Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Using Another Account as Internet Proxy Post 302963764 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 5th of January 2016 04:38:42 PM
Old 01-05-2016
So your local servers are using the bank of purchased static ip's and are effectively directly on the internet?

If when trying to connect locally you are referencing a nodename, then that nodename will need to be resolved to an ip address. If your DNS service is external (and unreliable and perhaps provided by your ISP) then if it becomes unreachable every so often it would affect your local connectivity too. Just a thought at this early stage.

Do you know where your local nodes get their DNS settings from? Are they acquired through DHCP?

If the timeout is caused by DNS failure then setting local resolution through /etc/hosts file entries might help.

What O/S's are we talking about here?

---------- Post updated at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:21 PM ----------

Stating the obvious, LAN connections do not need any ISP or WAN involvement once the connection is established.

I may well be wrong but my experience would tell me to look at the DNS service reliability and/or the actual DNS settings and where they are acquired. This type of timeout connection issue bears all the hallmarks of a DNS screw up.

Let's hope we soon get other input from other forum members. There's probably questions that I've forgotten to ask.

---------- Post updated at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:30 PM ----------

You could configure another system on your LAN as an internet proxy server if you believe for some reason that it won't suffer the same issue. You'd then need to configure all your workstations to use that proxy (or autodetect that proxy).

---------- Post updated at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:35 PM ----------

You could interrogate your systems to see what primary DNS and secondary DNS server ip addresses they are using. Then set up a couple of machines to ping each of these continuously. See if they are still successfully pinging when the problem occurs or whether the DNS servers are unreachable at that time.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Software/tool to route an IP packet to proxy server and capture the Proxy reply as an

Hi, I am involved in a project on Debian. One of my requirement is to route an IP packet in my application to a proxy server and receive the reply from the proxy server as an IP packet. My application handles data at the IP frame level. My application creates an IP packet(with all the necessary... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajesh_BK
0 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Setting up an Internet proxy

Setting up an Internet proxy - need help Hi guys In the past I had set a computer to act as an Internet proxy. This would be multihomed, and running dansguardian, tinyproxy and firehol. Then webmin would be used as interface. By time I realised that this system is far from effective.... Is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramon82
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need a stable proxy server or free ssh account to visit blocked sites, who can help?

In our country, blogspot.com, twitter.com facebook.com....and more excellent sites are blocked by the Goverment FireWall, who can help me ? thanks a lot for your kind. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shuke
2 Replies

4. Linux

SFTP an internet address from a system behind an internet proxy

I was wondering if it is possible to setup SFTP to go through the internet proxy while connecting to an internet location. Problem: Client system is behind internet proxy. SFTP to any internet location fails as there is no documented way to configure SFTP to connect to internet locations through... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toobrown1
4 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

SQUID proxy : How do I limit internet connectivity to X hrs/day

Hi Everyone! A friend of mine is looking for a way to limit time his kids spent on the internet. I told him he should try out Squid proxy server. He now tries to find a way to limit total time spend on the internet to "X" hours a day, at any time during the day. I remember there are built-in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: togr
3 Replies

6. IP Networking

Connecting via proxy chain to Upstream proxy

I need to configure a proxy on my local machine to use an upstream proxy (installed on another machine). The upstream proxy requires Digest/NTLM authorization. I want the local proxy to deal with the upstream proxy's authorization details and provides authorization free access to users that connect... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Russel
0 Replies
ipa-dns-install(1)						 IPA Manual Pages						ipa-dns-install(1)

NAME
ipa-dns-install - Add DNS as a service to an IPA server SYNOPSIS
ipa-dns-install [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Adds DNS as an IPA-managed service. This requires that the IPA server is already installed and configured. OPTIONS
-p DM_PASSWORD, --ds-password=DM_PASSWORD The password to be used by the Directory Server for the Directory Manager user -d, --debug Enable debug logging when more verbose output is needed --ip-address=IP_ADDRESS The IP address of the IPA server. If not provided then this is determined based on the hostname of the server. --forwarder=FORWARDER A forwarder is a DNS server where queries for a specific non-resolvable address can be directed. To define multiple forwarders use multiple instances of --forwarder --no-forwarders Do not add any DNS forwarders, send non-resolvable addresses to the DNS root servers. --reverse-zone=REVERSE_ZONE The reverse DNS zone to use --no-reverse Do not create new reverse DNS zone. If used on a replica and a reverse DNS zone already exists for the subnet, it will be used. --zonemgr The e-mail address of the DNS zone manager. Defaults to hostmaster@DOMAIN -U, --unattended An unattended installation that will never prompt for user input EXIT STATUS
0 if the installation was successful 1 if an error occurred IPA
Jun 28, 2012 ipa-dns-install(1)