Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed print flag
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed print flag Post 302963350 by pmennen on Tuesday 29th of December 2015 06:39:42 AM
Old 12-29-2015
Thanks R. Singh (and sorry for forgetting the code tags).

Yes, I did simplify the problem somewhat for brevity, so I will probably have to learn at least some of that arcane looking awk syntax. (I realize that sed is just as arcane, its just that I am already familiar with it).

It seems like this may be simple enough a sed solution might be possible without resorting to overly cryptic methods. If anyone knows of such a solution, I would still be interested in seeing it.

Thanks
~Paul

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pattern matching and print with sed

Hi It is possible with sed to print a pattern within a line matching regexp? So, the line looks like : 19:00:00 blablablabla jobid 2345 <2> the regexp is "jobid 2345" and the pattern is 56434. That the code for find... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to print a ruler

How can I use sed to print rulers of x characters in length on my terminal? For example, I want sed to print a 50-character rule. sed '// p' ?? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to print from the bottom up?

I have file.txt bob jon jones gary I want to print from the botton, up using sed. gary jones jon bob Whats one command I can use to do this? Or will I have to construct a new file that would hold the original file in reverse and then print the reversed file? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk print out

guys... i'm currently trying to parse some html code: <tr class="first" name="bc_10934363" class=""><td class="col1"><div class="ctitle">Some text</div><div class="crec" name="pc_10934363"></div><div class="ctext">Some text</div></td><td class="col2"><div class="ctext">SF zwei</div></td><td... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: domi55
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - print only matching regex

Hi folks, Lets say I have the following text file: name, lastname, 1234, name.lastname@test.com name1, lastname1, name2.lastname2@test.com, 2345 name, 3456, lastname, name3.lastname3@test.com 4567, name, lastname, name4.lastname4@test.com I now need the following output: 1234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: domi55
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed | Awk | Print

Hello, ı want to started shell programing. But first, I want to learn ssh code. How can I use this codes ( sed - awk - print ). How do codes work? Thanks.. Best Wishes.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nullsix
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Toggle Flag/Switch Value with Sed

I am trying to figure out a one liner to toggle a flag variable. eg. FLAG=0 Is there a way to use sed to toggle above example between 0 and 1. That is if run with flag set to zero it would change it to one if run again it would set it to zero. I thought I had it figured but the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsquared
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print this using sed?

Hi Imagine that I have a text file containing the following student's data: student: john group: A sex: male age: 25 student: alice sex: female age: 20 group: B It is guarantee the details will start by "student:", and then followed by the sex, age and group in any order. Is it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hezjing
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print sed results

Dear all, How can I print results (and of course, send this result to the text file) of sed command. I mean, I want to know which lines of which files sed command has found. For e.g, the result text file should contains: file1.c:line 12 file2.h:line 14 file2.h:line 37 Please help me (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hannibal2010
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for sed replace and print

Hi I am working with sed to get string replace and print all the lines. Cat f1 <text1> tag123 44412c232place1 text456-text= tag12 44412c232place4 jjaa TAG456 44412c232place1066dfdf erer .. i have used this command - sed -n '/tag/ s#place#SomePlace#gp' f1 It gives me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
2 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)