Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash variable not being passed Post 302962703 by RudiC on Thursday 17th of December 2015 01:44:05 PM
Old 12-17-2015
Did you enter a value to be read into the date variable?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable passed to awk

Anybody know what's wrong with this syntax? awk -v job="$job" 'BEGIN { FS="|"} {print $1,$2," ",$4," ",$3\n,$5,"\n"}' list It's keeping give me this message: awk: syntax error near line 1 awk: bailing out near line 1 It seems awk has problem with my BEGIN command. Any... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable passed to awk

Does anybody know how to print a variable passed to awk command? awk -F"|" 'BEGIN {print $job,"\n","Question \n"} {print $1,$2$4," ",$3}' "job=$job1" file1 I am trying to pass job the variable job1. the output is blank. ?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning a Variable all the Parameters passed

Hi, I have a unix script which can accept n number of parameters . I can get the parameter count using the following command and assign it to a variable file_count=$# Is there a similar command through which i can assign a variable all the values that i have passed as a parameter ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash array passed to oracle

Hi all.. Does anyone know have an example of passing the contents of a bash array to oracle? basically I am looking to loop through the contents of a file(not csv!) and store each line into a bash array. Once i have this I can then pass the array into an oracle procedure that accepts an array... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satnamx
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

My variable cannot be passed through into my path

Hi, Can you please help. I am scripting in sh and I am trying to simply copy one directory to another but for some reason my variables are not recognised? echo "The latest version of the program is being found......." cd $SOFTWARE/src/$progname version=`ls $SOFTWARE/src/$progname | grep... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

In the sh file variable is not being passed on.

I am having difficulties with the fllowing script: !/bin/sh voicemaildir=/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/$1/$2/INBOX/ echo `date` ':' $voicemaildir >> /var/log/voicemail-notify.log for audiofile in `ls $voicemaildir/*.wav`; do transcriptfile=${audiofile/wav/transcript} ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghurty
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable passed as argument

I have a script. #!/bin/sh cur_$1_modify_time=Hello echo "cur_$1_modify_time" When I run like sh /root/script1 jj I expect value "Hello" being assigned to variable "cur_jj_modify_time" and output being "Hello" ie echoing $cur_jj_modify_time But the output comes as # sh... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] getopts, OPTARG is passed but empty

EDIT: -- SOLVED -- Heyas, Getting used to optargs, but by far not understanding it. So i have that script that shall be 'changeable', trying to use the passed arguments to modify the script visuals. Passing: browser -t test -d sect $HOME Where -t should change the title, and -d... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple bash variables passed into nawk

I have a file that has 2 fields called b_file: 11977 DAR.V3.20150209.1.CSV 3295 DAR.V3.20150209.1.CSV 1721 DAR.V2.20150210.1.CSV I need to search a sftplog using the field 1, but want to maintain the relationship between field 1 and 2. I am passing field 1 as a parameter in a bash loop. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: smenago
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable not passed to the sed command

Hello, I am writing a script which is not giving the desired result. When I check the content of the 'InputFile_009_0.sh', it shows following with missing Index in this command sed -i "s/L1ITMBLT.root/L1ITMBLT_"".root/g" run_DttfFromCombinedPrimitives_cfg.py of . Any help? ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
13 Replies
news(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   news(1)

NAME
news - Writes system news items to standard output SYNOPSIS
news [-a|-n|-s] | [item...] The news command keeps you informed of news concerning the system. OPTIONS
Displays all news items, regardless of the currency time. The currency time does not change. Reports the names of current news items without displaying their contents. The currency time does not change. Reports the number of current news items without displaying their names or contents. The currency time does not change. DESCRIPTION
Each news item is contained in a separate file in the /usr/news directory. Anyone having read/write permission to this directory can cre- ate a news file. If you run the news command without any options, it displays the current files in /usr/news, beginning with the most recent. You can also specify the items you want displayed. Each file is preceded by an appropriate header. To avoid reporting old news, news stores a currency time. The news command considers your currency time to be the modification time of the file named $HOME/.news_time. Each time you read the news, the modification time of this file changes to that of the reading. Only news item files posted after this time are considered current. Pressing the Interrupt key sequence during the display of a news item stops the display of that item and starts the next. Pressing the Interrupt key sequence again ends news. Most users run news each time they log in by including the following line in their $HOME/.profile file or in the system's /etc/profile: news -n EXAMPLES
To display the items that were posted since you last read the news, enter: news To display all the news items, enter: news -a | pg This displays all the news items a page at a time, regardless of whether you have read them yet. To list the names of the news items that you have not read yet, enter: news -n Each name is a file in the /usr/news directory. To display specific news items, enter: news newusers services This displays news about newusers and services, which are names listed by news -n. To display the number of news items that you have not read yet, enter: news -s To post news for everyone to read, enter: cp schedule /usr/news This copies the file schedule into the system news directory ( /usr/news) to create the file /usr/news/schedule. To do this, you must have write permission for /usr/news. FILES
System profile. News files. Indicates the last time news was read. SEE ALSO
Commands: pg(1) news(1)