Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Need to use fgrep and egrep in a single command Post 302963884 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 7th of January 2016 02:36:50 PM
Old 01-07-2016
Yes it's Solaris, where you need the /usr/xpg4/bin/grep for the -e option.
Ravinder's awk solution works even with the old /usr/bin/awk
BTW it uses awk's || operator outside the /pattern/, where spaces are allowed for readability
Code:
awk '/\*M/ || /\*D/ || /\*X/' file

It is also possible to use the ERE (awk, egrep)-style | operator within the pattern
Code:
awk '/\*M|\*D|\*X/' file

or use a character set (like in any grep/egrep)
Code:
awk '/\*[MDX]/' file

But because awk uses the / as a pattern-delimiter, a literal / must be escaped in a pattern. That lowers readability
Code:
awk '/\/\*M\// || /\/\*D\// || /\/\*X\//' file

or
Code:
awk '/\/\*M\/|\/\*D\/|\/\*X\//' file

or
Code:
awk '/\/\*[MDX]\//' file

Last but not least there is the ERE-style ( ) sub-expression
Code:
awk '/\/\*(M|D|X)\//' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep command

I'd like to grep a pattern of a version number as *_number.number.number number should be digit my grep is |egrep '^*++\.+' It works for V_3.2.1 or V _5.3.2 but not with V_43.6.543 !!!!! How can I specify any repetition of digit in the ? thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: annelisa
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Usage of fgrep -f command in kshell

Hi, Can I know the usage of fgrep -f command in kshell. Reqirement: Need to search for list of patterns in list of files and display all the files which are having atleast one in the patterns list. I hope fgrep -f will serve this purpose within a loop. But I am not successfull in doing this.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: divv
0 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Difference grep, egrep and fgrep

Hi All, Can anyone please explain me the difference between grep, egrep and fgrep with examples. I am new to unix environment.. Your help is highly appreciated. Regards, ravi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravind27
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with egrep command

Hi All, I am using egrep command to search one pattern. Following is the command i am using egrep -i "ACL*" filename but its also giving me the records which do not contain ACL. any help would be appreciated. Regards, Sam (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

fgrep command

How can we use fgrep command to search pattern on perticular field on a file. eg : I have a parren file having format cat patternfile SPA16S199982 SPA5S26330 I want to seach these pattern on FIRST field of File2(since other field has same data) and that too maching entirely. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: morbid_angel
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/fgrep/egrep for a very large matrix

All, I have a problem with grep/fgrep/egrep. Basically I am building a 200 times 200 correlation matrix. The entries of this matrix need to be retrieved from another very large matrix (~100G). I tried to use the grep/fgrep/egrep to locate each entry and put them into one file. It looks very... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: realwindfly
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Using fgrep Command with pattern file option

Hi, i am using fgrep command with following syntax fgrep -v -f pattern_file_name file file contains few line and have the pattern which i am giving in pattern file. My Problem is : its is not giving any output. while i am using fgrep -f pattern_file_name file it is showing all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emresearch
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with egrep command

cat /tmp/inventory.csv|grep AARP|egrep -v "T11|12.4\(7\)" how do i exclude in addition to above 12.4\(3\) I have tried adding this in i.e -v "T11|12.4\(7\)|12.4\(3\)" but it did not work (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashbash
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with egrep command

Hello folks, Here's how my current egrep command works: egrep "NY|DC|LA|VA|MD" state_data.txt I am planning to use a file to enter all allowable state values like say a new state_names.lookup with the following data: NY DC LA VA MD egrep "`cat state_names.lookup`"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

fgrep command: Perl programming help needed..Kindly advise

Hi, I am novice in PERL enviornment. I have a text files withso many entries in rows and columns. I have to pick up entries named as "Uniprot ID" in the file and create a new text file with list of particular Uniprot ID entries. Can anybody guide regarding this.. I came to know abut fgrep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manigrover
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)