Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disk Performance
Operating Systems Linux Disk Performance Post 302962159 by Peasant on Wednesday 9th of December 2015 03:45:00 AM
Old 12-09-2015
Check out the output of (output here is from one of my machines)..
Code:
ls -lart /dev/dm*
brw-rw----. 1 root disk253, 1 Nov 25 10:06 /dev/dm-1
brw-rw----. 1 root disk 253, 0 Nov 25 10:06 /dev/dm-0
brw-rw----. 1 root disk 253, 4 Nov 25 10:06 /dev/dm-4
brw-rw----. 1 root disk 253, 3 Nov 25 10:06 /dev/dm-3
brw-rw----. 1 root disk 253, 2 Nov 25 10:06 /dev/dm-2

Notice the MAJOR,MINOR numbers above
Code:
# dmsetup info
Name:              rootvg-tmp
State:             ACTIVE
Read Ahead:        256
Tables present:    LIVE
Open count:        1
Event number:      0
Major, minor:      253, 4
Number of targets: 1
..... # other output.

So rootvg-tmp coresponds with /dev/dm-4 device.

vgdisplay -v will provide output which physical volumes belong to which volume group.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

optimizing disk performance

I have some questions regarding disk perfomance, and what I can do to make it just a little (or much :)) more faster. From what I've heard the first partitions will be faster than the later ones because tracks at the outer edges of a hard drive platter simply moves faster. But I've also read in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.P
4 Replies

2. AIX

disk performance

Hello, I have a aix 570 system with san disk. I do write test of performance in a lv with four disk. While the test I run filemon tools for trace the disk activity. The outputs of filemon are at the en of this message. I see my lV(logical volume) throughput at 100 meg by second. 2 of 4 disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hugues
0 Replies

3. AIX

AIX 5.2 5.3 disk performance exerciser tool

I'm search for a disk exerciser / load tool like iometer, iozone, diskx for IBM AIX 5.2 and 5.3 Because of a very bad disk performance on several AIX systems, I need to have a tool which is able to generate a disk load on my local and SAN disks. Does somebody knows a kind of tool which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: funsje
5 Replies

4. Red Hat

Linux disk performance

I am getting absolutely dreadful iowait stats on my disks when I am trying to install some applications. I have 2 physical disks on which I have created 2 separate logical volume groups and a logical volume in each. I have dumped some stats as below My dual core CPU is not being over utilised... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Disk performance problem on login

Running CentOS 5.5: I've come across a relatively recent problem, where in the last 2 months or so, the root disk goes to 99% utilization for about 20 seconds when a user logs in. This occurs whether a user logs in locally or via ssh. I have tried using lsof to track down the process that is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Hard disk write performance very slow

Dear All, I have a hard disk in solaris on which the write performanc is too slow. The CPU , RAM memory are absolutely fine. What might be reason. Kindly explain. Rj (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
9 Replies

7. Solaris

disk performance

What tools/utilities do you use to generate metrics on disk i/o throughput on Solaris. For example, if I want to see the i/o rate of random or sequential r/w. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Poor Disk performance on ZFS

Hello, we have a machine with Solaris Express 11, 2 LSI 9211 8i SAS 2 controllers (multipath to disks), multiport backplane, 16 Seagate Cheetah 15K RPM disks. Each disk has a sequential performance of 220/230 MB/s and in fact if I do a dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rdsk/<diskID_1> bs=1024k... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: golemico
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Poor disk performance however no sign of failure

Hello guys, I have two servers performing the same disk operations. I believe one server is having a disk's impending failure however I have no hard evidence to prove it. This is a pair of Netra 210's with 2 drives in a hardware raid mirror (LSI raid controller). While performing intensive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s ladd
4 Replies
OCI_NEW_CONNECT(3)														OCI_NEW_CONNECT(3)

oci_new_connect - Connect to the Oracle server using a unique connection

SYNOPSIS
resource oci_new_connect (string $username, string $password, [string $connection_string], [string $character_set], [int $ses- sion_mode]) DESCRIPTION
Establishes a new connection to an Oracle server and logs on. Unlike oci_connect(3) and oci_pconnect(3), oci_new_connect(3) does not cache connections and will always return a brand-new freshly opened connection handle. This is useful if your application needs transactional isolation between two sets of queries. PARAMETERS
o $username - The Oracle user name. o $password - The password for $username. o $connection_string -Contains the Oracle instance to connect to. It can be an Easy Connect string, or a Connect Name from the tnsnames.ora file, or the name of a local Oracle instance. If not specified, PHP uses environment variables such as TWO_TASK (on Linux) or LOCAL (on Windows) and ORACLE_SID to determine the Oracle instance to connect to. To use the Easy Connect naming method, PHP must be linked with Oracle 10 g or greater Client libraries. The Easy Connect string for Oracle 10 g is of the form: [//]host_name[:port][/ser- vice_name]. From Oracle 11 g, the syntax is: [//]host_name[:port][/service_name][:server_type][/instance_name]. Service names can be found by running the Oracle utility lsnrctl status on the database server machine. The tnsnames.ora file can be in the Oracle Net search path, which includes $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin and /etc. Alternatively set TNS_ADMIN so that $TNS_ADMIN/tnsnames.ora is read. Make sure the web daemon has read access to the file. o $character_set -Determines the character set used by the Oracle Client libraries. The character set does not need to match the character set used by the database. If it doesn't match, Oracle will do its best to convert data to and from the database character set. Depending on the character sets this may not give usable results. Conversion also adds some time overhead. If not specified, the Oracle Client libraries determine a character set from the NLS_LANG environment variable. Passing this parameter can reduce the time taken to connect. o $session_mode -This parameter is available since version PHP 5 (PECL OCI8 1.1) and accepts the following values: OCI_DEFAULT, OCI_SYSOPER and OCI_SYSDBA. If either OCI_SYSOPER or OCI_SYSDBA were specified, this function will try to establish privileged connection using external credentials. Privileged connections are disabled by default. To enable them you need to set oci8.privileged_connect to On. PHP 5.3 (PECL OCI8 1.3.4) introduced the OCI_CRED_EXT mode value. This tells Oracle to use External or OS authentication, which must be configured in the database. The OCI_CRED_EXT flag can only be used with username of "/" and a empty password. oci8.privileged_connect may be On or Off. OCI_CRED_EXT may be combined with the OCI_SYSOPER or OCI_SYSDBA modes. OCI_CRED_EXT is not supported on Windows for security reasons. RETURN VALUES
Returns a connection identifier or FALSE on error. EXAMPLES
The following demonstrates how you can separate connections. Example #1 oci_new_connect(3) example <?php // create table mytab (mycol number); function query($name, $c) { echo "Querying $name "; $s = oci_parse($c, "select * from mytab"); oci_execute($s, OCI_NO_AUTO_COMMIT); $row = oci_fetch_array($s, OCI_ASSOC); if (!$row) { echo "No rows "; } else { do { foreach ($row as $item) echo $item . " "; echo " "; } while (($row = oci_fetch_array($s, OCI_ASSOC)) != false); } } $c1 = oci_connect("hr", "welcome", "localhost/orcl"); $c2 = oci_new_connect("hr", "welcome", "localhost/orcl"); $s = oci_parse($c1, "insert into mytab values(1234)"); oci_execute($s, OCI_NO_AUTO_COMMIT); query("basic connection", $c1); query("new connection", $c2); oci_commit($c1); query("new connection after commit", $c2); // Output is: // Querying basic connection // 1234 // Querying new connection // No rows // Querying new connection after commit // 1234 ?> See oci_connect(3) for further examples of parameter usage. SEE ALSO
oci_connect(3), oci_pconnect(3). PHP Documentation Group OCI_NEW_CONNECT(3)