Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Virtualizing Physical Machine Post 302963641 by JME2015 on Monday 4th of January 2016 02:27:29 PM
Old 01-04-2016
Thanks agent.kdb , Can I ask you this, even all the LPARs are in a same network , don't you still need a VLAN to configure the SEA. How do you configure SEA without VLAN tagging Or I am just dumb . I thought even for the simplest SEA you have to do the following .
$ mkvdev -sea <PHYSICAL NIC> -vadapter <VIRT Ethernet> -default <VIRT Ethernet > -defaultid <VLAN>

How are the other client LPARs will share the network without VLAN, how would create vethernet for the client LPAR?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical volume and physical disk.

Hello, I need explanations about physical disks and physical volumes. What is the difference between these 2 things? In fact, i am trying to understand what the AIX lspv2command does. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Physical volume- no free physical partitions

I was in smit, checking on disc space, etc. and it appears that one of our physical volumes that is part of a large volume group, has no free physical partitions. The server is running AIX 5.1. What would be the advisable step to take in this instance? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: markper
9 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to find the number of physical processors and architecture in a hp-ux machine

Hi, I have two questions here. I need to find out the number of physical processors the HP-UX operating system is running in. Here i am referring to the physical processors in a system and not the number of cores. I can get the number of cores using the command 'ioscan -fnkC processor'.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shawshank
7 Replies

4. AIX

Maximum Limit of HMC to handle Physical Power Virtualization Physical Machine

Hello All, Can anybody please tell me what is the maximum limit of Physical IBM Power Machine which can be handled by single HMC at a single point of time? Thanks, Jenish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenish_shah
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with old DG/UX machine, virtualizing?

Hey all, We have an old Data General Unix system (DG/UX) on an old AViiON machine. That DG system is Intel-based (PentiumPro) and we are trying to virtualize / emulate it. DG was a clever system, as it cannot be installed on a 'regular' x86 machine, only on an AViiON box. I think I figured out... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgux
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Virtualizing SCO v5 - interesting project/nightmare, could use some help

same old story, we have an important very old app running on SCO 5, box is only on LAN and as such was never updated by anyone etc.. box is nearing its end of life in a bad way (currently experiencing some SCSI issues) and it's time to do something when good advice of "lets upgrade" for years was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mc18
1 Replies

7. Solaris

How to count number of physical and virtual processors on Solaris machine.?

hi, I am using command psrinfo -p to check the number of physical processors present on any soalris machine.I want to check the number of virtual processors assigned for particular solaris machine. which command/set of command need to be used which can grep or show the total virtual processors... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to check everything are migrated after the physical to vmware virtual machine?

I have a physical machine , just use vmware tools migrated data to virtual machine . how can I check these two servers - old and new server , the data are the same , all files are copy to new server ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust3
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find whether Solaris installed on physical machine or on a VMware/KVM?

Hi All, . I am trying to find whether Solaris 11 installed on physical server or on VMware/KVM. I tried uname -a but it's giving only whether i installed on X86 or sparc machine. I tried prtdiag command but it's giving below information. command : prtdiag -v |grep "System... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani25
2 Replies
VLAN(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   VLAN(4)

NAME
vlan -- IEEE 802.1Q VLAN network interface SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device vlan Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_vlan_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The vlan driver demultiplexes frames tagged according to the IEEE 802.1Q standard into logical vlan network interfaces, which allows rout- ing/bridging between multiple VLANs through a single switch trunk port. Each vlan interface is created at runtime using interface cloning. This is most easily done with the ifconfig(8) create command or using the cloned_interfaces variable in rc.conf(5). To function, a vlan interface must be assigned a parent interface and numeric VLAN tag using ifconfig(8). A single parent can be assigned to multiple vlan interfaces provided they have different tags. The parent interface is likely to be an Ethernet card connected to a properly configured switch port. The VLAN tag should match one of those set up in the switched network. Initially vlan assumes the same minimum length for tagged and untagged frames. This mode is selected by the sysctl(8) variable net.link.vlan.soft_pad set to 0 (default). However, there are network devices that fail to adjust frame length, should it fall below the allowed minimum due to untagging. Such devices should be able to interoperate with vlan after changing the value of net.link.vlan.soft_pad to 1. In the latter mode, vlan will pad short frames before tagging them so that their length stays not less than the minimum value after untagging by the non-compliant devices. HARDWARE
The vlan driver supports efficient operation over parent interfaces that can provide help in processing VLANs. Such interfaces are automati- cally recognized by their capabilities. Depending on the level of sophistication found in a physical interface, it may do full VLAN process- ing or just be able to receive and transmit long frames (up to 1522 bytes including an Ethernet header and FCS). The capabilities may be user-controlled by the respective parameters to ifconfig(8), vlanhwtag and vlanmtu. However, a physical interface is not obliged to react to them: It may have either capability enabled permanently without a way to turn it off. The whole issue is very specific to a particular device and its driver. By now, the list of physical interfaces able of full VLAN processing in the hardware is limited to the following devices: ae(4), age(4), alc(4), ale(4), bce(4), bge(4), cxgb(4), em(4), ixgb(4), jme(4), msk(4), nge(4), re(4), sge(4), stge(4), ti(4), txp(4), and vge(4). The rest of the Ethernet interfaces can run VLANs using software emulation in the vlan driver. However, some of them lack the capability of transmitting and receiving long frames. Assigning such an interface as the parent to vlan will result in a reduced MTU on the corresponding vlan interfaces. In the modern Internet, this is likely to cause tcp(4) connectivity problems due to massive, inadequate icmp(4) filtering that breaks the Path MTU Discovery mechanism. The following interfaces support long frames for vlan natively: bfe(4), cas(4), dc(4), fwe(4), fxp(4), gem(4), hme(4), le(4), nfe(4), nve(4), rl(4), sf(4), sis(4), sk(4), ste(4), tl(4), tx(4), vr(4), and xl(4). The vlan driver automatically recognizes devices that natively support long frames for vlan use and calculates the appropriate frame MTU based on the capabilities of the parent interface. Some other interfaces not listed above may handle long frames, but they do not advertise this ability of theirs. The MTU setting on vlan can be corrected manually if used in conjunction with such a parent interface. SEE ALSO
ifconfig(8), sysctl(8) BUGS
No 802.1Q features except VLAN tagging are implemented. BSD
April 14, 2010 BSD