Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Whats the most in-demand programming language UNIX Post 302963629 by joeyg on Monday 4th of January 2016 12:34:29 PM
Old 01-04-2016
Depends on your interests

I concur with Jim -- the answer should be based more on what you like to do and what you want to do.
1) I spent several years managing unix environments; all the op stuff from users to backup to communications to tuning.
2) I also spent a couple years doing lots of detail-based data conversions for a company that processed millions of data records. This required a good understanding of data manipulaiton, methods to be efficient (speed and temp data size) since sometimes the files were huge.
2a) Accompanying this, there were automation skills. Since the data manipulations were often done on different systems and reapeatedly, there was an effort to automate many of the steps - for speed (no wasted time between steps) and accuracy (avoiding mis-typed switches or filenames).

So, do any of these sound like what you want to do? Or is there a specific area you have heard of?

~Joe
This User Gave Thanks to joeyg For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does the programming language matters?

I see you guys encouraged people studied and used C while they were working on UNIX. Does C++ or JAVA matter? And in the past threads, Neo, PxT, and other members recommanded lots good books. I think those people who asked for the references, such as Dominic, had experiences on sys admin or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
8 Replies

2. Programming

c programming language

Can someone enligten me on what below program does? I understand getchar and putchar.. but what is this program suppose to do? I try to put printf on it, but it shows nothing.. can someone explain to me what this program is suppose to do? It is reading something and assigning to c? so, if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is PERL a programming language?

I need a small and simple clarification... Can someone tell me whether PERL is a programming language or not. Also, can shell scripts also considered as programming language or not. Also, please tell me the exact difference between programming language and scripting. Please help.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
3 Replies

5. Programming

How is a new Web Development language written ?

I'm wondering how programmers develop new Web Development languages because I want to learn how everything begins from the start. Let's say I'm planning to write a new language for the Web. How do I do this? Is there anyone who knows about the way Web Development languages first appear ? I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

What area in Linux/UNIX is most in demand?

What area in linux makes the most money. What area in linux is most in demand. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zbest1966
1 Replies
BPLAY(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BPLAY(1)

NAME
bplay, brec - buffered sound recording/playing SYNOPSIS
bplay [-d device] [-B buffersize] [-S] [-s speed] [-b bits] [[-t secs] | [-T samples]] [[-j secs] | [-J samples]] [-D level] [file] brec [-d device] [-B buffersize] [-S] [-s speed] [-b bits] [[-t secs] | [-T samples]] [-r|-v|-w] [-D level] [file] DESCRIPTION
bplay copies data from the named sound file (or the standard input if no filename is given) to the audio device. brec copies data from the audio device to the named sound file (or the standard output if no filename is present). These programs are intended to be drop-in replacements for the vplay and vrec programs by Michael Beck (beck@informatik.hu-berlin.de). OPTIONS -B buffersize Use the supplied audio buffer size instead of the default. -d device Use the supplied audio device instead of the default. -S Sound file is stereo. -s speed The speed in samples per second. -b bits The number of bits per sample. Only 8 and 16 are currently supported. -t secs The number of seconds to be played or recorded. -T samples The number of samples to be played or recorded. -j secs When playing, the number of seconds to skip at the beginning of the input before playing. -J samples When playing, the number of samples to skip at the beginning of the input before playing. -r When recording, write raw sound file. -v When recording, write Creative Labs VOC sound file. -w When recording write Microsoft Wave sound file. Note that the WAVE file format is limited to 4GiB filesize. Recording more data is possible, but the length info won't be consistent. -q Quiet mode. No messages are displayed. -D level Print debug information to stderr. Debug level ranges from 0 to 2, where 0 is no debug information. FILES
/dev/dsp The audio device. BUGS
The -t, -T, -j and -J options may do strange things when playing VOC files. There are limitations on recording VOC format files - specifically VOC files are only recorded in the 1.20 version of the format, which some player programs may choke on. There is also currently a limit of around 16M on the size of a VOC file which will be recorded. This is probably not a problem since I don't think anybody really uses VOC files anymore. This program prefers to run setuid root. This is because it wants to use setpriority() to run at the highest possible priority, and also locks down the buffers it uses to avoid them being swapped out. AUTHOR
David Monro (davidm@amberdata.demon.co.uk or davidm@cs.usyd.edu.au) The option parsing code was originally taken from vplay to maintain compatibility. 20 September 1999 BPLAY(1)