Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users UTF-8,16,32 character lengths using awk Post 302961478 by tostay2003 on Monday 30th of November 2015 09:34:11 AM
Old 11-30-2015
UTF-8,16,32 character lengths using awk

Hi All,

I am trying to obtain count of characters using awk, but "length" function returns a value of 1 for 2-byte or 3-byte characters as well unlike wc -c command.

I have tried to use the below commands within awk function, but it does not seem to work
Code:
{
cmd="wc -c "stringtocheck
( cmd ) | getline Count
print Count
}

Can you please give me a solution. I have tried other options such as echo -e, print, but none seems to work.

Thanks & Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep to find strings of certain lengths?

I am trying to use grep to find strings of certain lengths that all start with the same letter. Is this possible?:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crabtruck
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert UTF-8 encoded hex value to a character

Hi, I have a non-ascii character (Ŵ), which can be represented in UTF-8 encoding as equivalent hex value (\xC5B4). Is there a function in unix to convert this hex value back to display the charcter ? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumirmehta
10 Replies

3. Solaris

limit on Solaris username lengths?

Hi this question applies to Solaris 8,9,10 and opensolaris as in my environment it applies to all of these Is there a limit on the size of the username (in /etc/passwd) or indeed does there come a point where, like the 8 character limitation of passwords, the system receives the input but... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read lines with different lengths in while loop

Hi there ! I need to treat files with variable line length, and process the tab-delimited words of each line. The tools I know are some basic bash scripting and sed ... I haven't got to python or perl yet. So my file looks like this obj1 0.01953 0.34576 0.04418 0.01249 obj2 0.78140... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jossojjos
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging data from 2 files of different lengths?

Hi all, Sorry if someone has answered something like this already, but I have a problem. I am not brilliant with "awk" but think it should be the command to use to get what I am after. I have 2 files: job-file (several hundred lines like): 1018003,LONG MU WAN,1113S 1018004,LONG MU... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgb2301
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to modify character to UTF-8 in shell script?

I have a shell script running to load some data from a text file to database. Text file contains some non-ASCII characters like ü. How can i convert these characters to UTF-8 codes before loading to DB. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with UTF-8 BOM character in text file

Sometimes we recieve some excel files containing French/Japanese characters over the mail, and these files are manually transferred to the server by using SFTP (security is not a huge concern here). The data is changed to text format before transferring it using Notepad. Problem is: When saving... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two files with different lengths

Hi there, I have two very long files like: file1: two fields 1 123 1 125 1 234 2 123 2 234 2 300 2 312 3 10 3 215 4 56 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ClaraW
11 Replies

9. Linux

Help to Convert file from UNIX UTF-8 to Windows UTF-16

Hi, I have tried to convert a UTF-8 file to windows UTF-16 format file as below from unix machine unix2dos < testing.txt | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16 > out.txt and i am getting some chinese characters as below which l opened the converted file on windows machine. LANG=en_US.UTF-8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste files of varying lengths

I have three files of varying lengths and different number of columns. How can I paste all three with all columns aligned? File1 ---- 123 File2 ---- 234 345 678 File3 ---- 456 789 Output should look like: 123 234 456 345 789 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Un1xNewb1e
6 Replies
Tcl_UtfToUpper(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_UtfToUpper(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_UniCharToUpper, Tcl_UniCharToLower, Tcl_UniCharToTitle, Tcl_UtfToUpper, Tcl_UtfToLower, Tcl_UtfToTitle - routines for manipulating the case of Unicode characters and UTF-8 strings SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_UniChar Tcl_UniCharToUpper(ch) Tcl_UniChar Tcl_UniCharToLower(ch) Tcl_UniChar Tcl_UniCharToTitle(ch) int Tcl_UtfToUpper(str) int Tcl_UtfToLower(str) int Tcl_UtfToTitle(str) ARGUMENTS
int ch (in) The Tcl_UniChar to be converted. char *str (in/out) Pointer to UTF-8 string to be converted in place. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The first three routines convert the case of individual Unicode characters: If ch represents a lower-case character, Tcl_UniCharToUpper returns the corresponding upper-case character. If no upper-case character is defined, it returns the character unchanged. If ch represents an upper-case character, Tcl_UniCharToLower returns the corresponding lower-case character. If no lower-case character is defined, it returns the character unchanged. If ch represents a lower-case character, Tcl_UniCharToTitle returns the corresponding title-case character. If no title-case character is defined, it returns the corresponding upper-case character. If no upper-case character is defined, it returns the character unchanged. Title-case is defined for a small number of characters that have a different appearance when they are at the beginning of a capitalized word. The next three routines convert the case of UTF-8 strings in place in memory: Tcl_UtfToUpper changes every UTF-8 character in str to upper-case. Because changing the case of a character may change its size, the byte offset of each character in the resulting string may differ from its original location. Tcl_UtfToUpper writes a null byte at the end of the converted string. Tcl_UtfToUpper returns the new length of the string in bytes. This new length is guaranteed to be no longer than the original string length. Tcl_UtfToLower is the same as Tcl_UtfToUpper except it turns each character in the string into its lower-case equivalent. Tcl_UtfToTitle is the same as Tcl_UtfToUpper except it turns the first character in the string into its title-case equivalent and all fol- lowing characters into their lower-case equivalents. BUGS
At this time, the case conversions are only defined for the ISO8859-1 characters. Unicode characters above 0x00ff are not modified by these routines. KEYWORDS
utf, unicode, toupper, tolower, totitle, case Tcl 8.1 Tcl_UtfToUpper(3)