Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Number of Lines in a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Number of Lines in a file Post 302963423 by TechGyaann on Wednesday 30th of December 2015 07:53:50 AM
Old 12-30-2015
IBM Number of Lines in a file

Hi All,

This is my Scenario:
I wanted to check if a particular name or pattern is present in a file based of that rest of the program should proceed.
I want to print '0' if no matching found.

Code:
v_File_Count=`grep -i "$v_Name_Pattern" $File_Path/Master_File_List.txt | wc -l`

The above command is giving an output where a tab space is present due to which I am not able to do a condition.

Code:

if [[ $v_File_Count == 0]]; then
 xyz...
 fi

Tried to remove the "<Tab Space>" as below but no use Smilie
Code:
 v_File_Count=`grep -i "$v_Name_Pattern" $File_Path/Master_File_List.txt | wc -l | tr "   " ""`

## Below code is not print any value if there is no record -- I want '0' if no record
 v_File_Count=`grep -i "$v_Name_Pattern" $File_Path/Master_File_List.txt | awk '{print NR}'`
 v_File_Count=`grep -i "$v_Name_Pattern" $File_Path/Master_File_List.txt | sed -n '$='`

Sample Input:
File = Master_File_List.txt
Code:
 abcd.txt
 xyz.txt
 lmno.txt

Command:
Code:
v_File_Count=`grep -i "$v_Name_Pattern" $File_Path/Master_File_List.txt | sed -n '$='

** Anycode

Expected Output: ( If there are no matching pattern, 0 should be returned i.e., v_File_Count should have value '0')

Do share your ideas and suggestion

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 12-30-2015 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: quote tags -> code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need ls to show number of lines in each file

Hi, I need a command that would let ls show number of lines in each file rather than file size in KBs. I tried using wc -l as a source of input to ls but I found a problem cutting the file name since wc generates a space delimited list. Any suggestions? Thanks. GmMike. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GMMike
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut a number of lines out of a file

Hi, I have a text file contaning around 150 lines, each line is a hostname. I want to read 4 lines/hostnames and save those 4 lines to a seperate file. say the big file is /files/bigfile and I want to have a lot of files in /files named /files/smallfile.1 , /files/smallfile.2 and so on... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: networkfre@k
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

total number of lines in a file

Hi , How about find the total number of lines in a file ? How can i do that with the "grep" command ? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find number of lines in a file

Hi How do I find number of lines of a file? Below commands returned 0. But, the file is showing 20 lines when I open it in editplus tool. Each line contains 601 columns. Please advise I want to incorporate some word at the begining of each of those 20 lines -Somesh $ wc -l <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: somesh_p
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying number of lines from file

Hi, I am using below command to display the number of line, but its returning no of lines along with file name. But i want only no of line in the variable p. Please help me on this? p=`wc -l "text file"` echo "$p" (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivanete
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count of Number of Lines in a File

Dear Members, I want to count the number of lines in a file; for that i am using the following command : FILE_LINE_COUNT=`wc -l $INT_IN/$RAW_FILE_NAME` if i do an echo on FILE_LINE_COUNT then i get 241 /home/data/testfile.txt I don't want the directory path to be displayed. Variable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read n number of lines from a file

Hiii I am very new to shell scripting.This is my data file a.txt: 56 45.78 1000 11.23 76.89 45 34.56 23 3400 100 .......... Now i am must use shell scripting to read n number of lines from the file & from ts n number of lines i need to find greatest number among them & so on for... (44 Replies)
Discussion started by: varsha
44 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to display only the lines from a file which do not contain a given number

a. How do I display the content of the file containing what Ive merged using a filter which would display only the lines of the file which don't contain number, for example 3 or 6. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: herberwz
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of lines in file

How can I find the number of lines in a file excluding lines starting with #? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)