Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk: Assigning a variable to be the value of FNR at a certain line Post 302961875 by ThomasP on Saturday 5th of December 2015 11:35:09 AM
Old 12-05-2015
So f.e.

Code:
some_var=sprintf(NFR)

and then later
Code:
print(some_var)

Would give me the original value and some_var would not be reevaluated as being =NFR ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with assigning output of grep + awk to a variable

Hi All, I am getting the output for the following command when i run it on the unix console. --------------------------- grep `whoami` /etc/passwd | awk '{print ($1);}' | cut -d ":" -f3 ---------------------------- But i made it into a script and tried to print the variable, its... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meheretoknow
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Variable to AWK statement

Hi, The following command runs on in the Korn shell prompt. however i want to output the value of this to a variable. Can anyone provide a solution? echo 'ABC,DEF,"G,HI,J",KLM,"MNi,O"'| awk -F "\"" '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if(i%2)gsub("\,","~^~",$i)}}1' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladarlsan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning the output of a command to a variable, where there may be >1 line returned?

Hello I am using unix CLI commands for the Synergy CM software. The command basically searches for a folder ID and returns the names of the projects the folder sits in. The result is assigned to a variable: FIND_USE=`ccm folder -fu -u -f "%name"-"%version" ${FOLDER_ID}` When the command... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning last line to variable in expect

As part of an expect script, I have to convert a strange user ID to a conventional UNIX ID. To do this, I read the contents of a file and do a little awk magic. Here's that bit of the expect script: send "awk 'NF == 10 && \$NF == strange_user_id {print \$(NF-2)}' file_with_my_info\r" expect... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Read a file and assigning each line to a variable?

Friends, I have a file output.txt with values as below: 092307135717 061910135717 I want to know how to read this file and then assign each value to a variable. say like var1=092307135717 var2=061910135717 So that I can use this VAR1 and Var2 in the shell script for further processing.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamaladevi
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning substr to a variable inside awk

Hi All, I have a fixed-width datafile from which i need to extract value/string starting from some position to the specified length in each of the lines. awk '{print substr($0,x,y)}' datafile --- is working fine but awk 'BEGIN{a=0}{a=substr($0,x,y);print $a}' datafile ---is giving... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: loggedin.ksh
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a value to variable through awk

I am trying to assign a value to a variable thru awk and I am having a lot of problem with it. Pls see the code snippet. The one in RED is the actual code. Other lines are the op created by the system. As you can see from the data, I was expecting an output of DG010 SDS FILE for FILE_NAME... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output from awk to variable

I have a script whose contents are as below result= awk 's=100 END {print s }' echo "The result is" $result The desired output is The result is 100 My script is running without exiting and i am also not getting the desired output. Please help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bk_12345
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Variable to Line Numer in nl

hi, i'm creating a little menu for some users. i'm running the command: du -a /apps | sort -n -r | head -n 10 | nl i then get the top 10 files by size in the /apps directory the output is like this: 1 101415752 /apps 2 89188064 /apps/userA 3 74521335 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: horhif
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tcsh command for assigning output of awk to variable

Hi I have a text file with 2 values and I am trying to assign each value to a variable and then write those to text files. So if the textfile is data.txt with 2 values x and y I want to assign mean=x, and stdev=y and then write these out in text files alongwith the id ($id has already been... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: violin
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)