Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Percentage sign causing awk problems Post 302962358 by zeus101 on Sunday 13th of December 2015 03:43:41 AM
Old 12-13-2015
Awk doesn't take % as a number. It is considered as a string. Try this:

awk '{if ((substr($NF,1,length($NF)-1)+0)>80) print}' test.log

Here you convert $NF which is a percentage (string) to a number by extracting the number from it. substr function still gives you a string. To convert it to a decimal you add 0 to it.
This User Gave Thanks to zeus101 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

percentage sign in a drive mapping ?

Good day all, I'm hoping someone can help me understand what the percentage sign is and does in mapping a drive to a server ? I provided the example for you. (ie \\server1\share%simon) thanks simon2000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
2 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

HTML is causing problems

I have to suggest that we turn HTML back off. The problem is that angle brackets are used in code and this is causing stuff to get dropped from posts. I know that we can use the constructs that PxT mentions in this thread. But look how hard it is to educate folks about code tags and the search... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GCC causing problems it seems.

Hi, I seem to be getting errors in relation to GCC it seems as I cant upgrade alot of pkgs until I can upgrade or use a later version of GCC. The error I get is along the lines of ( cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-pointer-sign" *** Error code 1 ) Anyway I was wondering if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk percentage

how would you calculate percentage by per line? Given a column of 16 lines, grab each line and divide it by the sum of the entire column and multiply by 100? thanks ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockiefx
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need an AWK script to calculate the percentage

Hi I need a awk script to calculate percentage. I have to pass the pararmeters in to the awk script and calculate the percentage. Sum = 50 passed = 43 failed = 7 I need to pass these value in to the awk script and calculate the percentage. Please advice me. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed percentage calculation

Hi all i have a text file with columns delimited with , 2010-08-18,10,24,.09751,39,7,14872,26732 . . . i would to add a extra column in the end with percentage calculation of columns 5 and 8 ie (39/26732)*100 so the output must look like ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: posner
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spaced input causing awk error

Hi all, Just want to say thanks for the great forum you have here, the old topics and posts have helped tremendously. So much so that I have managed to figure a lot out just by researching. However, I'm having a small issue that I simply can't find the answer to. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whyte_rhyno
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find percentage - awk

Please help me with this ... Input file /vol/test1 10G /vol/test2 1G /vol/test3 200G /vol/test4 3G Output File /vol/test1 10G - - 9G - /vol/test2 1024M - - 921M - /vol/test3 200G - - 180G - /vol/test4 3072M - - 2764M - Basically if Column 2 ( which is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

Shell /awk script for Percentage

having two columns, A and B.. i need to add another column C in a file and calculate the percentage based on the column A and B. (COLUMN B/ COLUMN A *100) . "|" is delimiter separating the A and B.. need C column with the percentage value. Thanks for your help 100|50 |50% ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikirans
6 Replies
bytes(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						bytes(3pm)

NAME
bytes - Perl pragma to force byte semantics rather than character semantics NOTICE
This pragma reflects early attempts to incorporate Unicode into perl and has since been superseded. It breaks encapsulation (i.e. it exposes the innards of how the perl executable currently happens to store a string), and use of this module for anything other than debugging purposes is strongly discouraged. If you feel that the functions here within might be useful for your application, this possibly indicates a mismatch between your mental model of Perl Unicode and the current reality. In that case, you may wish to read some of the perl Unicode documentation: perluniintro, perlunitut, perlunifaq and perlunicode. SYNOPSIS
use bytes; ... chr(...); # or bytes::chr ... index(...); # or bytes::index ... length(...); # or bytes::length ... ord(...); # or bytes::ord ... rindex(...); # or bytes::rindex ... substr(...); # or bytes::substr no bytes; DESCRIPTION
The "use bytes" pragma disables character semantics for the rest of the lexical scope in which it appears. "no bytes" can be used to reverse the effect of "use bytes" within the current lexical scope. Perl normally assumes character semantics in the presence of character data (i.e. data that has come from a source that has been marked as being of a particular character encoding). When "use bytes" is in effect, the encoding is temporarily ignored, and each string is treated as a series of bytes. As an example, when Perl sees "$x = chr(400)", it encodes the character in UTF-8 and stores it in $x. Then it is marked as character data, so, for instance, "length $x" returns 1. However, in the scope of the "bytes" pragma, $x is treated as a series of bytes - the bytes that make up the UTF8 encoding - and "length $x" returns 2: $x = chr(400); print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 1" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 400" { use bytes; # or "require bytes; bytes::length()" print "Length is ", length $x, " "; # "Length is 2" printf "Contents are %vd ", $x; # "Contents are 198.144" } chr(), ord(), substr(), index() and rindex() behave similarly. For more on the implications and differences between character semantics and byte semantics, see perluniintro and perlunicode. LIMITATIONS
bytes::substr() does not work as an lvalue(). SEE ALSO
perluniintro, perlunicode, utf8 perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 bytes(3pm)