Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Process multiple large files with awk Post 302961928 by Don Cragun on Sunday 6th of December 2015 07:50:53 PM
Old 12-06-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
You need to replace
Code:
sum += d[key, i]

with
Code:
sum += data[key, i]

to have the sum printed.

---------- Post updated at 13:29 ---------- Previous update was at 11:57 ----------

Not sure if this will perform better (or even worse?) but it leaves the memory consumption to sort which has options to handle that. We need the files' names upfront, thus the ls trick. Try
Code:
{ ls -x file[1-3]; grep '' file[1-3] | sort -k2,2 -k1,1; } | awk  '
NR == 1         {for (FC=n=split ($0, FN); n>0; n--) FILES[FN[n]] = n
                 next
                }
 ... ... ...

Thank you for catchng my typo. (I made the mistake of trying to make the array name more descriptive after I tested the script, and missed the last needed change.)

Note that ls -x file* can produce more than one line of output depending on the length of the list of file names. We know that the input files are selected by $BASEPATH/dataset/*, but we haven't been given any indication of the length's of the names matched by * in that pattern nor of what the real length of the expansion of BASEPATH will be.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to divide single large log file into multiple files.

Can you please help me with writing script for following purpose. I have to divide single large web access log file into multiple log files based on dates inside the log file. For example: if data is logged in the access file for jan-10-08 , jan-11-08 , Jan-12-08 then make small log file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamleshm
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Shell Program to Split Large Files

Hi, I need some help creating a tidy shell program with awk or other language that will split large length files efficiently. Here is an example dump: <A001_MAIL.DAT> 0001 Ronald McDonald 01 H81 0002 Elmo St. Elmo 02 H82 0003 Cookie Monster 01 H81 0004 Oscar ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkastin
16 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multiple smaller files from one large file

I have a file with a simple list of ids. 750,000 rows. I have to break it down into multiple 50,000 row files to submit in a batch process.. Is there an easy script I could write to accomplish this task? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtroscianecki
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK to separate data from a large XML file into multiple files

I have a 500 MB XML file from a FileMaker database export, it's formatted horribly (no line breaks at all). The node structure is basically <FMPXMLRESULT> <METADATA> <FIELD att="............." id="..."/> </METADATA> <RESULTSET FOUND="1763457"> <ROW att="....." etc="...."> ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: JRy
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files

Hi, I'd like to process multiple files. For example: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Each file contains several lines of data. I want to extract a piece of data and output it to a new file. file1.txt ----> newfile1.txt file2.txt ----> newfile2.txt file3.txt ----> newfile3.txt Here is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - splitting 1 large file into multiple based on same key records

Hello gurus, I am new to "awk" and trying to break a large file having 4 million records into several output files each having half million but at the same time I want to keep the similar key records in the same output file, not to exist accross the files. e.g. my data is like: Row_Num,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kam66
6 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Help to make awk script more efficient for large files

Hello, Error awk: Internal software error in the tostring function on TS1101?05044400?.0085498227?0?.0011041461?.0034752266?.00397045?0?0?0?0?0?0?11/02/10?09/23/10???10?no??0??no?sct_det3_10_20110516_143936.txt What it is It is a unix shell script that contains an awk program as well as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting large file into multiple files in unix based on pattern

I need to write a shell script for below scenario My input file has data in format: qwerty0101TWE 12345 01022005 01022005 datainala alanfernanded 26 qwerty0101mXZ 12349 01022005 06022008 datainalb johngalilo 28 qwerty0101TWE 12342 01022005 07022009 datainalc hitalbert 43 qwerty0101CFG 12345... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy12
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split large zone file dump into multiple files

I have a large zone file dump that consists of ; DNS record for the adomain.com domain data1 data2 data3 data4 data5 CRLF CRLF CRLF ; DNS record for the anotherdomain.com domain data1 data2 data3 data4 data5 data6 CRLF (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bluemerlin
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find common numbers from two very large files using awk or the like

I've got two files that each contain a 16-digit number in positions 1-16. The first file has 63,120 entries all sorted numerically. The second file has 142,479 entries, also sorted numerically. I want to read through each file and output the entries that appear in both. So far I've had no... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
13 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)