Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Proper chaining and piping of commands Post 302963925 by Don Cragun on Friday 8th of January 2016 01:46:57 AM
Old 01-08-2016
You haven't said what operating system or shell you're using.

If you're on a system using a recent version of bash, you might want to look at the bash manage for the definition of the PIPESTATUS array. With the commands:
Code:
who | grep name
echo ${PIPESTATUS[@]}

with a recent bash you would get the output from the grep followed by a line showing the exit value of both commands in the pipeline. For example:
Code:
bash-3.2$ who | grep dwc
dwc          console  Dec  8 21:19 
dwc          ttys000  Dec  8 21:22 
dwc          ttys001  Dec  8 21:22 
dwc          ttys002  Dec  8 21:22 
dwc          ttys003  Dec  8 21:22 
dwc          ttys004  Dec  8 21:22 
dwc          ttys005  Dec  8 21:22 
dwc          ttys006  Dec  8 21:22 
dwc          ttys007  Dec  8 21:22 
bash-3.2$ echo ${PIPESTATUS[@]}
0 0
bash-3.2$ who | grep unknown
bash-3.2$ echo ${PIPESTATUS[@]}
0 1
bash-3.2$ who -x | grep dwc
who: illegal option -- x
Usage: who [-abdHlmpqrsTtu] [file]
	who am i
bash-3.2$  echo ${PIPESTATUS[@]}
1 1
bash-3.2$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Proper routing

I have a series of new machines that are internet facing (have IP's that are accessible via the 'net) and it has internal facing interfaces. I need to be able to communicate back to the internal network to a specific server which processes monitoring and e-mail traffic. I've been told that I should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Proper use of prune...

My goal was to find any directories inside of any directory called "09_Client Original" not modified in the last 30 days. $ find /Volumes/Jobs_Volume/ -type d -name "09_Client Original" -exec find {} -mtime +30 -type d -maxdepth 1 \; The results of this find are passed along in a perl script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guriboy
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping through commands read as variables from file

This is going to be part of a longer script with more features, but I have boiled it down to the one thing that is presently stumping me. The goal is a script which checks for updates to web pages that can be run as a cron job. The script reads (from a tab-delim file) a URL, an MD5 digest, and an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fitzwilliam
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash aliases and command chaining with ; (semi-colon)

What am I doing wrong here? Or is this not possible? A bug? alias f='find . >found 2>/dev/null &' f ; sleep 20 ; ls -l -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `;' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: star_man
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Proper syntax

I'm new to Unix, and just had a quick question. I'm writing a bash script, and I was wondering what proper programming etiquette was for piping. How many pipes is too many pipes? OLDEST=$(find . -maxdepth 1 -type d -newermt 2012-07-01 ! -newermt 2012-07-30 | xargs ls -1td | tail -2) echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jrymer
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping multiple commands

Using the below code I want to find all .sff files and extract them. This works but it seems very cheap. Is there a safer more efficient way to go about this? #!/bin/bash G1=(/home/dirone) find ${G1} -type f -name \*.sff | xargs python /usr/local/bin/sff_extract.py (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] BASH - chaining TEST and COMMAND with && and II

Can you explain what this line of script is doing. What I have understood is : -- variable C is the name of a software which is either not installed, so it must be installed or allready installed and then should be update if newer version found -- branch B="$B $C" is to install the software --... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping commands

Hi I am tryin to undertand piping command1|command2 from what i learn output of cammand 2 is an intput for command 1 right? If so . What dose next sequence do cat f1 >> f2 | grep '^' I think it takes context of f1 and Concatenate's it to f2 and then looks for ....i don't know..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: iliya24
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chaining together exec within find

I need to do the following with a find command on my AIX box Find all files that are -type f Then do the following steps:- Take a listing of them, and write them to a log in /directory/backup/log Tar them up in /directory/backup/tar and remove the files. Here is what I have... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
22 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Piping commands using xargs

Need help in piping commands using xargs I have several .tar.gz files that I need to list the folder content in a subdirectory. For example, a.tar.gz b.tar.gz c.tar.gz The following command works great for each .tar.gz file but it's a pain to run the tar command for each file. tar -tf... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
11 Replies
shell(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 shell(1F)

NAME
shell - run a command using shell SYNOPSIS
shell command [command] ... DESCRIPTION
The shell function concatenate its arguments, separating each by a space, and passes this string to the shell ($SHELL if set, otherwise /usr/bin/sh). EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample output of shell command. Since the Form and Menu Language does not directly support background processing, the shell function can be used instead. `shell "build prog > /dev/null &"` If you want the user to continue to be able to interact with the application while the background job is running, the output of an exe- cutable run by shell in the background must be redirected: to a file if you want to save the output, or to /dev/null if you don't want to save it (or if there is no output), otherwise your application may appear to be hung until the background job finishes processing. shell can also be used to execute a command that has the same name as an FMLI built-in function. NOTES
The arguments to shell will be concatenate using spaces, which may or may not do what is expected. The variables set in local environments will not be expanded by the shell because "local" means "local to the current process." ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 shell(1F)