Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk: Storing string in array(triangular form) Post 302963685 by RavinderSingh13 on Tuesday 5th of January 2016 03:51:14 AM
Old 01-05-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by siramitsharma
Thanks ravinder, but i need to store the same in array which is being mentioned in my bash code & not explicitly printing like the one you mentioned,i.e, if i access A[0] then i should get value 0, if i access A[1] then i should get value 01 & so on. Can you please advice accordingly?
Hello siramitsharma,

Following is the complete explanation for post above, which may help you to understand the code.
Code:
echo "014387650"          ####### using echo to print the string provided by OP in POST.
|                         ####### Using | to send previous command's standard output as standard input to next command.
awk '{n=split($0, A,"");  ####### using split function here to split the elements of line into an array named A and whose delimiter is NULL. Also taking the count of elements in array A into variable named n.
if(A[1]==0){              ####### Checking here if very first element of array or very first digit of line is 0, if it is 0 then later when we append all the elements it is not showing them in that variable like 01, 014 etc it shows rather 1, 14 so only checking it here itself.
e=1};                     ####### Setting variable named e's value to 1 here.
for(i=1;i<=n;i++){        ####### starting a loop for which will run till the value of variable n.
while(q<=i){              ####### Starting a while loop which will till the value of q is equal to variable's i.
W=W?W A[q]:A[q];q++};     ####### Here I am taking values into variable named W, so each time while loop will run it will append values into variable W, then incrementing the value of q to make loop running correctly.
if(e && i>1){             ####### Now checking value of variable named e's value and if it is 1 it means first element of line is 0 and i's value should be greater than 1.
W=0 W};                   ####### If above condition is TRUE then make variable W's value to 0 W.
print "A[" i-1 "]=" W;    ####### printing value of variable W now.
W="";q=1}}'               ####### Nullifying the variable named W and setting q's value to 1 now.

Thanks,
R. Singh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing pointer array in C

All .. I am having a pointer array . And trying to store the addess into that pointer array . please see below the problem i faced code: int cnt1; char *t_array; char *f_array; for(cnt1=0; cnt1<1000; cnt1++) { t_array =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing variables in array.Please help

Hi All, I need some help with arrays. I need to take input from the user for hostname, username and password until he enters .(dot) or any other character and store the values in the variable array. I would further connect to the hostname using username and passwd and copy files from server to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing records in awk array

hi i have a file as follows: 1 2 3 4 5 6 i want to store all these numbers in an array using awk.. so far i have: awk '{for(i=1;i<=NR;i++) {a=$1}} END {for(i=1;i<=NR;i++) {printf("%1.11f",a)}}' 1.csv > test however, i am getting all values as zero in the "test" file..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing values in a list or array

i have a file called file.txt having the following entries. 2321 2311 2313 4213 i wnat to store these values in a list and i want to iterate the list using loop and store it in another list (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

fetching values using awk and storing into array

hi all I am using awk utility to parse the file and fetching two different vaues from two different record of a record set. I am able to see the result, now i want to store the result and perform some check of each values form database to mark valid and invalid. could you please help me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: singhald
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - from arrays to lower triangular matrix

Hi, I have to reshape some ascii files. I have many ascii files that have collapsed the lower triangular of my matrix into row. I simply want to convert them back to the proper matrix form. So, my current data looks like this: 11 21 22 31 32 33 41 42 43 44 ... This is five columns of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viko Haestner
2 Replies

7. Programming

C; storing strings in an array

I am trying to get userinput from stdin and store the lines in an array. If i do this: using a char **list to store strings allocate memory to it #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { char *prog = argv; char **linelist; int... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tornow
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing command output in an array

Hi, I want keep/save one command's output in an array and later want to iterate over the array one by one for some processing. instead of doing like below- for str in `cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '$3 >100 {print $1}' | uniq` want to store- my_array = `cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '$3 >100 {print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing two dimensional array for postprocessing

Hi Community, Would love to get some quick help on below requirement. I am trying to process mpstat output from multiple blades of my server I would like to assign this the output to an array and then use it for post processing. How can I use a two dimensional array and assign these value ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshark
23 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies
COUNT(3)								 1								  COUNT(3)

count - Count all elements in an array, or something in an object

SYNOPSIS
int count (mixed $array_or_countable, [int $mode = COUNT_NORMAL]) DESCRIPTION
Counts all elements in an array, or something in an object. For objects, if you have SPL installed, you can hook into count(3) by implementing interface Countable. The interface has exactly one method, Countable::count, which returns the return value for the count(3) function. Please see the Array section of the manual for a detailed explanation of how arrays are implemented and used in PHP. PARAMETERS
o $array_or_countable - An array or Countable object. o $mode - If the optional $mode parameter is set to COUNT_RECURSIVE (or 1), count(3) will recursively count the array. This is particu- larly useful for counting all the elements of a multidimensional array. Caution count(3) can detect recursion to avoid an infinite loop, but will emit an E_WARNING every time it does (in case the array contains itself more than once) and return a count higher than may be expected. RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of elements in $array_or_countable. If the parameter is not an array or not an object with implemented Countable inter- face, 1 will be returned. There is one exception, if $array_or_countable is NULL, 0 will be returned. Caution count(3) may return 0 for a variable that isn't set, but it may also return 0 for a variable that has been initialized with an empty array. Use isset(3) to test if a variable is set. EXAMPLES
Example #1 count(3) example <?php $a[0] = 1; $a[1] = 3; $a[2] = 5; $result = count($a); // $result == 3 $b[0] = 7; $b[5] = 9; $b[10] = 11; $result = count($b); // $result == 3 $result = count(null); // $result == 0 $result = count(false); // $result == 1 ?> Example #2 Recursive count(3) example <?php $food = array('fruits' => array('orange', 'banana', 'apple'), 'veggie' => array('carrot', 'collard', 'pea')); // recursive count echo count($food, COUNT_RECURSIVE); // output 8 // normal count echo count($food); // output 2 ?> SEE ALSO
is_array(3), isset(3), strlen(3). PHP Documentation Group COUNT(3)