Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cp & skipping exiting files
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cp & skipping exiting files Post 302962865 by Don Cragun on Saturday 19th of December 2015 06:05:21 PM
Old 12-19-2015
Sorry... I should have been much more verbose about the environment needed to use a hard link as a backup method.

I once worked in a group where a logging daemon was started when the system booted and ran forever to log errors that would occur. It opened the log files with something like:
Code:
        fd = open(logname, O_CREAT | O_WRONLY, S_IRUSR | S_IRGRP | S_IROTH);

(note that it is opening a file for writing with no write permissions on the file it creates).

If the open() failed with an EPERM error, it looked to see if another daemon is already running (and quietly exited if it was). Otherwise, it incremented that day's log sequence number and tried again.

At midnight, it closed the current log file, opened a new log file for the new day, hard linked any log files created the previous day to a backup directory, and removed any log files in the log directory that were more than a week old (leaving the link in the backup directory untouched).

Another process ran every few days archiving the log files in the backup directory to tape and removing log files more than three months old from the backup directory.

This scheme worked well for that project, but it assumes a lot about how the logs are created and used that is atypical for most loggers today.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cron job skipping problem

Hi, I have a crontab that runs some shell scripts at fixed intervals. Although, one condition for a script to continue is that a previous instance of the same script should have terminated. But, inspite of the fact that the old instance has finished execution, the new instance still terminates. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puneetarora_12
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking count of files and exiting

Hi All Please see the script below for file in ${filelist }; do if ]; then if ]; then print " $(date) STEP 6 ------- Copying $file to $destpath" fi if ! cp $ftppath/$file $destpath 2> /dev/null; then writeToLog "ERROR: ${0##*/} - $upartition Could not copy file $file" if ]; then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: king007
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare EDI files by skipping selected Segments

Hi, I wanted to compare EDI files present in Two different Directories which can be related by the file names. While comparing the EDI files i have to skip selected segments such as "ISA" "IEA" and "GS" "GE" since this may have datetime stamp and different "Sender" "Receiver" Qual. and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivas
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I search while skipping folders?

I have a directory that contains some specific files. I want to find all the files and copy them to a different directory, however the files are in /dir1/dir2/dir3/filedir/archive. In ~/filedir contains about 100 directories that contains an archive directory where the files I need are. How can I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & Replace string in multiple files & folders using perl

find . -type f -name "*.sql" -print|xargs perl -i -pe 's/pattern/replaced/g' this is simple logic to find and replace in multiple files & folders Hope this helps. Thanks Zaheer (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaheer.mic
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compare 2 files & get specific value & replace it in other file.

Hiiii Friends I have 2 files with huge data. I want to compare this 2 files & if they hav same set of vales in specific rows & columns i need to get that value from one file & replace it in other. For example: I have few set data of both files here: a.dat: PDE-W 2009 12 16 5 29 11.11 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending 2 files skipping the header of the second file

I have 2 files with the same header and need to append them and put the result in a 3rd file the 2 files has the same header and while appending i want to skip the second file header and need the result to be put in a third file Normally, this would work Cat file1 file2 >> file3....But how... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skipping rows based on columns

Hi, suppose I have the following file and certain rows have missing columns, how do i skip these rows and create an output file which has all the columns in it E/N Ko_exp %err Ko_calc %err diff diff- diff+ 0.95 ======== ======= ==== ======= ==== ===== ===== =====... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move only folders and skipping files

How do I move all folders and its contents from a directory A to another directory B, skipping all files in Directory A ? ---------- Post updated at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:42 PM ---------- Ok. Got it. mv /A/*/ /B/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DHeisenberg
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compressing & removing files in a directory & subdirectory

Hi, I want a simple line of code that will compress files within a directory specified (parameter) and its subdirectories and also i want to remove files which are exactly 365 days old from the sysdate after this compression. Please help. Thanks, JD (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
8 Replies
DB4.7_HOTBACKUP(1)					      General Commands Manual						DB4.7_HOTBACKUP(1)

NAME
db4.7_hotbackup - Create "hot backup" or "hot failover" snapshots SYNOPSIS
db4.7_hotbackup [-cDuVv] [-d data_dir ...] [-h home] [-l log_dir] [-P password] -b backup_dir DESCRIPTION
The db4.7_hotbackup utility creates "hot backup" or "hot failover" snapshots of Berkeley DB database environments. The db4.7_hotbackup utility performs the following steps: 1. If the -c option is specified, checkpoint the source home database environment, and remove any unnecessary log files. 2. If the target directory for the backup does not exist, it is created with mode read-write-execute for the owner. If the target directory for the backup does exist and the -u option was specified, all log files in the target directory are removed; if the -u option was not specified, all files in the target directory are removed. 3. If the -u option was not specified, copy application-specific files found in the database environment home directory, or any directory specified using the -d option, into the target directory for the backup. 4. Copy all log files found in the directory specified by the -l option (or in the database environment home directory, if no -l option was specified), into the target directory for the backup. 5. Perform catastrophic recovery on the hot backup. 6. Remove any unnecessary log files from the hot backup. The db4.7_hotbackup utility does not resolve pending transactions that are in the prepared state. Applications that use DB_TXN->prepare should specify DB_RECOVER_FATAL when opening the environment, and run DB_ENV->txn_recover to resolve any pending transactions, when failing over to the hot backup. OPTIONS
-b Specify the target directory for the backup. -c Before performing the snapshot, checkpoint the source database environment and remove any log files that are no longer required in that environment. To avoid making catastrophic failure impossible, log file removal must be integrated with log file archival. -d Specify one or more source directories that contain databases; if none is specified, the database environment home directory will be searched for database files. As database files are copied into a single backup directory, files named the same, stored in different source directories, could overwrite each other when copied into the backup directory. -h Specify the source directory for the backup, that is, the database environment home directory. -l Specify a source directory that contains log files; if none is specified, the database environment home directory will be searched for log files. -P Specify an environment password. Although Berkeley DB utilities overwrite password strings as soon as possible, be aware there may be a window of vulnerability on systems where unprivileged users can see command-line arguments or where utilities are not able to overwrite the memory containing the command-line arguments. -u Update a pre-existing hot backup snapshot by copying in new log files. If the -u option is specified, no databases will be copied into the target directory. -V Write the library version number to the standard output, and exit. -v Run in verbose mode, listing operations as they are done. -D Use the data directories listed in the DB_CONFIG configuration file in the source directory. This option has three effects: First, if they do not already exist, the specified data directories will be created relative to the target directory (with mode read-write- execute owner). Second, all files in the source data directories will be copied to the target data directories. If the DB_CONFIG file specifies one or more absolute pathnames, files in those source directories will be copied to the top-level target directory. Third, the DB_CONFIG configuration file will be copied from the +source directory to the target directory, and subsequently used for configuration if recovery is run in the target directory. Care should be taken with the -D option and data directories which are named relative to the source directory but are not subdirectories (that is, the name includes the element "..") Specifically, the constructed target directory names must be meaningful and distinct from the source directory names, otherwise running recovery in the target directory might corrupt the source data files. It is an error to use absolute pathnames for data directories or the log directory in this mode, as the DB_CONFIG configuration file copied into the target directory would then point at the source directories and running recovery would corrupt the source data files. The db4.7_hotbackup utility uses a Berkeley DB environment (as described for the -h option, the environment variable DB_HOME, or because the utility was run in a directory containing a Berkeley DB environment). In order to avoid environment corruption when using a Berkeley DB environment, db4.7_hotbackup should always be given the chance to detach from the environment and exit gracefully. To cause db4.7_hot- backup to release all environment resources and exit cleanly, send it an interrupt signal (SIGINT). The db4.7_hotbackup utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. ENVIRONMENT
DB_HOME If the -h option is not specified and the environment variable DB_HOME is set, it is used as the path of the database home, as described in DB_ENV->open. AUTHORS
Oracle Corporation. This manual page was created based on the HTML documentation for db_hotbackup from Sleepycat, by Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@kinkhorst.com>, for the Debian system (but may be used by others). 28 January 2005 DB4.7_HOTBACKUP(1)