Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GNU Screen key bindings....
Operating Systems Linux GNU Screen key bindings.... Post 302961257 by akbar on Wednesday 25th of November 2015 09:15:11 PM
Old 11-25-2015
GNU Screen key bindings....

After I do CTRL-" to show all of my screen sessions, I typically use the up and down arrows to navigate up and down.

Suddenly this has changed, and instead only "j" and "k" seem to work for up and down.

This has changed in the middle of my screen session. First one changed, and then the other changed, a few days apart.

What has happened, and how can I restore my up-down cursor keys?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

key bindings

I'm using AIX 5.2 with ksh, I think it's ksh88 by default, and not ksh93. I would like to enable my arrow keys to ressamble bash behaviour. I don't know to what sequence of characters they're bound now. They do something but it's rather useless behaviour, meaning, unexpected and not very... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rein
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNU Screen: Send to Multiple Screens at Once?

There is a feature that I used in KDE's Konsole that I really miss when I'm on a non-GUI server. The ability to "broadcast" what I type to all open windows. That led me to wonder if this could be done with GNU screen (since it can do a whole lot of other cool stuff)? Basically, it would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Compiling GNU 'screen' on HP-UX 11i

I finally gave up and installed the prepackaged version of 'screen', but I really want to get a better understanding of why my compilation of 'screen' failed on HP-UX 11i using GNU gcc (also from a prepackaged version). Whenever I would try to run './configure' to prep for building screen, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNU screen

Hello, One of the things I like about screen is that it has a scrollback buffer, which if you go into the copy mode, will let you go back for a specified number of line. Is there a way to extend the number of scrollback lines in screen? I've looked thoroughly online and I could not find a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neked
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

screen blinks when escape key is pressed

hi folks, i am using sun solaris, when i press escape key in putty/netterm screen will blink for a second, plese let me know where this setting is done by my admin, what i feel is my admin must have set some control key for this so that screen will refresh each time i press escape key. please let... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheer157
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with GNU screen: Backtick and Caption.

I'm trying to get GNU screen to show the output of "uptime" for the host being accessed in the current window, but unfortunately, no matter what window I go in, it shows the uptime for the host I originally launched screen in ("adminhost"). Does anyone know how to get this to update from the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris, vi (not vim), key bindings

hi, i am facing a problem that (i think) many people had before. under linux i use vim and therefor i am used to be able to use the cursor, delete and backspace keys in edit mode. that's not the case in the classic vi, e.g. under solaris. when hitting these keys, uninteded char sequences are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex.blackbit
1 Replies

8. HP-UX

GNU screen on HP-UX 11.23

I compiled GNU screen on HP-UX 11.23 and following the compile, I get the following error when I try to run screen Cannot find terminfo entry for 'vt100' By default the TERMINFO is not set, I found a reference that setting it might help. I tried the following but I still receive the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNU screen: shortcut to go to tab 10,11 etc

Using GNU-Screen for a long time. C-a 1 2 n p to navigate to other tabs. This works till 9. I often have 10, 11 etc. Is there any way to go to them quickly ? Currently, i have to do C-a 9, C-a n which is quite a pain. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sentinel
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

GNU-Screen Stuff problems

OPTIONS="java -Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -jar craftbukkit.jar" PROCESS=server01 screen -dmS $PROCESS $OPTIONS nogui # Starting the application screen -x $PROCESS -X stuff `printf "stop\r"` # Closing the application screen -x $PROCESS # Attaching to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zanax
3 Replies
curs_refresh(3X)														  curs_refresh(3X)

NAME
doupdate, redrawwin, refresh, wnoutrefresh, wredrawln, wrefresh - refresh curses windows and lines SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int refresh(void); int wrefresh(WINDOW *win); int wnoutrefresh(WINDOW *win); int doupdate(void); int redrawwin(WINDOW *win); int wredrawln(WINDOW *win, int beg_line, int num_lines); DESCRIPTION
The refresh and wrefresh routines (or wnoutrefresh and doupdate) must be called to get actual output to the terminal, as other routines merely manipulate data structures. The routine wrefresh copies the named window to the physical terminal screen, taking into account what is already there to do optimizations. The refresh routine is the same, using stdscr as the default window. Unless leaveok has been enabled, the physical cursor of the terminal is left at the location of the cursor for that window. The wnoutrefresh and doupdate routines allow multiple updates with more efficiency than wrefresh alone. In addition to all the window structures, curses keeps two data structures representing the terminal screen: a physical screen, describing what is actually on the screen, and a virtual screen, describing what the programmer wants to have on the screen. The routine wrefresh works by first calling wnoutrefresh, which copies the named window to the virtual screen, and then calling doupdate, which compares the virtual screen to the physical screen and does the actual update. If the programmer wishes to output several windows at once, a series of calls to wrefresh results in alternating calls to wnoutrefresh and doupdate, causing several bursts of output to the screen. By first calling wnoutrefresh for each window, it is then possible to call doupdate once, resulting in only one burst of output, with fewer total characters transmitted and less CPU time used. If the win argument to wrefresh is the global variable curscr, the screen is immediately cleared and repainted from scratch. The phrase "copies the named window to the virtual screen" above is ambiguous. What actually happens is that all touched (changed) lines in the window are copied to the virtual screen. This affects programs that use overlapping windows; it means that if two windows overlap, you can refresh them in either order and the overlap region will be modified only when it is explicitly changed. (But see the section on PORTABILITY below for a warning about exploiting this behavior.) The wredrawln routine indicates to curses that some screen lines are corrupted and should be thrown away before anything is written over them. It touches the indicated lines (marking them changed). The routine redrawwin() touches the entire window. RETURN VALUE
Routines that return an integer return ERR upon failure, and OK (SVr4 only specifies "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful completion. NOTES
Note that refresh and redrawwin may be macros. PORTABILITY
The XSI Curses standard, Issue 4 describes these functions. Whether wnoutrefresh() copies to the virtual screen the entire contents of a window or just its changed portions has never been well-docu- mented in historic curses versions (including SVr4). It might be unwise to rely on either behavior in programs that might have to be linked with other curses implementations. Instead, you can do an explicit touchwin() before the wnoutrefresh() call to guarantee an entire-contents copy anywhere. SEE ALSO
curses(3X), curs_outopts(3X) curs_refresh(3X)