Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search files in directory for keywords using bash Post 302964158 by cjcox on Monday 11th of January 2016 03:00:58 PM
Old 01-11-2016
Is this a free form input set of files? Are those spaces? Fixed width columns? Can columns run into each other for example, could you have:

Code:
start  stop

where start is 55000 and stop is 56000

Just trying to clear up the unknowns...

Are column titles arbitrary, can the columns be in any order?

(I'm sure I could think of more things to ask)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search all files and sub directory

I wanted to search in all the sub directories under /vob/project (recurse) in everything inside /vob/project. search.run for x in `cat search.strings` do find /vob/project -type f -print | xargs grep -i $x > ~/$x.txt done search.string hello whoami I am getting the error ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva_jm
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace words between two keywords

Hi, I have a file which contains the following : select * from test where test_id=1; select id from test1, test2 where test_id=1 and test_id=2; select * from test1, test2, test3 where test_id=4 and test2_id where in (select test2_id from test2); select id1, id2 from test ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrrajeeb
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for keywords in subsequent lines

Hi all, I am looking for a coomand to search for the keywords in susequenct lines. Keyword1 in a line and Keyword2 in the very next line. Once i found the combination ineed to print the lines with patterns and the line above and one below. I am giving an example here: Keywords are :ERROR and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a file with keywords

Hi All I have a file of format asdf asf first sec endi asdk rt 123 ferf dfg ijglkp (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailabdulbari
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to recursively search for a list of keywords in a given directory?

Hi all, how to recursively search for a list of keywords in a given directory?? for example: suppose i have kept all the keywords in a file called "procnamelist" (in separate line) and i have to search recursively in a directory called "target/dir" if i am not doing recursive search then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to search for keywords within files modified at a certain time

I have a huge list of files in an Unix directory (around 10000 files). I need to be able to search for a certain keyword only within files that are modified between certain date and time, say for e.g 2012-08-20 12:30 to 2012-08-20 12:40 Can someone let me know what would be the fastest way... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: virtual123
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search between keywords and make a single line

have a very big file where need to format it like below example file: abcd today is great day; search keyword 'abcd' and append to it all words till we reach ; to make it a single line. output should look like. abcd today is great day; There are many occurrence of such... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri4332
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - use search keywords from array and search a file and print 3rd field when matched

Hi , I have been trying to write a perl script to do this job. But i am not able to achieve the desired result. Below is my code. my $current_value=12345; my @users=("bob","ben","tom","harry"); open DBLIST,"<","/var/tmp/DBinfo"; my @input = <DBLIST>; foreach (@users) { my... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash append values if keywords are present in the file

Hi Team, i have a web ui where user will be passing values and the output will be saved to a file say test with the following contents . These below mentioned values will change according to the user_input Just gave here one example Contents of file test is given below Gateway... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkitesh
7 Replies
COLUMN(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 COLUMN(1)

NAME
column -- columnate lists SYNOPSIS
column [-tx] [-c columns] [-s sep] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The column utility formats its input into multiple columns. Rows are filled before columns. Input is taken from file operands, or, by default, from the standard input. Empty lines are ignored. The options are as follows: -c Output is formatted for a display columns wide. -s Specify a set of characters to be used to delimit columns for the -t option. -t Determine the number of columns the input contains and create a table. Columns are delimited with whitespace, by default, or with the characters supplied using the -s option. Useful for pretty-printing displays. -x Fill columns before filling rows. ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of column as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The column utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
(printf "PERM LINKS OWNER GROUP SIZE MONTH DAY " ; printf "HH:MM/YEAR NAME " ; ls -l | sed 1d) | column -t SEE ALSO
colrm(1), ls(1), paste(1), sort(1) HISTORY
The column command appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Input lines are limited to LINE_MAX (2048) bytes in length. BSD
July 29, 2004 BSD