Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Nanosleep in signal call
Top Forums Programming Nanosleep in signal call Post 302963454 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 30th of December 2015 06:33:56 PM
Old 12-30-2015
I believe rand() is not async safe as well - you cannot have interruptible calls in your signal handler. Well make that should not have. It uses global variables which is another problem. Plus you are doing a lot in your signal handler, so also consider blocking SIGUSR1 as the first step in your handler. Multiple signals can mess up your code otherwise - especially the rand() call. New applications should use the POSIX signal API (sigaction(2), sigprocmask(2), etc.) which is what you did and that is good.

Next:
Code:
signal_name = "SIGUSR1";

could SEGFAULT, but in any case it is undefined behavior: const *signal_name;

Last edited by jim mcnamara; 12-30-2015 at 07:39 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sigwait system call in UNIX signal

Hi Everybody, I have gone through man of sigwait and new to UNIX signals. Could anyone explain me about the following lines mentioned in sigwait man help ? "The selection of a signal in set is independent of the signal mask of the calling thread or LWP. This means a thread or LWP can ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: md7ahuja
1 Replies

2. Programming

nanosleep

Hello, Can anyone, please, guide me on the use of nanosleep. I'm learning threads. I want to introduce a delay (not nested for loops, something more customizable). Nanosleep looked useful (or any other form of customizable and easy-to-use delay). Sleep is too long. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameya
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

4. Programming

nanosleep returns prematurely, with return value 0

Hi, I have encountered the following problem on Solaris 10: I have a thread that is asleep on nanosleep (set to 24 hours). Something that happens on another thread, causes the nanosleep to exit, even though the time has not elapsed. The returned value is 0 (so it doesn't look like it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MeMyself
1 Replies

5. Programming

Problem with signal handler and interrupted system call

Hi, I have a daq program that runs in an infinite loop until it receives SIGINT. A handler catches the signal and sets a flag to stop the while loop. After the loop some things have to be cleaned up. The problem is that I want my main while loop to wait until the next full second begins, to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soeckel
2 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

diffrence between method call and function call in perl

Hello, I have a problem with package and name space. require "/Mehran/DSGateEngineLib/general.pl"; use strict; sub System_Status_Main_Service_Status_Intrusion_Prevention { my %idpstatus; my @result; &General_ReadHash("/var/dsg/idp/settings",\%idpstatus); #print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do I need to call make if I call gcc ?

Why do I need to call make if I call gcc ? I thought gcc already compiles the sources. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
1 Replies

8. Programming

Where is nanosleep?

I use nanosleep under solaris10,like follows: #include <pthread.h> #include <time.h> #include <sys/time.h> struct to_info{ void (*to_fn)(void *); void *to_arg; struct timespec to_wait; }; void *timeout_helper(void *arg){ struct to_info *tip; nanosleep(&tip->to_wait,NULL);... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: konvalo
1 Replies

9. Programming

nanosleep

Application runs on both solaris 6 and 10. solaris 6 having only posix4.so library, solaris 10 having libposix4.so and librt.so Can we link application to lposix4 instead of lrt for nanosleep, sothat application will run in both machines? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish@123
2 Replies
KILL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   KILL(1)

NAME
kill -- terminate or signal a process SYNOPSIS
kill [-s signal_name] pid ... kill -l [exit_status] kill -signal_name pid ... kill -signal_number pid ... DESCRIPTION
The kill utility sends a signal to the processes specified by the pid operand(s). Only the super-user may send signals to other users' processes. The options are as follows: -s signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -l [exit_status] If no operand is given, list the signal names; otherwise, write the signal name corresponding to exit_status. -signal_name A symbolic signal name specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. -signal_number A non-negative decimal integer, specifying the signal to be sent instead of the default TERM. The following pids have special meanings: -1 If superuser, broadcast the signal to all processes; otherwise broadcast to all processes belonging to the user. Some of the more commonly used signals: 1 HUP (hang up) 2 INT (interrupt) 3 QUIT (quit) 6 ABRT (abort) 9 KILL (non-catchable, non-ignorable kill) 14 ALRM (alarm clock) 15 TERM (software termination signal) Some shells may provide a builtin kill command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), csh(1), killall(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigaction(2) STANDARDS
The kill function is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A kill command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
A replacement for the command ``kill 0'' for csh(1) users should be provided. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD