Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash: Pulling first and last character in string Post 302962326 by durden_tyler on Friday 11th of December 2015 08:14:07 PM
Old 12-11-2015
Sure, you're welcome!
If you have never programmed in Perl, then it might take some time to become comfortable with the language. But if you're going to do complex file processing, then learning a scripting language (any language: awk, Perl, Python, Ruby etc.) might be a good investment of your time.

A good way to learn Perl would be to start small and understand one concept at a time. For example,
- the shebang line (first line)
- the purpose of "use strict"
- hashes, arrays, scalars,
- how files are read, how they are written
- regular expression syntax
- functions like "lc", "int"
- operators like "defined" etc.

The Perl documentation is the best place to get information about these individual bits:
(1) perldoc.perl.org

Simon Cozen's online book is good for understanding programming in Perl (only the first 6 chapters should be enough):
(2) https://www.perl.org/books/beginning-perl/

The books by O'Reilly are well regarded:
(3) Learning Perl
(4) Intermediate Perl

And for the advanced Perl programmer:
(5) Programming Perl

Cookbooks are very interesting as well - they provide just enough information to get the job done. An online Perl cookbook is:
(6) PLEAC-Perl

And the published book is:
(7) Perl Cookbook, 2nd edition

This website has a list of Perl tutorials on the Internet and also mentions which ones are good and which ones are bad:
(8) Perl Tutorial Hub

However, besides reading about Perl, you'll also need to actually write programs to understand it.

=================

Having said that, there should be other forum members here who could post awk or plain Bash scripts for your problem, so keep an eye on this space.

Last edited by durden_tyler; 12-11-2015 at 09:20 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to durden_tyler For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to check the first character in string

Hello would appreciate if somebody can post a bash script that checks if the first character of the given string is equal to, say, "a" thnx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ole111
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pulling the first and last character/number from a string.

Let's say I have a word "foobar23" in a file, and I want to pull the first "f" and last "3" character out of the world, how would I accomplish that? # cat file foobar23 I want the output to be: f3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script pulling variable from query_string

I have a variable embedded in a long string called "commands" coming in on a query_string. I need to copy the string to a file with the variable $loop1 converted before it writes. Right now, it writes the varible itself instead of what it should be. QUERY_STRING... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - get specific character from the string

Hi! If I want to extract a character from a specific position of a string, I can use ${string:1:1} (if I want character at the position 1). How can I do the same thing, when the number of position is contained in the variable? ${string:$var:1}doesn't work, unfortunately. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: How to remove the last character of a string?

In bash, how can one remove the last character of a string? In perl, the chop function would remove the last character. However, I do not know how to do the same job in bash. Many thanks in advance. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic bash -- pulling files from an FTP server

Hi guys. Very new to this so apologies if this is ridiculously obvious, but I am not sure why this isn't working. I want to pull a file off an FTP server. I currently do it through windows, which is no problem, but I want to move everything to a Linux box I just installed. wget won't work as the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majormajormajor
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH- Need help pulling data from .emlx

Hello, fellow computer junkies. First time poster! My boss wrote an application (Mavericks 10.9, Mountain Lion 10.8) that checks a user's security settings. The user runs the application, then it spits out an email that is sent back to our inbox showing the results. On our end, we have a mail rule... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match string against character class in bash

Hello, I want to check whether string has only numeric characters. The following code doesn't work for me #!/usr/local/bin/bash if ]]; then echo "true" else echo "False" fi # ./yyy '346' False # ./yyy 'aaa' False I'm searching for solution using character classes, not regex.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Inserting non printable character(s) in string variable

Hello. I have a string variable named L_TEMP to test a very simple filter. L_TEMP="50AwL.|KWp9jk" I want to insert a non printable character between K and W. I have try this : linux-g65k:~ # a='50AwL.|K' linux-g65k:~ # b='Wp9jk' linux-g65k:~ # L_TEMP="$a$'\x07'$b" linux-g65k:~ # echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escape bash-special character in a bash string

Hi, I am new in bash scripting. In my work, I provide support to several users and when I connect to their computers I use the same admin and password, so I am trying to create a script that will only ask me for the IP address and then connect to the computer without having me to type the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoa05
5 Replies
Parse::ErrorString::Perl(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			     Parse::ErrorString::Perl(3pm)

NAME
Parse::ErrorString::Perl - Parse error messages from the perl interpreter VERSION
version 0.15 SYNOPSIS
use Parse::ErrorString::Perl; my $parser = Parse::ErrorString::Perl->new; # or: my $parser = Parse::ErrorString::Perl->new(lang => 'FR') # to get localized explanations my @errors = $parser->parse_string($string_containing_stderr_output); foreach my $error(@errors) { print 'Captured error message "' . $error->message . '" in file ' . $error->file . ' on line ' . $error->line . " "; } METHODS
new(lang => $lang) Constructor. Receives an optional "lang" parameter, specifying that error explanations need to be delivered in a language different from the default (i.e. English). Will try to load "POD2::$lang::perldiag". parse_string($string) Receives an error string generated from the perl interpreter and attempts to parse it into a list of "Parse::ErrorString::Perl::ErrorItem" objects providing information for each error. SEE ALSO
splain ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Part of this module is based on code from splain. BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests to "bug-parse-errorstring-perl at rt.cpan.org", or through the web interface at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Parse-ErrorString-Perl>. I will be notified, and then you'll automatically be notified of progress on your bug as I make changes. SUPPORT
You can find documentation for this module with the perldoc command. perldoc Parse::ErrorString::Perl o RT: CPAN's request tracker <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Parse-ErrorString-Perl> o AnnoCPAN: Annotated CPAN documentation <http://annocpan.org/dist/Parse-ErrorString-Perl> o CPAN Ratings <http://cpanratings.perl.org/d/Parse-ErrorString-Perl> o Search CPAN <http://search.cpan.org/dist/Parse-ErrorString-Perl/> AUTHORS
o Petar Shangov, "<pshangov at yahoo.com>" o Gabor Szabo <http://szabgab.com/> o Ahmad M. Zawawi <ahmad.zawawi@gmail.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2010 by Petar Shangov. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-11-29 Parse::ErrorString::Perl(3pm)