Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Update a file using other file Post 302962440 by Aia on Monday 14th of December 2015 05:03:38 PM
Old 12-14-2015
Code:
awk 'FNR==NR {k[$2,$3]=substr($0, 48, 24);next} ($2,$3) in k{sub(substr($0, 48, 24), k[$2,$3])}1' file1 file2

This User Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

file update

how to update file in unix ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: piyush_movadiya
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

update a file with values from other file in shell bash

Hello I need to write a shell script to update properties between files. I have 2 files as follow: file1 urlWebserviceCheckAddress^=McoConfigGlobal.commonGLOBALUrlWebservice file 2 urlWebserviceCheckAddress=http://localhost:8080/tags Both files containt the same properties... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: teodora
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to update a file

-Hi, I have several hundred files, which contain the following pattern: /bb/bin/msga/mm 80& I need to change the above pattern to be /bb/bin/mm 80& I there the command I can use to do that. Thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync - update file on backup when file renamed on source

hi all, Please help me with rsync. I configured rsync to preserve timestamps using the -a option. When i renamed fileA to fileB on source machine I have to copies at the backup server. The aim is to keep the most recent file. fileA & fileB has same contents. When i renamed fileB to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Update

looking for an Update file command in Unix File A|B|C|D|NAMND|B A|B|C|DD|N|B A|B|C|DD|AAM|L new file should be A|B|C|D|N|B A|B|C|DD|N|B A|B|C|DD|A|L awk -F"|" 'length($5)>1' ----all these records to be updated with 5th filed first charecter (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: userraone
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Update a file with other file data

Gents, Can you help please. Using information from file1, I will like to update file2. file1 X 2922 1581L 30535.00 51881.001 1 3241 30540.00 51666.00 52312.001 X 2922 8931L 30961.00 52625.001 1 4321 30540.00 52194.00 53056.001 X 2922 1711L 30529.00 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl to update field in file based of match to another file

In the perl below I am trying to set/update the value of $14 (last field) in file2, using the matching NM_ in $12 or $9 in file2 with the NM_ in $2 of file1. The lengths of $9 and $12 can be variable but what is consistent is the start pattern will always be NM_ and the end pattern is always ;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update file with sum of matching fields in another file

In the awk below I am trying to add a penalty to a score to each matching $1 in file2 based on the sum of $3+$4 (variable TL) from file1. Then the $4 value in file1 is divided by TL and multiplied by 100 (this valvue is variable S). Finally, $2 in file2 - S gives the updated $2 result in file2.... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move file from one directory and update the list file once moved.

Dears, I have a listfile contains list of files path. i need to read the line of the listfile mv the file to other directory and update the listfile by deleting the lines of the listfile. #!/bin/bash target=/fstest/INVESTIG/Sadiq/TEST_ARCH while read -r line || ]; do mv $line... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadique.manzar
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to update file with partial matching line in another file and append text

In the awk below I am trying to cp and paste each matching line in f2 to $3 in f1 if $2 of f1 is in the line in f2 somewhere. There will always be a match (usually more then 1) and my actual data is much larger (several hundreds of lines) in both f1 and f2. When the line in f2 is pasted to $3 in... (4 Replies)
4 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - print differences between two files SYNOPSIS
diff [-c | -e | -C n] [-br]file1 file2 OPTIONS
-C n Produce output that contains n lines of context -b Ignore white space when comparing -c Produce output that contains three lines of context -e Produce an ed-script to convert file1 into file2 -r Apply diff recursively to files and directories of EXAMPLES
diff file1 file2 # Print differences between 2 files diff -C 0 file1 file2 # Same as above diff -C 3 file1 file2 # Output three lines of context with every diff -c file1 file2 # Same diff /etc /dev # Compares recursively the directories /etc and /dev diff passwd /etc # Compares ./passwd to /etc/passwd DESCRIPTION
the same name, when file1 and file2 are both directories" difference encountered" Diff compares two files and generates a list of lines telling how the two files differ. Lines may not be longer than 128 characters. If the two arguments on the command line are both directories, diff recursively steps through all subdirectories comparing files of the same name. If a file name is found only in one directory, a diagnostic message is written to stdout. A file that is of either block special, character special or FIFO special type, cannot be compared to any other file. On the other hand, if there is one directory and one file given on the command line, diff tries to compare the file with the same name as file in the directory directory. SEE ALSO
cdiff(1), cmp(1), comm(1), patch(1). DIFF(1)