Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is a page from Linux point of view ? Post 302961005 by MadeInGermany on Monday 23rd of November 2015 04:26:30 AM
Old 11-23-2015
The doc should say "A typical block size on a standard x86 computer is 4KB ". This is because the MMU hardware supports 4k.
(Example Sparc: the Ultra-III hardware supports 8k, 64k, 512k, 4m pages)
A new page is always in RAM. If RAM becomes too full, old pages are moved to swap.
The virtual memory is RAM + swap (provided that enough pages are swap-able).
The more swap is in use, the more likely the system becomes slow. Therefore the OS tries to avoid swap. (Some people configure no swap to have the system always fast. But the less virtual memory means it runs sooner (and faster!) out of memory and becomes stuck.)
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

view page command?

Hi All, When I run a command on any shell, many times the output is longer than the screen can hold, so I only can see parts of the output. Is there a command that will show me page by page the results of each command? Thanks, Jared (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaredsNew
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View Files In Linux/Windows

I have a bunch of text files that currently reside on a red hat linux machine. I'd like to zip them up and copy them to a windows machine. I'm not sure about how to do this though since I believe zipping files up creates a totally different format that will be unreadable on windows. Is there any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doublek321
3 Replies

3. Programming

how to view loaded shared libraries by running processes in linux

anybody knows how to view loaded shared libraries by running processes in linux enviornment? any command or tool ? thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: princelinux
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

view remote linux desktop on my windows machine

Hi, is there anyway i can view a remote linux desktop on my windows desktop? i am aware that X11 can see 'certain screens'. For eg if i type 'xclock &' and i have a client running on my windows, i can see the clock. If i am interested to see the entire desktop of my linux, how can i do it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

floating point error in linux + C

Here's a program and its pretty simple .It requires file handling and some calculations but on running it I am not getting the required result.It seems that the code outside the file read's outer while loop is not executing e.g the print statement is not being printed.Plz Help! #include<stdio.h>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: headrush
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

View an html page inside zenity

Hi! :) Inside a bash script, I have an html page: "example.html" I need: - read "example.html. - print and view the result for example with dillo (or another light browser) inside zenity with clickable images and links. Some stuff like: zenity --html-info --filename=example.html Is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspire
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Increase mount point size after linux installation !

Dear Friends , I have to install Redhat Ent Linux 5.0 (RHEL 5) in my machine . My HDD space is total 40 GB . During installation , I give three partitions , '/' = 30GB, 'swap'=2GB, 'home' =1GB. Now my HDD remaining space is 7 GB . After installation , I need to increase the home... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using PHP to view syslog in private web page

I am trying to extract data from syslog and view it on a web page. I'm using a php script. This line works from command line tail -n 11 /var/log/_gateway-syslog.log | grep -a iWiSP-Out | awk '{print $8, $9,$10,$11" ",$19," " $15, $16,$17," " $18,$21, $22}' when I put it into... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ae4ml
4 Replies
DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)

NAME
dphys-swapfile - set up, mount/unmount, and delete an swap file SYNOPSIS
dphys-swapfile setup|swapon|swapoff|uninstall DESCRIPTION
dphys-swapfile computes the size for an optimal swap file (and resizes an existing swap file if necessary), mounts an swap file, unmounts it, and and delete it if not wanted any more. OPTIONS
There is only one parameter, an command, which can be either of these: setup Tells dphys-swapfile to compute the optimal swap file size and (re-)generate an fitting swap file. Default it 2 times RAM size. This can be called at boot time, so the file allways stays the right size for current RAM, or run by hand whenever RAM size has changed. swapon and swapoff These run the swapon and swapoff commands on the swapfile. Note that direct swapon/off from /etc/fstab is not possible, as that is (at least on Debian) done in the same script that mounts /var (which is where the swap file most likely resides). And we need to do our setup between those actions. So pass up /etc/fstab, and do our own swapon/off. uninstall Gets rid of an unwanted swap file, reclaiming the disk space. CONFIG
The config file /etc/dphys-swapfile allows the user to set up the working environment for dphys-swapfile. This config file is a sh script fragment full of assignments, which is sourced. Standard sh syntax rules apply. Assignments are: CONF_SWAPFILE Set where the swap file should be placed. Defaults to /var/swap. It is unlikely that you will need to change this, unless you have very strange partitioning, and then you will most likely be using an swap partition anyway. CONF_SWAPSIZE Force file size to this. Default is 2*RAM size. This is unlikely to be needed, unless in strange diskspace situations. Note that swap enabled and smaller than RAM causes kernal-internal VM trouble on random systems. CONF_SWAPFACTOR Set the relation between RAM and swap size. Must be an integer. Defaults to 2 which means swap size = 2 * RAM size CONF_MAXSWAP Set maximum size of the swap file in MBytes. Defaults to 2048 which was the former kernel limit for the swapfile size and is now a limit to prevent unusual big swap files on systems with a lot of RAM. FILES
/etc/dphys-swapfile user config $CONF_SWAPFILE the swap file, target of the whole action (defaults to /var/swap) EXAMPLES
dphys-swapfile is usually run at system startup and shutdown from an /etc/init.d (or /etc/rc.d) script, such as this (minimal) one: #!/bin/sh # /etc/init.d/dphys-swapfile - automatically set up an swapfile # author franklin, last modification 2004.06.04 # This script is copyright ETH Zuerich Physics Departement, # use under either modified/non-advertising BSD or GPL license case "$1" in start) /sbin/dphys-swapfile setup /sbin/dphys-swapfile swapon ;; stop) /sbin/dphys-swapfile swapoff ;; esac exit 0 If an sysadmin wants to have his swapfile in annother place, say /var/run/swap, he can use: In /etc/dphys-swapfile: CONF_SWAPFILE=/var/run/swap AUTHOR
franklin@phys.ethz.ch, http://www.phys.ethz.ch/~franklin/ D-PHYS Swapfile Tools 2006.09.15 DPHYS-SWAPFILE(8)