Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed print flag
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed print flag Post 302963362 by pmennen on Tuesday 29th of December 2015 10:05:31 AM
Old 12-29-2015
My actual input file was a bit more complicated, and was similar to this:

Code:
??? key1: word1, word2, word3, word4
????? key2: word5, word6, word7
?????? key1: word8, word9
??????? key2: word10, word11

And the desired output is:

Code:
word1 word5
word8 word10

Before the reply from neutronscott came in, I managed to produce the desired output by piping it to a separate sed command to remove the unwanted newlines (which is somewhat similar to the solution suggested by Scrutinizer using paste):

Code:
sed -n -r -e "s_.* key1: ([^,]*).*_\1_p" -e "s_.*key2: ([^,]*).*_\1_p" input.txt | sed "N;s/\n/ /"

Using the method suggested by neutronscott, I'm now producing the same output using:

Code:
sed -n -r "/key1:/{s/.* key1: ([^,]*).*/\1 /;h};/key2:/{H;x;s/\n.* key2: ([^,]*).*/\1/p}" input.txt

It's actually slightly longer, but I prefer a single call to sed when possible.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

~Paul

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching and print with sed

Hi It is possible with sed to print a pattern within a line matching regexp? So, the line looks like : 19:00:00 blablablabla jobid 2345 <2> the regexp is "jobid 2345" and the pattern is 56434. That the code for find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to print a ruler

How can I use sed to print rulers of x characters in length on my terminal? For example, I want sed to print a 50-character rule. sed '// p' ?? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to print from the bottom up?

I have file.txt bob jon jones gary I want to print from the botton, up using sed. gary jones jon bob Whats one command I can use to do this? Or will I have to construct a new file that would hold the original file in reverse and then print the reversed file? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk print out

guys... i'm currently trying to parse some html code: <tr class="first" name="bc_10934363" class=""><td class="col1"><div class="ctitle">Some text</div><div class="crec" name="pc_10934363"></div><div class="ctext">Some text</div></td><td class="col2"><div class="ctext">SF zwei</div></td><td... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: domi55
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - print only matching regex

Hi folks, Lets say I have the following text file: name, lastname, 1234, name.lastname@test.com name1, lastname1, name2.lastname2@test.com, 2345 name, 3456, lastname, name3.lastname3@test.com 4567, name, lastname, name4.lastname4@test.com I now need the following output: 1234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: domi55
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed | Awk | Print

Hello, ı want to started shell programing. But first, I want to learn ssh code. How can I use this codes ( sed - awk - print ). How do codes work? Thanks.. Best Wishes.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nullsix
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Toggle Flag/Switch Value with Sed

I am trying to figure out a one liner to toggle a flag variable. eg. FLAG=0 Is there a way to use sed to toggle above example between 0 and 1. That is if run with flag set to zero it would change it to one if run again it would set it to zero. I thought I had it figured but the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsquared
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print this using sed?

Hi Imagine that I have a text file containing the following student's data: student: john group: A sex: male age: 25 student: alice sex: female age: 20 group: B It is guarantee the details will start by "student:", and then followed by the sex, age and group in any order. Is it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hezjing
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print sed results

Dear all, How can I print results (and of course, send this result to the text file) of sed command. I mean, I want to know which lines of which files sed command has found. For e.g, the result text file should contains: file1.c:line 12 file2.h:line 14 file2.h:line 37 Please help me (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hannibal2010
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for sed replace and print

Hi I am working with sed to get string replace and print all the lines. Cat f1 <text1> tag123 44412c232place1 text456-text= tag12 44412c232place4 jjaa TAG456 44412c232place1066dfdf erer .. i have used this command - sed -n '/tag/ s#place#SomePlace#gp' f1 It gives me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
2 Replies
Data::OptList(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  Data::OptList(3)

NAME
Data::OptList - parse and validate simple name/value option pairs VERSION
version 0.109 SYNOPSIS
use Data::OptList; my $options = Data::OptList::mkopt([ qw(key1 key2 key3 key4), key5 => { ... }, key6 => [ ... ], key7 => sub { ... }, key8 => { ... }, key8 => [ ... ], ]); ...is the same thing, more or less, as: my $options = [ [ key1 => undef, ], [ key2 => undef, ], [ key3 => undef, ], [ key4 => undef, ], [ key5 => { ... }, ], [ key6 => [ ... ], ], [ key7 => sub { ... }, ], [ key8 => { ... }, ], [ key8 => [ ... ], ], ]); DESCRIPTION
Hashes are great for storing named data, but if you want more than one entry for a name, you have to use a list of pairs. Even then, this is really boring to write: $values = [ foo => undef, bar => undef, baz => undef, xyz => { ... }, ]; Just look at all those undefs! Don't worry, we can get rid of those: $values = [ map { $_ => undef } qw(foo bar baz), xyz => { ... }, ]; Aaaauuugh! We've saved a little typing, but now it requires thought to read, and thinking is even worse than typing... and it's got a bug! It looked right, didn't it? Well, the "xyz => { ... }" gets consumed by the map, and we don't get the data we wanted. With Data::OptList, you can do this instead: $values = Data::OptList::mkopt([ qw(foo bar baz), xyz => { ... }, ]); This works by assuming that any defined scalar is a name and any reference following a name is its value. FUNCTIONS
mkopt my $opt_list = Data::OptList::mkopt($input, \%arg); Valid arguments are: moniker - a word used in errors to describe the opt list; encouraged require_unique - if true, no name may appear more than once must_be - types to which opt list values are limited (described below) name_test - a coderef used to test whether a value can be a name (described below, but you probably don't want this) This produces an array of arrays; the inner arrays are name/value pairs. Values will be either "undef" or a reference. Positional parameters may be used for compatibility with the old "mkopt" interface: my $opt_list = Data::OptList::mkopt($input, $moniker, $req_uni, $must_be); Valid values for $input: undef -> [] hashref -> [ [ key1 => value1 ] ... ] # non-ref values become undef arrayref -> every name followed by a non-name becomes a pair: [ name => ref ] every name followed by undef becomes a pair: [ name => undef ] otherwise, it becomes [ name => undef ] like so: [ "a", "b", [ 1, 2 ] ] -> [ [ a => undef ], [ b => [ 1, 2 ] ] ] By default, a name is any defined non-reference. The "name_test" parameter can be a code ref that tests whether the argument passed it is a name or not. This should be used rarely. Interactions between "require_unique" and "name_test" are not yet particularly elegant, as "require_unique" just tests string equality. This may change. The "must_be" parameter is either a scalar or array of scalars; it defines what kind(s) of refs may be values. If an invalid value is found, an exception is thrown. If no value is passed for this argument, any reference is valid. If "must_be" specifies that values must be CODE, HASH, ARRAY, or SCALAR, then Params::Util is used to check whether the given value can provide that interface. Otherwise, it checks that the given value is an object of the kind. In other words: [ qw(SCALAR HASH Object::Known) ] Means: _SCALAR0($value) or _HASH($value) or _INSTANCE($value, 'Object::Known') mkopt_hash my $opt_hash = Data::OptList::mkopt_hash($input, $moniker, $must_be); Given valid "mkopt" input, this routine returns a reference to a hash. It will throw an exception if any name has more than one value. EXPORTS
Both "mkopt" and "mkopt_hash" may be exported on request. AUTHOR
Ricardo Signes <rjbs@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2006 by Ricardo Signes. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-12-13 Data::OptList(3)