Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Spacing off when files combined using awk or cat Post 302963664 by cmccabe on Monday 4th of January 2016 04:56:46 PM
Old 01-04-2016
So would the below work? Thank you Smilie

Code:
for f in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/folder/*.txt ; do
     bname=`basename $f`
     pref=${bname%%.txt}
    sed 's/\r//' | | sed -E 's,\\t|\\r|\\n,,g' $f > /home/cmccabe/Desktop/new/${pref}_unix.txt
done

Last edited by cmccabe; 01-04-2016 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: added edit of new code

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk not printing the last combined column

nawk -F "|" 'FNR==NR {a=$2 OFS $3 OFS $4 OFS $5 OFS $6;next}\ {if ($5 in a)print $1,"test",$5,a, $2,$3,$4 OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS $2-$3-$4 ; \ else print $1,"Database",$5 OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS $2,$3,$4 OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS OFS $2-$3-$4 }' OFS="|" \ file1 file2 > file3 This... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combined many txt files by columns

Hi, I want to combined 500 .txt files (each file only has one line) to a single txt file (A.txt). for example, A1.txt with 12 23 34 45 A2.txt with 56 67 78 89 ...etc, so I have A1.txt, A2.txt... , A499.txt, A500.txt (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AMBER
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging of files with different headers to make combined headers file

Hi , I have a typical situation. I have 4 files and with different headers (number of headers is varible ). I need to make such a merged file which will have headers combined from all files (comman coluns should appear once only). For example - File 1 H1|H2|H3|H4 11|12|13|14 21|22|23|23... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marut_ashu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat 114 files using grep or awk to pull muliple fields

Files xxxxxxx.txt ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Req.By: xxxxxxx WABUSH MINES - xxxxxx MINE (1001) Page: 1 Run on: 12/14/09... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sctxms
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk for scientific notion and decimal combined data

Dea all, I have a question. I have a column of numbers with scientific notion and decimal combined data. I want to print it only if the number <0.05 using awk. however the very small numbers with scientific notion is not selected. Do any one know how to solve it? Thanks! example as below: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed: change the color of a column w/o screwing up column spacing

Hey folks. I wrote a little awk script that summarizes /proc/net/dev info and then pipes it to the nix column command to set up column spacing appropriately. Here's some example output: Iface RxMBytes RxPackets RxErrs RxDrop TxMBytes TxPackets TxErrs TxDrop bond0 9 83830... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryran
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep and cat combined

Hello, i need to search one word (snp1) from many files and copy the content of the columns of this word in new file. example: file 1: SNP BP CHR P snp1 1 3 0.01 snp2 2 2 0.05 . . file 2: SNP BP CHR P snp1 1 3 0.06 snp2 2 2 0.3 output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biopsy
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk combined with an IF

Hi everybody! I try to printout a csv-file with the exeption of cell $1 and $4. what i tried so far: awk '{for(i = 1; i<=NF; i++);if(i == 1 || i == 4);else print($i)}' file.csv ..any ideas how it work and why my example fails? Thanks in advance! IMPe (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combined sed+awk for lookup csv file

have written a combined sed+awk to perform a lookup operation which works but looking to enhance it. looking to match a record using any of the comma separated values + return selected fields from the record - including the field header. so: cat foo make,model,engine,trim,value... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack.bauer
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lost redirecting stderr & stdout to 3 files - one each plus combined

Hi folks I need/want to redirect output (stdout, stderr) from an exec call to separate files. One for stderr only and two(!) different (!) ones for the combined output of stderr and stdout. After some research and testing i got this so far : (( exec ${command} ${command_parameters} 3>&1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDominok
6 Replies
BASENAME(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       BASENAME(3)

NAME
basename, dirname - parse pathname components SYNOPSIS
#include <libgen.h> char *dirname(char *path); char *basename(char *path); DESCRIPTION
Warning: there are two different functions basename() - see below. The functions dirname() and basename() break a null-terminated pathname string into directory and filename components. In the usual case, dirname() returns the string up to, but not including, the final '/', and basename() returns the component following the final '/'. Trail- ing '/' characters are not counted as part of the pathname. If path does not contain a slash, dirname() returns the string "." while basename() returns a copy of path. If path is the string "/", then both dirname() and basename() return the string "/". If path is a NULL pointer or points to an empty string, then both dirname() and basename() return the string ".". Concatenating the string returned by dirname(), a "/", and the string returned by basename() yields a complete pathname. Both dirname() and basename() may modify the contents of path, so it may be desirable to pass a copy when calling one of these functions. These functions may return pointers to statically allocated memory which may be overwritten by subsequent calls. Alternatively, they may return a pointer to some part of path, so that the string referred to by path should not be modified or freed until the pointer returned by the function is no longer required. The following list of examples (taken from SUSv2) shows the strings returned by dirname() and basename() for different paths: path dirname basename "/usr/lib" "/usr" "lib" "/usr/" "/" "usr" "usr" "." "usr" "/" "/" "/" "." "." "." ".." "." ".." RETURN VALUE
Both dirname() and basename() return pointers to null-terminated strings. (Do not pass these pointers to free(3).) CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
There are two different versions of basename() - the POSIX version described above, and the GNU version, which one gets after #define _GNU_SOURCE #include <string.h> The GNU version never modifies its argument, and returns the empty string when path has a trailing slash, and in particular also when it is "/". There is no GNU version of dirname(). With glibc, one gets the POSIX version of basename() when <libgen.h> is included, and the GNU version otherwise. BUGS
In the glibc implementation of the POSIX versions of these functions they modify their argument, and segfault when called with a static string like "/usr/". Before glibc 2.2.1, the glibc version of dirname() did not correctly handle pathnames with trailing '/' characters, and generated a segfault if given a NULL argument. EXAMPLE
char *dirc, *basec, *bname, *dname; char *path = "/etc/passwd"; dirc = strdup(path); basec = strdup(path); dname = dirname(dirc); bname = basename(basec); printf("dirname=%s, basename=%s ", dname, bname); SEE ALSO
basename(1), dirname(1), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2009-03-30 BASENAME(3)