Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can't understand script output Post 302963774 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 5th of January 2016 05:51:29 PM
Old 01-05-2016
I assume that you meant for the code:
Code:
SourceLocation='pwd'

to set SourceLocation to the pathname of the current directory, but that is not what this code does. It sets SourceLocation to the literal string pwd.

Try this instead:
Code:
SourceLocation=$PWD

or one of the much slower options:
Code:
SourceLocation=$(pwd)

or (the less preferred form of command substitution):
Code:
SourceLocation=`pwd`

Note the huge difference in behavior between backquote ` and single-quote '.

Then note that the code:
Code:
 for sfile in $SourceLocation/*
 do
         if [ ! -s "$SourceLocation/$file" ];
         then

is setting sfile as the loop control variable and using file inside the loop. And, that the if test is looking at the size of $SourceLocation/$SourceLocation/filneame. Maybe you meant something more like:
Code:
 for file in $SourceLocation/*
 do
         if [ ! -s "$file" ];
         then

If this still doesn't work turn on tracing so you can see what is happening as your script runs. You can run on tracing by invoking your script with:
Code:
ksh -xv scriptname

or by adding the following line as the second line of your script:
Code:
set -xv

Last edited by Don Cragun; 01-05-2016 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Add note about another problem in the code.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to understand the output of last command

root@desktop:~# last reboot | head -1 reboot system boot 2.6.31-17-generi Tue Jan 26 12:05 - 13:52 (01:46) What does the last two fields(12:05 - 13:52 (01:46)) of the output mean? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I can't understand sed error output.

Hey forum, I have a problem with a script what used to work, but suddenly is not working anymore. I have been trying different things for an hour now and I give up :D . #!/bin/sh asukoht=`pwd` template=$1 for values in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mario8eren
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to understand ps output.

I m executing ps command and sorting it according to memory usage. Please find the output of the command. # ps aux --sort pmem USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND root 1 0.0 0.0 2060 624 ? Ss 01:54 0:00 init root 2 0.0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to understand the output of w command

I have taken putty session of a server from two separate machines namely HOST1(3 sessions) and HOST2(1 Session) . However w command says there are 5 users Confused over the output any clue will be appreciated. # w 09:29:36 up 34 days, 15:48, 5 users, load average: 0.62, 4.33, 8.16 USER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Not able to understand this output

I am hitting this command: dvlna021-(/cm/ims/dev/gds-scheduler/10/app/Software/active/Soft/conf)->ls -lrt gds_userenv_* This is the output lrwxrwxrwx 1 aimse was 65 Jul 31 12:56 gds_userenv_scheduler_2.ksh -> /cm/ims/dev/gds-scheduler/10/app/conf/gds_userenv_scheduler_2.ksh ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do not understand grep output

In my directory I have two files and one subdirectory. When I run ls -l |grep -v ^d I get the following output: total 8 -rwxrwxrwx 1 qms qms 254 Oct 3 16:00 file1.txt -rwxrwxrwx 1 qms qms 7167 Oct 11 15:46 file2.txt Can you explain what is total 8 if the number of files is 2 and is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdogadin
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to understand a script

Hello world! Can someone please explain me how this code works? I'ts supposed to find words in a dictionary and show the anagrams of the words. { part = word2key($1) data = $1 } function word2key(word, a, i, x, result) { x = split(word, a, "") asort(a) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jose2802
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to understand the output of TRUSS command

Hi, I am trying to set ulimit for soft stack unlimited, but this is not taking effect, after tracing the ulimit -a unlimited command, the below output was generated, which i am unable to comprehend. Could any one help me with this? prcbap1-r10prod: truss -d ulimit -s unlimited Tue Dec 30... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NasirAbbasi
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help me understand this script

#!/bin/awk -f BEGIN {i=1;file="modified.txt"} { if ($0 !~ /^DS:/) {print $0 >> file} else { if ($0 ~ /^DS:/) {print "DS: ",i >> file;if (i==8) {i=1} else {i++}}; } } END {gzip file} Can someone explain to me how this above script works, I got it from a friend but not able... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamesh G
3 Replies