Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Whats the most in-demand programming language UNIX Post 302963539 by jim mcnamara on Friday 1st of January 2016 06:29:34 PM
Old 01-01-2016
I think maybe a better answer is an example:

At my work I have to use the following to get my job done, though you may note view them as compiled languages they all involve a syntax:
C, Oracle PL/SQL, ksh, bash, awk, dtrace, make (makefile syntax), java, SAS. All in the context of multiple applications so network protocols are important, as is TCP/IP programming (sockets).

Why?

Companies usually rely on networks of linux/unix servers, windows servers, and application servers on linux. So solving a single problem can take you anywhere - from program code, user environment settings to Operating system issues and networking.

To navigate through this mess you need lots of different skills.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does the programming language matters?

I see you guys encouraged people studied and used C while they were working on UNIX. Does C++ or JAVA matter? And in the past threads, Neo, PxT, and other members recommanded lots good books. I think those people who asked for the references, such as Dominic, had experiences on sys admin or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
8 Replies

2. Programming

c programming language

Can someone enligten me on what below program does? I understand getchar and putchar.. but what is this program suppose to do? I try to put printf on it, but it shows nothing.. can someone explain to me what this program is suppose to do? It is reading something and assigning to c? so, if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: convenientstore
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Carreer:Networking Programming in Unix (C programming Language)

Hello, I am trying to learn Networking Programming in C in unix enviorment. I want to know how good it is to become a network programmer. i am crazy about Network programming but i also want to opt for the best carreer options. Anybody experienced Network Programmer, please tell me is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhory2j
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is PERL a programming language?

I need a small and simple clarification... Can someone tell me whether PERL is a programming language or not. Also, can shell scripts also considered as programming language or not. Also, please tell me the exact difference between programming language and scripting. Please help.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
3 Replies

5. Programming

How is a new Web Development language written ?

I'm wondering how programmers develop new Web Development languages because I want to learn how everything begins from the start. Let's say I'm planning to write a new language for the Web. How do I do this? Is there anyone who knows about the way Web Development languages first appear ? I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

What area in Linux/UNIX is most in demand?

What area in linux makes the most money. What area in linux is most in demand. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zbest1966
1 Replies
UUID(3) 							    Libuuid API 							   UUID(3)

NAME
uuid - DCE compatible Universally Unique Identifier library SYNOPSIS
#include <uuid/uuid.h> DESCRIPTION
The UUID library is used to generate unique identifiers for objects that may be accessible beyond the local system. This library generates UUIDs compatible with those created by the Open Software Foundation (OSF) Distributed Computing Environment (DCE) utility uuidgen. The UUIDs generated by this library can be reasonably expected to be unique within a system, and unique across all systems. They could be used, for instance, to generate unique HTTP cookies across multiple web servers without communication between the servers, and without fear of a name clash. CONFORMING TO
OSF DCE 1.1 AUTHOR
Theodore Y. Ts'o AVAILABILITY
libuuid is part of the util-linux package since version 2.15.1 and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. SEE ALSO
uuid_clear(3), uuid_compare(3), uuid_copy(3), uuid_generate(3), uuid_is_null(3), uuid_parse(3), uuid_time(3), uuid_unparse(3) util-linux May 2009 UUID(3)