Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed editing text file using the terminal Post 302961763 by 4galaxy7 on Thursday 3rd of December 2015 09:11:27 AM
Old 12-03-2015
Thanks that's worked I think. Would it be possible to maybe make it so that it copies the results into a text file, because i can't seem to copy and paste the terminal output into a word file because it's so many lines long. Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

text file editing

Hi, I need some help in text manipulation. I have an input file like this: 7629 "WPCW 19 - CW/AM1, WPCB 40 - FAMN/CORNER, WPCB-DT1 50 - FAMN/CORNER, " W35AW - Various Shopping Pgms W41CF - TBN W47CV - TBN WLLS-LP 49 - AM1 WATCH WPXI 11 N & WPIX 11 CW 1234 "WPCW 19 - CW/AM1,... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: injeti
26 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Live/real-time text-file updates in terminal

I want to have a terminal open and have something like a "repeating cat" command running in it for a certain text file (in particular /var/log/system.log). So my terminal will scan or cat the text file every so often or whenever the text file system.log gets written to by the system, it will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
1 Replies

3. Programming

Editing a specific liine of text file - C++

Is there any way to erase all the contents of a specific line of a text file and then write something on it? e.g. test.txt.old: qwert asdfg zxcbv=0 test.txt.new qwerty asdfg hello=0 is this possible with C++ ?:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hakermania
1 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Editing System Preference in Terminal

Mac OS X 10.6: Leopard - I'm trying to create a script that will run on its own that can edit system preferences. I've done some digging, and found that a lot of system preference options are controlled by .plist files in ~/library/preferences, /library/preferences, and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jalaska13
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - help needed for creating a script to generate xml file from text file

Dear Members, I have a table in Oracle DB and one of its column name is INFO which has data in text format which we need to fetch in a script and create an xml file of a new table from the input. The contents of a single cell of INFO column is like: Area:app - aam Clean Up Criteria:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

editing line in text file adding number to value in file

I have a text file that has data like: Data "12345#22" Fred ID 12345 Age 45 Wilma Dino Data "123#22" Tarzan ID 123 Age 33 Jane I need to figure out a way of adding 1,000,000 to the specific lines (always same format) in the file, so it becomes: Data "1012345#22" Fred ID... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert vi editing to text editing

Dear Guru's I'm using Putty and want to edit a file. I know we generally use vi editor to do it. As I'm not good in using vi editor, I want to convert the vi into something like text pad. Is there any option in Putty to do the same ? Thanks for your response. Srini (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thummi9090
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Terminal Output Exactly how it Appears in the Terminal to a New Text File

Hello All, I have a text file containing output from a command that contains lots of escape/control characters that when viewed using vi or view, looks like jibberish. But when viewed using the cat command the output is formatted properly. Is there any way to take the output from the cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Editing long text file

Good morning all, I have a machine running IRIX and I need to edit a text file on the terminal that is literally thousands of lines. Does anyone know the most efficient way to edit portions of files like these? Obviously simply using the vi command isn't going to work since I get a too many lines... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: James C
1 Replies
tgatoppm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       tgatoppm(1)

NAME
tgatoppm - convert TrueVision Targa file into a portable pixmap SYNOPSIS
tgatoppm [--alphaout={alpha-filename,-}] [--headerdump] tga-filename DESCRIPTION
Reads a TrueVision Targa file as input. Produces a portable pixmap as output. OPTIONS
--alphaout=alpha-filename tgatoppm creates a PGM (portable graymap) file containing the alpha channel values in the input image. If the input image doesn't contain an alpha channel, the alpha-filename file contains all zero (transparent) alpha values. If you don't specify --alphaout, tgatoppm does not generate an alpha file, and if the input image has an alpha channel, tgatoppm simply discards it. If you specify - as the filename, tgatoppm writes the alpha output to Standard Output and discards the image. See pnmcomp(1) for one way to use the alpha output file. --headerdump Causes the header information to be dumped to stderr. All options can be abbreviated to their shortest unique prefix. Should really be in PNM, not PPM. SEE ALSO
ppmtotga(1), pnmcomp(1), ppm(5) AUTHOR
Partially based on tga2rast, version 1.0, by Ian J. MacPhedran. Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 02 April 2000 tgatoppm(1)