Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Whats the most in-demand programming language UNIX Post 302963637 by yifangt on Monday 4th of January 2016 01:16:49 PM
Old 01-04-2016
Similar question, or related:
For "daily" jobs, perl/python/bash would be enough as my work is in bioinformatics.

I found out C/C++ maybe the "must-have" if any complicate problems like genome assembly (string searching & joining) with big data files are (10~100GB of millions of rows) normally used.
First skill is to handle big files;
Second is manipulation of data structures (suffix arrays, transformation of data format/structure) using smart algorithms.
Both need manage memory efficiently, and C/C++ seem the best choice, if not the only one as I know.
I was wondering what background are those softwares devloper? Guess they are majoring in software engineering. And how did they develop the prgoramming skilles? Or, how can I develop skills to glue the components together like the software enginner?
"Practice-practice-practice" is too vague to me. Especially I am stuck at the beginning.

Last edited by yifangt; 01-05-2016 at 03:38 PM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does the programming language matters?

I see you guys encouraged people studied and used C while they were working on UNIX. Does C++ or JAVA matter? And in the past threads, Neo, PxT, and other members recommanded lots good books. I think those people who asked for the references, such as Dominic, had experiences on sys admin or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
8 Replies

2. Programming

c programming language

Can someone enligten me on what below program does? I understand getchar and putchar.. but what is this program suppose to do? I try to put printf on it, but it shows nothing.. can someone explain to me what this program is suppose to do? It is reading something and assigning to c? so, if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is PERL a programming language?

I need a small and simple clarification... Can someone tell me whether PERL is a programming language or not. Also, can shell scripts also considered as programming language or not. Also, please tell me the exact difference between programming language and scripting. Please help.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
3 Replies

5. Programming

How is a new Web Development language written ?

I'm wondering how programmers develop new Web Development languages because I want to learn how everything begins from the start. Let's say I'm planning to write a new language for the Web. How do I do this? Is there anyone who knows about the way Web Development languages first appear ? I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

What area in Linux/UNIX is most in demand?

What area in linux makes the most money. What area in linux is most in demand. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zbest1966
1 Replies
BP_PROCESS_GADFLY(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     BP_PROCESS_GADFLY(1p)

NAME
process_gadfly.pl - Massage Gadfly/FlyBase GFF files into a version suitable for the Generic Genome Browser SYNOPSIS
% process_gadfly.pl ./RELEASE2 > gadfly.gff DESCRIPTION
This script massages the RELEASE 3 Flybase/Gadfly GFF files located at http://www.fruitfly.org/sequence/release3download.shtml into the "correct" version of the GFF format. To use this script, download the whole genome FASTA file and save it to disk. (The downloaded file will be called something like "na_whole-genome_genomic_dmel_RELEASE3.FASTA", but the link on the HTML page doesn't give the filename.) Do the same for the whole genome GFF annotation file (the saved file will be called something like "whole-genome_annotation-feature-region_dmel_RELEASE3.GFF".) If you wish you can download the ZIP compressed versions of these files. Next run this script on the two files, indicating the name of the downloaded FASTA file first, followed by the gff file: % process_gadfly.pl na_whole-genome_genomic_dmel_RELEASE3.FASTA whole-genome_annotation-feature-region_dmel_RELEASE3.GFF > fly.gff The gadfly.gff file and the fasta file can now be loaded into a Bio::DB::GFF database using the following command: % bulk_load_gff.pl -d fly -fasta na_whole-genome_genomic_dmel_RELEASE3.FASTA fly.gff (Where "fly" is the name of the database. Change it as appropriate. The database must already exist and be writable by you!) The resulting database will have the following feature types (represented as "method:source"): Component:arm A chromosome arm Component:scaffold A chromosome scaffold (accession #) Component:gap A gap in the assembly clone:clonelocator A BAC clone gene:gadfly A gene accession number transcript:gadfly A transcript accession number translation:gadfly A translation codon:gadfly Significance unknown exon:gadfly An exon symbol:gadfly A classical gene symbol similarity:blastn A BLASTN hit similarity:blastx A BLASTX hit similarity:sim4 EST->genome using SIM4 similarity:groupest EST->genome using GROUPEST similarity:repeatmasker A repeat IMPORTANT NOTE: This script will *only* work with the RELEASE3 gadfly files and will not work with earlier releases. SEE ALSO
Bio::DB::GFF, bulk_load_gff.pl, load_gff.pl AUTHOR
Lincoln Stein, lstein@cshl.org Copyright (c) 2002 Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See DISCLAIMER.txt for disclaimers of warranty. perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 BP_PROCESS_GADFLY(1p)