Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Number of matches and matched pattern(s) in awk Post 302963245 by durden_tyler on Saturday 26th of December 2015 07:36:56 PM
Old 12-26-2015
Code:
$ 
$ cat -n f36.awk
     1	BEGIN {ind=0; str=""}
     2	{
     3	     n = split($0, a, "");
     4	     i = 1;
     5	     while (i <= n) {
     6	         if (a[i] >= 1 && a[i] <= 9) {
     7	             str = a[i];
     8	             for (j=i+1; j<=i+a[i]; j++) {
     9	                 str = str""a[j];
    10	             }
    11	             ind++;
    12	             pattern[ind] = str;
    13	             str = "";
    14	             i = i + a[i] + 1;
    15	         } else if (a[i] >= "A" && a[i] <= "Z") {
    16	             ind++;
    17	             pattern[ind] = a[i];
    18	             i++;
    19	         } else {
    20	             i++;
    21	         }
    22	     }
    23	}
    24	END {
    25	    for (k=1; k<=ind; k++) { printf("pattern[%d] = [%s]\n", k, pattern[k]) }
    26	}
$ 
$ echo "\!@#$%2QW5QWERTAB$%^&*" | awk -f f36.awk
pattern[1] = [2QW]
pattern[2] = [5QWERT]
pattern[3] = [A]
pattern[4] = [B]
$ 
$ 
$ echo "\!@#$%2QW7QWERTABXY3PQR$%^Z&*LMn#O" | awk -f f36.awk
pattern[1] = [2QW]
pattern[2] = [7QWERTAB]
pattern[3] = [X]
pattern[4] = [Y]
pattern[5] = [3PQR]
pattern[6] = [Z]
pattern[7] = [L]
pattern[8] = [M]
pattern[9] = [O]
$ 
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to count pattern matches

i have an awk statement which i am using to count the number of occurences of the number ,5, in the file: awk '/,5,/ {count++}' TRY.txt | awk 'END { printf(" Total parts: %d",count)}' i know there is a total of 10 matches..what is wrong here? thanks (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
16 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to sum specific field when pattern matches

Trying to sum field #6 when field #2 matches string as follows: Input data: 2010-09-18-20.24.44.206117 UOWEXEC db2bp DB2XYZ hostname 1 2010-09-18-20.24.44.206117 UOWWAIT db2bp DB2XYZ hostname ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - match files containing minimum number of pattern matches

I want to search a bunch of files and list only those containing a minimum number of pattern matches. So if I want to identify files containing 3 (or more) instances of the pattern "said:" and I have file1 that contains the lines: He said: She said: and file2 that contains the lines: He... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpyuk
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print the whole row in awk based on matched pattern

Hi, I need some help on how to print the whole data for unmatched pattern. i have 2 different files that need to be checked and print out the unmatched patterns into a new file. My sample data as follows:- File1.txt Id Num Activity Class Type 309 1.1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk with range but matches pattern

To match range, the command is: awk '/BEGIN/,/END/' but what I want is the range is printed only if there is additional pattern that matches in the range itself? maybe like this: awk '/BEGIN/,/END/ if only in that range there is /pattern/' Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrox
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of pattern matches per line for all files in directory

I have a directory of files, each with a variable (though small) number of lines. I would like to go through each line in each file, and print the: -file name -line number -number of matches to the pattern /comp/ for each line. Two example files: cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to delete content before and after a matched pattern

Hello, I have been trying to write a script where I could get awk to delete data before and after a matched pattern. For eg Raw data Start NAME = John Age = 35 Occupation = Programmer City = New York Certification Completed = No Salary = 80000 End Start NAME = Mary Age = 25... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Egrep patterns in a file and limit number of matches to print for each pattern match

Hi I need to egrep patterns in a file and limit number of matches to print for each matched pattern. -m10 option is not working out in my sun solaris 5.10 Please guide me the options to achieve. if i do head -10 , i wont be getting all pattern match results as output since for a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananan
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Index to get position matches pattern

Input data as below (filetest.txt): 1|22 JAN Minimum Bal 20.00 | SAT 2|09 FEB Extract bal 168.00BR | REM 3|MIN BAL | LEX Output should be: ( If there is Date & Month in 2nd field of Input file, It should be seperated else blank. If There is Decimal OR Decimal & Currency in last of the 2nd... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

find pattern matches in consecutive lines in certain fields-awk

I have a text file with many thousands of lines, a small sample of which looks like this: InputFile:PS002,003 D -1 5 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 6 6 -1 -1 -1 -1 0 509 0 PS002,003 PSQ 0 1 7 18 1 0 -1 1 1 3 -1 -1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
5 Replies
FNMATCH(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							FNMATCH(3)

NAME
fnmatch - match filename or pathname SYNOPSIS
#include <fnmatch.h> int fnmatch(const char *pattern, const char *string, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The fnmatch() function checks whether the string argument matches the pattern argument, which is a shell wildcard pattern. The flags argument modifies the behaviour; it is the bitwise OR of zero or more of the following flags: FNM_NOESCAPE If this flag is set, treat backslash as an ordinary character, instead of an escape character. FNM_PATHNAME If this flag is set, match a slash in string only with a slash in pattern and not, for example, with a [] - sequence containing a slash. FNM_PERIOD If this flag is set, a leading period in string has to be matched exactly by a period in pattern. A period is considered to be leading if it is the first character in string, or if both FNM_PATHNAME is set and the period immediately follows a slash. FNM_FILE_NAME This is a GNU synonym for FNM_PATHNAME. FNM_LEADING_DIR If this flag (a GNU extension) is set, the pattern is considered to be matched if it matches an initial segment of string which is followed by a slash. This flag is mainly for the internal use of glibc and is only implemented in certain cases. FNM_CASEFOLD If this flag (a GNU extension) is set, the pattern is matched case-insensitively. RETURN VALUE
Zero if string matches pattern, FNM_NOMATCH if there is no match or another non-zero value if there is an error. CONFORMING TO
ISO/IEC 9945-2: 1993 (POSIX.2). The FNM_FILE_NAME, FNM_LEADING_DIR, and FNM_CASEFOLD flags are GNU extensions. SEE ALSO
sh(1), glob(3), scandir(3), glob(7) GNU
2000-10-15 FNMATCH(3)