print | xargs grep -i $x > ~/$x.txt done search.string hello whoami I am getting the error ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva_jm
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace words between two keywords

Hi, I have a file which contains the following : select * from test where test_id=1; select id from test1, test2 where test_id=1 and test_id=2; select * from test1, test2, test3 where test_id=4 and test2_id where in (select test2_id from test2); select id1, id2 from test ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrrajeeb
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for keywords in subsequent lines

Hi all, I am looking for a coomand to search for the keywords in susequenct lines. Keyword1 in a line and Keyword2 in the very next line. Once i found the combination ineed to print the lines with patterns and the line above and one below. I am giving an example here: Keywords are :ERROR and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a file with keywords

Hi All I have a file of format asdf asf first sec endi asdk rt 123 ferf dfg ijglkp (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailabdulbari
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recursively search for a list of keywords in a given directory?

Hi all, how to recursively search for a list of keywords in a given directory?? for example: suppose i have kept all the keywords in a file called "procnamelist" (in separate line) and i have to search recursively in a directory called "target/dir" if i am not doing recursive search then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to search for keywords within files modified at a certain time

I have a huge list of files in an Unix directory (around 10000 files). I need to be able to search for a certain keyword only within files that are modified between certain date and time, say for e.g 2012-08-20 12:30 to 2012-08-20 12:40 Can someone let me know what would be the fastest way... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: virtual123
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search between keywords and make a single line

have a very big file where need to format it like below example file: abcd today is great day; search keyword 'abcd' and append to it all words till we reach ; to make it a single line. output should look like. abcd today is great day; There are many occurrence of such... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri4332
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - use search keywords from array and search a file and print 3rd field when matched

Hi , I have been trying to write a perl script to do this job. But i am not able to achieve the desired result. Below is my code. my $current_value=12345; my @users=("bob","ben","tom","harry"); open DBLIST,"<","/var/tmp/DBinfo"; my @input = <DBLIST>; foreach (@users) { my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash append values if keywords are present in the file

Hi Team, i have a web ui where user will be passing values and the output will be saved to a file say test with the following contents . These below mentioned values will change according to the user_input Just gave here one example Contents of file test is given below Gateway... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkitesh
7 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)