Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How to eliminate OR clause when joining tables? Post 302962344 by achenle on Saturday 12th of December 2015 11:34:03 AM
Old 12-12-2015
It looks like you're doing a correlated subquery. Those are nasty performance killers.

Could you post the columns available in each table, the relationships between the tables, and the results you're trying to get?
This User Gave Thanks to achenle For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting tables of row data into columns of tables

I am trying to transpose tables listed in the format into format. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Input: test_data_1 1 2 90% 4 3 91% 5 4 90% 6 5 90% 9 6 90% test_data_2 3 5 92% 5 4 92% 7 3 93% 9 2 92% 1 1 92% ... Output:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: justthisguy
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if clause

hi, pls could you help me with one program in KSH ( i have sunOS). I need to create an If clause, that prints an error message and filenames, when in a directory are found some files of null size (find . -type f -size 0 ). thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmer18
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic SQL for where clause

Hi, I have an app which user can query the database based on 4 criteria, that is Field1, Field2, Field3 and Field4 Mya I know how to write a dynamic SQL where I can choose to retrieve data based on their selected value. eg. where Field1=AAA eg. where Field1=AAA and Field2=BBB eg.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TeSP
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple conditions in 'if clause'

Hi, When i use the below code snippet in my shell script OFC_10.sh: if then echo "Success" exit 2 elif then echo "Failure" exit 6 I get the error message: ./OFC_10.sh: line 41: ' ./OFC_10.sh: line 45: ' Line 41 is the line where If loop starts and line 45 is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrutihardas
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to eliminate ^L

Hi, I am trying to create a text file from data retrieved from a query.The data retrieved is having this character '^L' at regular intervals of the data. How can i eliminate this, Please find below the sample data. I tried sed -e "s/\^L//g" to convert it, but with no luck ^LCODE*SERIAL... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkiran77
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use a shell variable in where clause

Hi all, I want to use a variable inside my sql query and below is my script: #!/bin/ksh export b="abcd" a=`sqlplus -s abc/def@ghi <<++ set heading off; set feedback off; select xxx from mytable where clmn_nm='$b'; exit; ++` echo $a But the output i get is below: $>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaraman
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If clause in perl

HI friends , I am very new to perl .please dont mind if i ask silly questions. I seee below code in one sript if ( exists $ENV{FMTWRP_TMP_DIR} and $ENV{FMTWRP_TMP_DIR} ) { $tdir = $ENV{FMTWRP_TMP_DIR}; } whats does this mean . I am very confused about the if clauses in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

../ in perl and if clause

Hi can anyone please explain what the below code does? i mean $fide_stopfile = ? when $FIDE_SCR = '/fs/dir1/dir2/common/scr' and also little confused with if clause too. what it check? $fide_stopfile = "$ENV{FIDE_SCR}/../tmp/STOP"; if ( -e $fide_stopfile > 0 ) { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for a directory with if clause?

Hello All, I want to do a conditional search for a directory, i.e pathname=/abc/def foldername=xyz if ( $pathname/$foldername/aaa ) then .................. fi Here i am searching for aaa directory inside the path and if it exist then it should go inside the loop. Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pramod_009
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If clause query

Hi, i need to add a condition in my IF clause where i need to check if the file exists in a folder and return true out of it. but in my directory i have multiple files with same name but datestamp append on it for e.g. export f1 = filename export f2=filename1 if ] then echo "No... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
9 Replies
DELETE(7)						  PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation						 DELETE(7)

NAME
DELETE - delete rows of a table SYNOPSIS
[ WITH [ RECURSIVE ] with_query [, ...] ] DELETE FROM [ ONLY ] table_name [ * ] [ [ AS ] alias ] [ USING using_list ] [ WHERE condition | WHERE CURRENT OF cursor_name ] [ RETURNING * | output_expression [ [ AS ] output_name ] [, ...] ] DESCRIPTION
DELETE deletes rows that satisfy the WHERE clause from the specified table. If the WHERE clause is absent, the effect is to delete all rows in the table. The result is a valid, but empty table. Tip TRUNCATE(7) is a PostgreSQL extension that provides a faster mechanism to remove all rows from a table. There are two ways to delete rows in a table using information contained in other tables in the database: using sub-selects, or specifying additional tables in the USING clause. Which technique is more appropriate depends on the specific circumstances. The optional RETURNING clause causes DELETE to compute and return value(s) based on each row actually deleted. Any expression using the table's columns, and/or columns of other tables mentioned in USING, can be computed. The syntax of the RETURNING list is identical to that of the output list of SELECT. You must have the DELETE privilege on the table to delete from it, as well as the SELECT privilege for any table in the USING clause or whose values are read in the condition. PARAMETERS
with_query The WITH clause allows you to specify one or more subqueries that can be referenced by name in the DELETE query. See Section 7.8, "WITH Queries (Common Table Expressions)", in the documentation and SELECT(7) for details. table_name The name (optionally schema-qualified) of the table to delete rows from. If ONLY is specified before the table name, matching rows are deleted from the named table only. If ONLY is not specified, matching rows are also deleted from any tables inheriting from the named table. Optionally, * can be specified after the table name to explicitly indicate that descendant tables are included. alias A substitute name for the target table. When an alias is provided, it completely hides the actual name of the table. For example, given DELETE FROM foo AS f, the remainder of the DELETE statement must refer to this table as f not foo. using_list A list of table expressions, allowing columns from other tables to appear in the WHERE condition. This is similar to the list of tables that can be specified in the FROM Clause of a SELECT statement; for example, an alias for the table name can be specified. Do not repeat the target table in the using_list, unless you wish to set up a self-join. condition An expression that returns a value of type boolean. Only rows for which this expression returns true will be deleted. cursor_name The name of the cursor to use in a WHERE CURRENT OF condition. The row to be deleted is the one most recently fetched from this cursor. The cursor must be a non-grouping query on the DELETE's target table. Note that WHERE CURRENT OF cannot be specified together with a Boolean condition. See DECLARE(7) for more information about using cursors with WHERE CURRENT OF. output_expression An expression to be computed and returned by the DELETE command after each row is deleted. The expression can use any column names of the table named by table_name or table(s) listed in USING. Write * to return all columns. output_name A name to use for a returned column. OUTPUTS
On successful completion, a DELETE command returns a command tag of the form DELETE count The count is the number of rows deleted. Note that the number may be less than the number of rows that matched the condition when deletes were suppressed by a BEFORE DELETE trigger. If count is 0, no rows were deleted by the query (this is not considered an error). If the DELETE command contains a RETURNING clause, the result will be similar to that of a SELECT statement containing the columns and values defined in the RETURNING list, computed over the row(s) deleted by the command. NOTES
PostgreSQL lets you reference columns of other tables in the WHERE condition by specifying the other tables in the USING clause. For example, to delete all films produced by a given producer, one can do: DELETE FROM films USING producers WHERE producer_id = producers.id AND producers.name = 'foo'; What is essentially happening here is a join between films and producers, with all successfully joined films rows being marked for deletion. This syntax is not standard. A more standard way to do it is: DELETE FROM films WHERE producer_id IN (SELECT id FROM producers WHERE name = 'foo'); In some cases the join style is easier to write or faster to execute than the sub-select style. EXAMPLES
Delete all films but musicals: DELETE FROM films WHERE kind <> 'Musical'; Clear the table films: DELETE FROM films; Delete completed tasks, returning full details of the deleted rows: DELETE FROM tasks WHERE status = 'DONE' RETURNING *; Delete the row of tasks on which the cursor c_tasks is currently positioned: DELETE FROM tasks WHERE CURRENT OF c_tasks; COMPATIBILITY
This command conforms to the SQL standard, except that the USING and RETURNING clauses are PostgreSQL extensions, as is the ability to use WITH with DELETE. PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 DELETE(7)