Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to list users without MD5 encrypted password? Post 302961799 by durden_tyler on Thursday 3rd of December 2015 11:15:04 PM
Old 12-04-2015
Code:
grep -Ev "^[^:]+:[$]1[$]" /etc/shadow

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

netrc file encrypted password

Hi, I do not want the plaintext password to appear in the netrc file. So I want to encrypt the password. Is there a way to encrypt the password and still make ftp to use the netrc ? Thanks in advance. -Gow:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggowrish
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change password by pushing encrypted password to systems

I'm tasked to change a user's password on multiple Linux systems (RH v3). I though copying the encrypted password from one Linux /etc/shadow file to another would work but I was wrong. The long term solution is to establish an openLDAP Directory service, but for now I'm stuck with a manual... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: benq70
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

list the password settings for all the users

Hi!! How can I list the password settings for all the users?? Best regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: irasela
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Name and Password List/adding and removing users.

Hello everyone and let me start off by thanking anyone who can help with this. I work for a company that uses Unix as one of their servers. I'm not at all familar with Unix beyond logging after I restart the server:rolleyes: I'm looking for some command that will bring me up a list of current... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: disgracedsaint
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To decrypt encrypted password

Hi folks, What will be the easy way to decrypt encrypted passwords on MySQL table. Googling brought me many suggestions on crypt/decrypt running scripts. Please advise. TIA Remark: I think the encrypt function of MySQL uses the Unix crypt command to encrypt B.R. satimis (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satimis
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/shadow encrypted password

Hi I wonder whether is possible to generate enrypted passwd for some user and paste it into /etc/shadow file ? What kind of encryption is used in /etc/shadow file ? ths for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

7. Linux

Convert MD5 password to SHA-512?

Hi, Is it possible to convert MD5 passwords to SHA-512? I'm about to migrate an old slackware server to Debian, then I noticed that they don't use same encryption method. I'm aware that I can change the encryption method in Debian to MD5, but as far as I understand SHA-512 is more secure,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urandom
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using the encrypted password of the shadow file

i have an application that uses the encrypted password that's in the /etc/shadow file. i copied the line for the particular username i was interested it in from shadow file and i pasted it into the password file of the application. the application is nagios. this application allowed that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Encrypted password in script

How to keep encrypted password in a shell script.? I have the file which has the following: a.sh ----- username=abc password=abc I will be using this username and password in another script. But I don't want to reveal the password in the script. How to keep the password... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanvel
3 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

Is TLS encrypted password safe?

Hello, on my android device my app autosaves my password and it encrypts by TLS im not politically exposed person, just regular entrepreneur. Should i worry if i loose my phone with TLS encrypted password? Or regular mortals or casual hackers are not able to crack it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
4 Replies
CHPASSWD(8)						    System Management Commands						       CHPASSWD(8)

NAME
chpasswd - update passwords in batch mode SYNOPSIS
chpasswd [options] DESCRIPTION
The chpasswd command reads a list of user name and password pairs from standard input and uses this information to update a group of existing users. Each line is of the format: user_name:password By default the passwords must be supplied in clear-text, and are encrypted by chpasswd. Also the password age will be updated, if present. By default, passwords are encrypted by PAM, but (even if not recommended) you can select a different encryption method with the -e, -m, or -c options. Except when PAM is used to encrypt the passwords, chpasswd first updates all the passwords in memory, and then commits all the changes to disk if no errors occured for any user. When PAM is used to encrypt the passwords (and update the passwords in the system database) then if a password cannot be updated chpasswd continues updating the passwords of the next users, and will return an error code on exit. This command is intended to be used in a large system environment where many accounts are created at a single time. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chpasswd command are: -c, --crypt-method METHOD Use the specified method to encrypt the passwords. The available methods are DES, MD5, NONE, and SHA256 or SHA512 if your libc support these methods. By default, PAM is used to encrypt the passwords. -e, --encrypted Supplied passwords are in encrypted form. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -m, --md5 Use MD5 encryption instead of DES when the supplied passwords are not encrypted. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --sha-rounds ROUNDS Use the specified number of rounds to encrypt the passwords. The value 0 means that the system will choose the default number of rounds for the crypt method (5000). A minimal value of 1000 and a maximal value of 999,999,999 will be enforced. You can only use this option with the SHA256 or SHA512 crypt method. By default, the number of rounds is defined by the SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS and SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS variables in /etc/login.defs. CAVEATS
Remember to set permissions or umask to prevent readability of unencrypted files by other users. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS (number), SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS (number) When ENCRYPT_METHOD is set to SHA256 or SHA512, this defines the number of SHA rounds used by the encryption algorithm by default (when the number of rounds is not specified on the command line). With a lot of rounds, it is more difficult to brute forcing the password. But note also that more CPU resources will be needed to authenticate users. If not specified, the libc will choose the default number of rounds (5000). The values must be inside the 1000-999,999,999 range. If only one of the SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS or SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS values is set, then this value will be used. If SHA_CRYPT_MIN_ROUNDS > SHA_CRYPT_MAX_ROUNDS, the highest value will be used. Note: This only affect the generation of group passwords. The generation of user passwords is done by PAM and subject to the PAM configuration. It is recommended to set this variable consistently with the PAM configuration. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. /etc/pam.d/chpasswd PAM configuration for chpasswd. SEE ALSO
passwd(1), newusers(8), login.defs(5), useradd(8). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 CHPASSWD(8)