Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extract spread columns from large file Post 302962428 by Don Cragun on Monday 14th of December 2015 01:23:09 PM
Old 12-14-2015
If you have the list of columns to be extracted, just give them to cut in a comma-separated list. If there are several adjacent fields, specify them as a range in the list. For example:
Code:
cut -f2,5,10-20,1000025 file

will extract fields 2, 5, 10 through 20, and 1,000,025 from the file named file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract 7 characters immediately after text '19' from a large file.

Hi All!! I have a large file containing millions of record. My purpose is to extract 7 characters immediately after text '19' from this file (including text '19') and save the result in new file. So, my OUTPUT would be as under : 191234561 194567894 192789005 198839408 and so on..... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: parshant_bvcoe
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data from large file 80+ million records

Hello, I have got one file with more than 120+ million records(35 GB in size). I have to extract some relevant data from file based on some parameter and generate other output file. What will be the besat and fastest way to extract the ne file. sample file format :--... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learner16s
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract unique pattern from large text file

Hi All, I am trying to extract data from a large text file , I want to extract lines which contains a five digit number followed by a hyphen , like 12345- , i tried with egrep ,eg : egrep "+" text.txt but which returns all the lines which contains any number of digits followed by hyhen ,... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: shijujoe
19 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large file - columns into rows etc

I have done a couple of searches on this and have found many threads but I don't think I've found one that is useful to me - probably because I have very basic comprehension of perl and beginners shell so trying to manipulate a script already posted maybe beyond my capabilities.... Anyway - I... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: Myrona
26 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete large number of columns rom file

Hi, I have a data file that contains 61 columns. I want to delete all the columns except columns, 3,6 and 8. The columns are tab de-limited. How would I achieve this on the terminal? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl download zip extract large xml file

Hi i have a php script that works 100% however i don't want this to run on php because of server limits etc. Ideally if i could convert this simple php script to a shell script i can set it up to run on a cron. My mac server has curl on it. So i am assuming i should be using this to download the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with solution to add together columns of large file

Hi everyone. I have a file with ~500 columns and I would like to perform a simple calculation on every two columns. The file looks like this: $cat input id A B C D E F.....X 1 2 4 2 3 4 1 n 2 4 6 4 6 4 5 n 3 4 7 5 2 2 3 n 4 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match Columns in one file and extract columns from another file

Kindly help merging information from two files with the following data structure. I want to match for the CHR-SNP in Foo and get the columns that match from CHROM-rsID Fields 1 & 2 of foo may have duplicates, however, a joint key of Fields $1$2$3$4 is unique. Also would be helpful to clean up... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: genehunter
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract 8 characters from a large file.

Hi All!! I have a large file containing millions of records. My purpose is to extract 8 characters immediately from the given file. 222222222|ZRF|2008.pdf|2008|01/29/2009|001|B|C|C 222222222|ZRF|2009.pdf|2009|01/29/2010|001|B|C|C 222222222|ZRF|2010.pdf|2010|01/29/2011|001|B|C|C... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavand
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Command to extract empty field in a large UNIX file?

Hi All, I have records in unix file like below. In this file, we have empty fields from 4th Column to 22nd Column. I have some 200000 records in a file. I want to extract records only which have empty fields from 4th field to 22nd filed. This file is comma separated file. what is the unix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
2 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out (extract) selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
list [file]... list [file]... list char] [file]... DESCRIPTION
cuts out (extracts) columns from a table or fields from each line in a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a rela- tion. Fields as specified by list can be fixed length (defined in terms of character or byte position in a line when using the or option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character such as the tab character (when using the option). can be used as a filter; if no files are given, the standard input is used. When processing single-byte character sets, the and options are equivalent and produce identical results. When processing multi-byte char- acter sets, when the and options are used together, their combined behavior is very similar, but not identical to the option. Options Options are interpreted as follows: list A comma-separated list of integer byte option), character option), or field option) numbers, in increasing order, with optional to indicate ranges. For example: Positions 1, 4, and 7. Positions 1 through 3 and 8. Positions 1 through 5 and 10. Position 3 through last position. Cut based on a list of bytes. Each selected byte is output unless the option is also specified. Cut based on character positions specified by list extracts the first 72 characters of each line). Where list is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see for example, copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table sub- headings), unless is specified. The character following is the field delimiter option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. Adjacent field delimiters delimit null fields. char may be an international code set character. Do not split characters. If the high end of a range within a list is not the last byte of a character, that character is not included in the output. However, if the low end of a range within a list is not the first byte of a character, the entire character is included in the output." Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters when using option. Unless is specified, lines with no delimiters appear in the output without alteration. Hints Use to extract text from a file based on text pattern recognition (using regular expressions). Use to merge files line-by-line in columnar format. To rearrange columns in a table in a different sequence, use and See grep(1) and paste(1) for more information. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of text as single and/or multi-byte characters. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support supports both single- and multi-byte character code sets. International code set characters may be specified in the char given to the option. recognizes the international code set characters according to the locale specified in the environment variable. EXAMPLES
Password file mapping of user ID to user names: Set environment variable to current login name: Convert file containing lines of arbitrary length into two files where contains the first 500 bytes (unless the 500th byte is within a multi-byte character), and contains the remainder of each line: DIAGNOSTICS
Line length must not exceed characters or fields, including the new-line character (see limits(5). Missing or option or incorrectly specified list. No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list calls for. list is empty. WARNINGS
does not expand tabs. Pipe text through expand(1) if tab expansion is required. Backspace characters are treated the same as any other character. To eliminate backspace characters before processing by use the or com- mand (see fold(1) and col(1)). AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cut(1)