Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Spacing off when files combined using awk or cat Post 302963765 by Aia on Tuesday 5th of January 2016 04:26:26 PM
Old 01-05-2016
It appears that your files file{1,2}.txt do not terminate in a new line.
Please, give it a try at:
Code:
perl -nle 's/\r//; print unless /^(\W+)?$/' file{1..3}.txt > example.txt

The -l will ensure that a new line is added after each print

Last edited by Aia; 01-05-2016 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: mispell

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk not printing the last combined column

nawk -F "|" 'FNR==NR {a=$2 OFS $3 OFS $4 OFS $5 OFS $6;next}\ {if ($5 in a)print $1,"test",$5,a, $2,$3,$4 OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS $2-$3-$4 ; \ else print $1,"Database",$5 OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS $2,$3,$4 OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS $2-$3-$4 }' OFS="|" \ file1 file2 > file3 This... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combined many txt files by columns

Hi, I want to combined 500 .txt files (each file only has one line) to a single txt file (A.txt). for example, A1.txt with 12 23 34 45 A2.txt with 56 67 78 89 ...etc, so I have A1.txt, A2.txt... , A499.txt, A500.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AMBER
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging of files with different headers to make combined headers file

Hi , I have a typical situation. I have 4 files and with different headers (number of headers is varible ). I need to make such a merged file which will have headers combined from all files (comman coluns should appear once only). For example - File 1 H1|H2|H3|H4 11|12|13|14 21|22|23|23... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marut_ashu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat 114 files using grep or awk to pull muliple fields

Files xxxxxxx.txt ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Req.By: xxxxxxx WABUSH MINES - xxxxxx MINE (1001) Page: 1 Run on: 12/14/09... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sctxms
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk for scientific notion and decimal combined data

Dea all, I have a question. I have a column of numbers with scientific notion and decimal combined data. I want to print it only if the number <0.05 using awk. however the very small numbers with scientific notion is not selected. Do any one know how to solve it? Thanks! example as below: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed: change the color of a column w/o screwing up column spacing

Hey folks. I wrote a little awk script that summarizes /proc/net/dev info and then pipes it to the nix column command to set up column spacing appropriately. Here's some example output: Iface RxMBytes RxPackets RxErrs RxDrop TxMBytes TxPackets TxErrs TxDrop bond0 9 83830... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryran
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and cat combined

Hello, i need to search one word (snp1) from many files and copy the content of the columns of this word in new file. example: file 1: SNP BP CHR P snp1 1 3 0.01 snp2 2 2 0.05 . . file 2: SNP BP CHR P snp1 1 3 0.06 snp2 2 2 0.3 output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biopsy
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk combined with an IF

Hi everybody! I try to printout a csv-file with the exeption of cell $1 and $4. what i tried so far: awk '{for(i = 1; i<=NF; i++);if(i == 1 || i == 4);else print($i)}' file.csv ..any ideas how it work and why my example fails? Thanks in advance! IMPe (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combined sed+awk for lookup csv file

have written a combined sed+awk to perform a lookup operation which works but looking to enhance it. looking to match a record using any of the comma separated values + return selected fields from the record - including the field header. so: cat foo make,model,engine,trim,value... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack.bauer
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lost redirecting stderr & stdout to 3 files - one each plus combined

Hi folks I need/want to redirect output (stdout, stderr) from an exec call to separate files. One for stderr only and two(!) different (!) ones for the combined output of stderr and stdout. After some research and testing i got this so far : (( exec ${command} ${command_parameters} 3>&1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDominok
6 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)