Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting All possible combinations problem Post 302961598 by RudiC on Tuesday 1st of December 2015 02:21:48 PM
Old 12-01-2015
Please be aware that 2^5 = 32, not 25 (= 5^2).
If your input has all bits of interest set, and the all zero variant is to be excluded, you'll have 2^n - 2 patterns to work on.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping number combinations

Having problem in using the grep command to select all possible combinations a number in a file. Example: 123, I would like to grep the numbers 123,132,213,231,312 and 321. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wperry
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Combinations

Hello All, i have two files, one of the format A 123 B 124 C 234 D 345 And the other A 678 B 789 C 689 D 567 I would like to combine them into one file with three columns: A 123 678 B 124 789 C 234 689 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

All Shortcut key combinations

Hi, I am using the Korn-Shell (ksh) and would like to know all the shortcut keys. For example: Shift + Insert etc. Thank you very much. Take care (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: --crimson--
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating Combinations

Hi, I need to generate all combinations upto n-1 level, if the input file looks like say, A B C D . . .... I need to generate all combinations such that first value remains constant and the remaning are combined with all possible ways. Output A AB AC AD ABC (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zorg4u
1 Replies

5. Programming

series of combinations

HI I have a series(sorted), which i require to create combinations. I am not getting the good code for doing this. My series should generate the following combinations... Please help me in getting this in C++. Thanks for your help. A: A A B: A B A B A B C: A ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rameshmelam
1 Replies

6. Linux

Help with color combinations

Hi Team when i do, echo on my host box it returns (see below) # echo $PS1 \$ I need to set a color comination of my own for \u means for user : red for \h means for hostname: blue for \W means present working directory: pink for $ means for wht prompt : yellow Do i need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whizkidash
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combinations / Permutations

Hello Scrutinizer / Group , The shell script of awk that Scrutinizer made calculate all possible permutations in this case 3125 (5 numbers) but i want to have only the 126 possible combination. For now it does not matter the specific order of the combination numbers. I would appreciate it you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csierra
1 Replies

8. Programming

Words combinations without repetition

How can I get all combinations of 5 words from 10 words. For example I have 3 words and I want to get all combinations of 2 words. "A", "B", "C" it would like AB, BC, AC. Maybe you know some usefull code or example. Thanx a lot. P.S. Sorry if I'm not right enough cause I don't know English... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: romeo5577
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

All possible combinations

Hi, I have an input file like this a b c d I want to print all possible combinations between these records in the following way aVSb aVSc aVSd bVSc bVSd cVSd VS indicates versus. All thoughts are appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk permutations and combinations

hello, I'm reading this thread, in which there is this code :awk ' function comb(v,i) { for(i in A) { delete A; if(length(A)) comb((v?v"+":x)i) else print v"+"i A; } } { A } END { comb(); } ' infilebut I can't understand where does v come... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daPeach
5 Replies
case(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   case(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
case - Evaluate one of several scripts, depending on a given value SYNOPSIS
case string ?in? patList body ?patList body ...? case string ?in? {patList body ?patList body ...?} _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Note: the case command is obsolete and is supported only for backward compatibility. At some point in the future it may be removed entirely. You should use the switch command instead. The case command matches string against each of the patList arguments in order. Each patList argument is a list of one or more patterns. If any of these patterns matches string then case evaluates the following body argument by passing it recursively to the Tcl interpreter and returns the result of that evaluation. Each patList argument consists of a single pattern or list of patterns. Each pattern may con- tain any of the wild-cards described under string match. If a patList argument is default, the corresponding body will be evaluated if no patList matches string. If no patList argument matches string and no default is given, then the case command returns an empty string. Two syntaxes are provided for the patList and body arguments. The first uses a separate argument for each of the patterns and commands; this form is convenient if substitutions are desired on some of the patterns or commands. The second form places all of the patterns and commands together into a single argument; the argument must have proper list structure, with the elements of the list being the patterns and commands. The second form makes it easy to construct multi-line case commands, since the braces around the whole list make it unneces- sary to include a backslash at the end of each line. Since the patList arguments are in braces in the second form, no command or variable substitutions are performed on them; this makes the behavior of the second form different than the first form in some cases. SEE ALSO
switch(n) KEYWORDS
case, match, regular expression Tcl 7.0 case(n)