Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pinging Host
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Pinging Host Post 302961932 by 5sku5 on Sunday 6th of December 2015 10:16:17 PM
Old 12-06-2015
Pinging Host

I need to ping websites and I need to see which one has the highest delay.

My problem is I need to extract the name Facebook and the time=74.0 ms using awk. I need help doing this please...

Code:
PING facebook.com (173.252.90.36) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from edge-star-mini-shv-13-atn1.facebook.com (173.252.90.36): icmp_req=1 ttl=76 time=74.0 ms

--- facebook.com ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 74.087/74.087/74.087/0.000 ms
PING pbs.org (23.21.237.247) 56(84) bytes of data.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 12-07-2015 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: Add CODE and ICODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Server stopped pinging (in and out)

hi All my Redhat Linux server stopped responding to pings all together. and am also not able to ping out of the box. There are however no issues with internet connectivity and my application is working fine. When I tried to ping another machine (Win98) i could see the pings coming from my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
2 Replies

2. AIX

pinging IP's in a file

Hey all. I have a long list of IP addresses I want to ping. The IP's are located in a flat file "ping_info.dat". I was wondering what the best way to go about this would be. Can someone help me out? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pinging an ip

Hi, How to ping an ip from an unix machine. Can you please let me know the exact command. I used and i got the below error ping 171.18.17.2 bash: ping: command not found Thanks n regards Ammu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ammu
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Alternate to pinging boxes

Hello, We have boxes on a WAN network I guess you would call it, pretty much they are hooked up via DSL in different locations in the US and we connect to them via SSH for a secure connection. Some of the boxes won't return a ping request like they are down, I am guessing is because the router... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forking and Pinging

Keep in mind that I haven't done Perl scripting for a LONG time, so I'm quite rusty. This is what I would like to do: - using fork, create 3 or 4 processes to read 3 or 4 different text documents containing server names or IP addresses - in each of those processes, Perl will ping each of those... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Server Pinging Problem

Dear all, I face some problem as below. I have a sun fire 280r server in a network. From that server i am able to ping any system in any network. But i am facing the problem when i try to ping the server from outside netwok. Once i give ping command in the server then only i try to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhansu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pinging a domain

how can you ping a domain and store the ip? like given a url in a variable $url how can i ping it? also how can i find the local server's ip address on a cpanel server? (i have multiple servers and didnt want to hard code it in) (basically i want to check the domain accounts on the server,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
11 Replies

8. IP Networking

Pinging IP located on another interface

Hi, I have a rather strange IP question... Here's my problem: I have a Linux box (call it "turing") with 2 NICs. One network interface (eth0) has an IP assigned, say 192.168.42.50. The other interface (eth1) is up, but has no IP yet. My question: is it possible to determine from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NH2
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Script for pinging continuously

Hi, I need to set up a script that would write the results of the ping command from one AIX server to another file may be every minute. Like this I need to gather the data for a period of 24 hours. Can someone please help me with this? G (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pinging 5 hosts once every hour

Hello folks; I'm trying to write a shell script to ping 5 hosts i have once every 1 hour and if it receives any failure from any of those hosts, it sends an email alert with the results from this failing ping. Any help would be greatly appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katkota
1 Replies
HOBBITPING(1)						      General Commands Manual						     HOBBITPING(1)

NAME
hobbitping - Xymon ping tool SYNOPSIS
hobbitping [--retries=N] [--timeout=N] [IP-adresses] DESCRIPTION
hobbitping(1) is used for ping testing of the hosts monitored by the xymon(7) monitoring system. It reads a list of IP adresses from stdin, and performs a "ping" check to see if these hosts are alive. It is normally invoked by the bbtest-net(1) utility, which performs all of the Xymon network tests. Optionally, if a list of IP-adresses is passed as commandline arguments, it will ping those IP's instead of reading them from stdin. hobbitping only handles IP-adresses, not hostnames. hobbitping was inspired by the fping(1) tool, but has been written from scratch to implement a fast ping tester without much of the over- head found in other such utilities. The output from hobbitping is similar to that of "fping -Ae". hobbitping probes multiple systems in parallel, and the runtime is therefore mostly dependant on the timeout-setting and the number of retries. With the default options, hobbitping takes approximately 18 seconds to ping all hosts (tested with an input set of 1500 IP adresses). SUID-ROOT INSTALLATION REQUIRED hobbitping needs to be installed with suid-root privileges, since it requires a "raw socket" to send and receive ICMP Echo (ping) packets. hobbitping is implemented such that it immediately drops the root privileges, and only regains them to perform two operations: Obtaining the raw socket, and optionally binding it to a specific source address. These operations are performed as root, the rest of the time hob- bitping runs with normal user privileges. Specifically, no user-supplied data or network data is used while running with root privileges. Therefore it should be safe to provide hobbitping with the necessary suid-root privileges. OPTIONS
--retries=N Sets the number of retries for hosts that fail to respond to the initial ping, i.e. the number of ping probes sent in addition to the initial probe. The default is --retries=2, to ping a host 3 times before concluding that it is not responding. --timeout=N Determines the timeout (in seconds) for ping probes. If a host does not respond within N seconds, it is regarded as unavailable, unless it responds to one of the retries. The default is --timeout=5. --responses=N hobbitping normally stops pinging a host after receiving a single response, and uses that to determine the round-trip time. If the first response takes longer to arrive - e.g. because of additional network overhead when first determining the route to the target host - it may skew the round-trip-time reports. You can then use this option to require N responses, and hobbitping will calculate the round-trip time as the average of all of responsetimes. --max-pps=N Maximum number of packets per second. This limits the number of ICMP packets hobbitping will send per second, by enforcing a brief delay after each packet is sent. The default setting is to send a maximum of 50 packets per second. Note that increasing this may cause flooding of the network, and since ICMP packets can be discarded by routers and other network equipment, this can cause erratic behaviour with hosts recorded as not responding when they are in fact OK. --source=ADDRESS Use ADDRESS as the source IP address of the ping packets sent. On multi-homed systems, allows you to select the source IP of the hosts going out, which might be necessary for ping to work. --debug Enable debug output. This prints out all packets sent and received. SEE ALSO
xymon(7), bbtest-net(1), fping(1) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 HOBBITPING(1)