Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Parsing OSX UNIX command results which print in multiple lines Post 302961619 by hungryd on Tuesday 1st of December 2015 05:31:21 PM
Old 12-01-2015
Appreciate the follow up. The issue now is a bit more devious: setting an array with these values doesn't know how to break up the resulting text! Perhaps another problem for another thread, perhaps not.

Here's the original code:
Code:
networksetup -listallnetworkservices | awk 'NR>1'
Wi-Fi
Display Ethernet
Bluetooth DUN
Thunderbolt Ethernet
Display FireWire
Bluetooth PAN
Thunderbolt Bridge

Now, if I set a variable and then print those results to that variable, I get a series of words that aren't parsed by LINE. First, the variable:
Code:
services=`networksetup -listallnetworkservices | awk 'NR>1'`

Then showing the results:
Code:
echo $services
Wi-Fi Display Ethernet Bluetooth DUN Thunderbolt Ethernet Display FireWire Bluetooth PAN Thunderbolt Bridge

All those spaces essentially defeat the initial reason I needed this list in the first place! I need individual entries for each line, added into the array: Wi-Fi, Display Ethernet, Bluetooth DUN, Thunderbolt Ethernet, etc.

Meh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

(sed) parsing insert statement column that crosses multiple lines

I have a file with a set of insert statements some of which have a single column value that crosses multiple lines causing the statement to fail in sql*plue. Can someone help me with a sed script to replace the new lines with chr(10)? here is an example: insert into mytable(id, field1, field2)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjordan
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print multiple lines using the grep command.

Hi All, Please find my piece of code below. I am trying to grep the word SUCCESS from $LOGFILE and storing in the grepvar variable. And i am placing that variable in a file. Now if i open the file, i can see the four lines but not in seperate four line s but in a paragraph. If am mailing that log... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: intiraju
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfile parsing with variable, multiple criterias among multiple lines

Hi all I've been working on a bash script parsing through debug/trace files and extracting all lines that relate to some search string. So far, it works pretty well. However, I am challenged by one requirement that is still open. What I want to do: 1) parse through a file and identify all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reminder
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print first few lines, then apply regex on a specific column to print results.

abc.dat tty cpu tin tout us sy wt id 0 0 7 3 19 71 extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0 133.2 0.0 682.9 0.0 1.0 0.0 7.2 0 79 c1t0d0 0.2 180.4 0.1 5471.2 3.0 2.8 16.4 15.6 15 52 aaaaaa1-xx I want to skip first 5 line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple command execution inside awk command during xml parsing

below is the output xml string from some other command and i will be parsing it using awk cat /tmp/alerts.xml <Alert id="10102" name="APP-DS-ds_ha-140018-componentFailure-S" alertDefinitionId="13982" resourceId="11427" ctime="1359453507621" fixed="false" reason="If Event/Log Level(ANY) and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print results from two lines using awk?

I need to print a specific string from an html file that's always occurring between two other known strings. Example: from the text below, I would like to print the bolded part: <this is a lot of text before the string I want to print> fullpath: abc/def/ghi/example.xlf -cfver. <sample text... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: danegon
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the first line for each multiple lines

Hi all, i need help to extract each first line from multiple lines occurrences based on different patterns (name) starting from the fourth lines like follows:- // header 1 header 2 header 3 // no acc name score rank //... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print multiple lines on one line

Hi All, I have a file looks like: rst:singh:99.0.20-X86 2 rst:ACSI_SIN_SERVICES rst:singh:99.0.20-X86 2 rst:ACSI_BISI want to wrap 3rd col in one line and add variable value at start and ending of line and I wrote command: cat file | awk '{print $3}' | xargs > command.txt sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshtomar82
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print different multiple lines after two patterns?

Hello, I need to print some lines as explained below, TXT example 1111 2222 3333 4444 5555 6666 7777 8888 6666 9999 1111 2222 3333 4444 5555 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String parsing help across multiple UNIX platforms

Need to parse XML like strings from a file. Using `egrep -A 1 "Panel Temp" "$2" | tail -2` I get the following string: <parameter name="Panel Temp" unit="0.1 C"> <value size="1" starttime="06-08-2017 09:36:56.968">95</value> I want to output: {"Panel Temp" 9.5 C} The 9.5 C is the value... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: harleyvrodred
16 Replies
BTSOCKSTAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					     BTSOCKSTAT(1)

NAME
btsockstat -- show Bluetooth sockets information SYNOPSIS
btsockstat [-nrh] [-M core] [-p protocol] DESCRIPTION
The btsockstat utility symbolically displays the contents of various Bluetooth sockets related data structures. There are few output for- mats, depending on the options for the information presented. The btsockstat utility will print results to the standard output and error messages to the standard error. The options are as follows: -h Display usage message and exit. -M core Extract values associated with the name list from the specified core instead of the default /dev/kmem. -n Show Bluetooth addresses as numbers. Normally, btsockstat attempts to resolve Bluetooth addresses, and display them symbolically. -p protocol Display a list of active sockets (protocol control blocks) for each specified protocol. Supported protocols are: hci_raw, l2cap_raw, l2cap, rfcomm and rfcomm_s. -r Display a list of active routing entries (if any) for specified protocol. EXIT STATUS
The btsockstat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
ng_btsocket(4) AUTHORS
Maksim Yevmenkin <m_evmenkin@yahoo.com> BUGS
Most likely. Please report if found. BSD
October 12, 2003 BSD