Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to set decimal place in awk? Post 302962420 by jim mcnamara on Monday 14th of December 2015 12:13:30 PM
Old 12-14-2015
awk uses format specifiers very similar to C.
Code:
printf "%.3f  %.3e\n", 1234.12345 1234.12345
1234.123  1.234e+03

So,
Code:
awk '{printf("%s %s %.3f  %.3e\n", $1, $2, $3, $4)}'  inputfile > outputfile

oops - Scrutinizer beat me to it Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

add numbers with decimal place in UNIX

i am trying to add numbers with decimal place and I am prompted with an error. this expr command works :add=`expr 1 + 1` :echo $add :2 but when i am trying to add :addThis=`expr 1.1 + 1` :expr: An integer value was expected. is there a way to add numbers with decimal place in UNIX? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tads98
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Place number with awk

Hello, if I've a list of number 23 34 56 78 how I can place a sequence of ordinated number in a boundary column so 1 23 2 34 3 56 4 78 Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cv313x
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Four decimal places with awk

i have a script in which awk prints "($2-1700)/10000" and the answer is -0.07,but i want the answer in 4 decimal places. that is -0.0700. How can i sue awk to get my results in four decimal places (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: setting decimal

hello, when I type the following command awk -v varc="$i" '{ new=($1*varc)} { print new }'it gives outputs in 5 decimal. How can I set my outputs to 9 decimal by using awk. thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk pattern matching in place of sed

I have written a script to parse data from some files on a Solaris 10 system and send the output to a CSV formatted file. The code snipped i am using to pull the data is as follows.... src_line=$(sed -n "/^search_pattern$/{=;}" $file) for i in $src_line do start_line1=$(( i + 9 )) nawk -v... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: electricheadx
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if condition match and fix print decimal place

Hi All, I have problem in the middle of implementing to users, whereby the complaint is all about the decimal place which is too long. I need two decimal places only, but the outcome from command is always fixed to 6. See the sample : before: Sort Total Site Sort SortName Parts ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: horsepower
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to get the Specific column with 2 decimal place

Hi, I have an issue converting decimal places of a particular column, i am using below script to get the output, but the output is not generating in desired format. awk -F"," 'BEGIN{OFS=","}{if(NR==0)getline;if ($7 != "") {if ($7 > 0) $7=$7/100 ; {printf "%.2f"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to place decimal points at proper position

Hi, I have one input file which is delimited by pipe. I want to put decimal points in this input file at particular position in particular column and also get the negative sign (if any) at start of that column. $ cat Input_file.txt 11|10102693|1|20151202|10263204|20151127|N|0001... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to trim the decimal place for all the columns?

Dear all, I have a file call test.txt which has 2000 columns, 1000 rows. If I want to trim all the columns to 3 decimal places, how can I do it? I know how to use awk prinf to trim specic columns. But I don't know how to trim all the columns. Thank you. data sample: 0.976004565 9.34567845... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zero padding a Number before and after a decimal place

Hi I was hoping someone could help me with a sed script I am trying to write? I am on a Mac running ElCapitan I have some text that I have converted from a pdf that I want to format into an xml file. In the file I have managed to delete all the text I do not need. The text I have left is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
8 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)