Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Nanosleep in signal call
Top Forums Programming Nanosleep in signal call Post 302963489 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 31st of December 2015 10:05:18 AM
Old 12-31-2015
I am guessing you do not want signal handling at all, other than cleaning up open files and buffers when your app gets a SIGTERM, for example.

Why? read.

This says you are designing an app that has an associated process that is doing reads.
Consider another standard IPC model instead. They are a much better choice if you must do reads in one process.

Overview:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/tlk/ipc/ipc.html

Pipes are great, they are very like playing with files.
The GNU C Library: Creating a Pipe

Shared memory among processes is also a great feature. You can atomically set a variable in shared memory, then execute a read into a buffer there.
Use semaphores for traffic control. This one is straightforward to get right.
shm_overview(7) - Linux manual page

Overall, consider getting a copy of 3rd Edition of Stevens & Rago 'Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment'. Michael Kerrisk has done the same thing purely for Linux - 'The LINUX Programming Interface'

Both of these have great examples of all of IPC, and explain how not to shoot yourself in the foot. Like you seemed to want to do. They fully cover signals as well, if you cannot change your system design, and have to continue into the Dark Side.

Have a good New Year!

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 12-31-2015 at 11:11 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sigwait system call in UNIX signal

Hi Everybody, I have gone through man of sigwait and new to UNIX signals. Could anyone explain me about the following lines mentioned in sigwait man help ? "The selection of a signal in set is independent of the signal mask of the calling thread or LWP. This means a thread or LWP can ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: md7ahuja
1 Replies

2. Programming

nanosleep

Hello, Can anyone, please, guide me on the use of nanosleep. I'm learning threads. I want to introduce a delay (not nested for loops, something more customizable). Nanosleep looked useful (or any other form of customizable and easy-to-use delay). Sleep is too long. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameya
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

4. Programming

nanosleep returns prematurely, with return value 0

Hi, I have encountered the following problem on Solaris 10: I have a thread that is asleep on nanosleep (set to 24 hours). Something that happens on another thread, causes the nanosleep to exit, even though the time has not elapsed. The returned value is 0 (so it doesn't look like it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MeMyself
1 Replies

5. Programming

Problem with signal handler and interrupted system call

Hi, I have a daq program that runs in an infinite loop until it receives SIGINT. A handler catches the signal and sets a flag to stop the while loop. After the loop some things have to be cleaned up. The problem is that I want my main while loop to wait until the next full second begins, to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soeckel
2 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

diffrence between method call and function call in perl

Hello, I have a problem with package and name space. require "/Mehran/DSGateEngineLib/general.pl"; use strict; sub System_Status_Main_Service_Status_Intrusion_Prevention { my %idpstatus; my @result; &General_ReadHash("/var/dsg/idp/settings",\%idpstatus); #print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do I need to call make if I call gcc ?

Why do I need to call make if I call gcc ? I thought gcc already compiles the sources. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
1 Replies

8. Programming

Where is nanosleep?

I use nanosleep under solaris10,like follows: #include <pthread.h> #include <time.h> #include <sys/time.h> struct to_info{ void (*to_fn)(void *); void *to_arg; struct timespec to_wait; }; void *timeout_helper(void *arg){ struct to_info *tip; nanosleep(&tip->to_wait,NULL);... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: konvalo
1 Replies

9. Programming

nanosleep

Application runs on both solaris 6 and 10. solaris 6 having only posix4.so library, solaris 10 having libposix4.so and librt.so Can we link application to lposix4 instead of lrt for nanosleep, sothat application will run in both machines? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
2 Replies
gnutls_pkcs11_token_get_url(3)					      gnutls					    gnutls_pkcs11_token_get_url(3)

NAME
gnutls_pkcs11_token_get_url - API function SYNOPSIS
#include <gnutls/pkcs11.h> int gnutls_pkcs11_token_get_url(unsigned int seq, gnutls_pkcs11_url_type_t detailed, char ** url); ARGUMENTS
unsigned int seq sequence number starting from 0 gnutls_pkcs11_url_type_t detailed non zero if a detailed URL is required char ** url will contain an allocated url DESCRIPTION
This function will return the URL for each token available in system. The url has to be released using gnutls_free() RETURNS
On success, GNUTLS_E_SUCCESS (0) is returned, GNUTLS_E_REQUESTED_DATA_NOT_AVAILABLE if the sequence number exceeds the available tokens, otherwise a negative error value. SINCE
2.12.0 REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnutls@gnu.org>. General guidelines for reporting bugs: http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/ GnuTLS home page: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.. Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification, are permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright notice and this notice are preserved. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for gnutls is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and gnutls programs are properly installed at your site, the command info gnutls should give you access to the complete manual. As an alternative you may obtain the manual from: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/manual/ gnutls 3.1.15 gnutls_pkcs11_token_get_url(3)