Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ping test using python
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Ping test using python Post 302961177 by cjcox on Tuesday 24th of November 2015 10:50:29 PM
Old 11-24-2015
sleep will will make things more interruptible. Even a sleep 1. So, it simply means you could lose one second at most vs not having it, and you can interrupt it (if that's important to you). Makes it more multiprocess friendly.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help: infinant loop script - host ping test

need to check on some hosts and send an email if there status changes I wanna put together a script in bash that will allow me to check the up/down state of a single host via ping i want it to run in a continuous loop so I can just fire the script and forget about it(dont want cron to drive... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeekblack
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

4. Programming

python little ping script

Hi everyone, I'm a newby in the python languages, and I try to make some parallels to shell. My question is how ca I give the information to python that the line 3 "r=...." the string "line" is a variable. import os, re line = "localhost" r = "".join(os.popen("ping line -c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: research3
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

python test datetime 30 minutes ago

Hello, RHEL5.5 PYTHON=2.4.3 I have 2 python variables using the datetime module. Here is how I call them: print "Current Time: %s" % now print "LastDownloadTime: %s" % LastDownloadTime Here is an example of an issue. Current Time: 2012-01-05 14:06:09.749240... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

8. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies

9. Programming

Create a C source and compile inside Python 1.4.0 to 3.7.0 in Python for ALL? platforms...

Hi all... As you know I like making code backwards compatible for as many platforms as possible. This Python script was in fact dedicated for the AMIGA A1200 using Pythons 1.4.0, 1.5.2, 1.6.0, 2.0.1, and 2.4.6 as that is all we have for varying levels of upgrades from a HDD and 4MB FastRam... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
1 Replies
sleep(9r)																 sleep(9r)

NAME
sleep - General: Puts a calling process to sleep SYNOPSIS
void sleep( caddr_t *channel, long pri ); ARGUMENTS
Specifies a unique address associated with the calling kernel thread to be put to sleep. Specifies whether the sleep request is interrupt- ible. Setting this argument to the PCATCH flag causes the process to sleep in an interruptible state (that is, the kernel thread can take asynchronous signals). Not setting the PCATCH flag causes the process to sleep in an uninterruptible state (that is, the kernel thread can- not take asynchronous signals). DESCRIPTION
The sleep routine puts a calling process to sleep on the address specified by the channel argument. Some common addresses are the lbolt argument, a buf structure, and a proc structure. This address should be unique to prevent unexpected wake/sleep cycles, which can occur if different processes are sleeping on the same address accidentally. If you set the PCATCH flag in the pri argument, the sleep routine puts signals on the queue and does not wake up the sleeping process. The sleep and wakeup routines block and then wake up a process. Generally, device drivers call these routines to wait for the transfer to complete an interrupt from the device. That is, the write routine of the device driver sleeps on the address of a known location, and the device's Interrupt Service Interface (ISI) wakes the process when the device interrupts. It is the responsibility of the wakened process to check if the condition for which it was sleeping has been removed. NOTES
The operating system provides two ways to put a process to sleep: interruptible and uninterruptible. The sleep routine performs an uninter- ruptible sleep operation if you do not set the PCATCH flag and an interruptible sleep operation if you set the PCATCH flag. This means that device drivers cannot call sleep at interrupt context because at interrupt context there is no calling process to be put to sleep. Thus, a device driver's Interrupt Service Interface (ISI) and those routines called from within the ISI must not call the sleep routine. On this operating system, you cannot use pri to set the scheduling priority of the calling process. RETURN VALUES
None FILES
SEE ALSO
Routines: wakeup(9r) sleep(9r)