Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is a page from Linux point of view ? Post 302960938 by wisecracker on Sunday 22nd of November 2015 10:19:33 AM
Old 11-22-2015
As an addendum to bakunin's post as he has pointed to the history of _memory_management_ of the Intel 8088 and above it might be of interest to have a browse of, note not just swap files but '*.TMP' and '*.OVL' files too:-

(Intel Architecture.)
Bottom 64KB usage, where interrupt vectors reside inside the bottom 1024 bytes.
ROM at the top 64KB of 1MB address space, (shadowed by RAM).
Conventional Memory.
HMA, High Memory Area.
UMB, Upper Memory Blocks.
EMS, Expanded Memory Specification. LIM 4.x - Lotus, Intel, Microsoft Specifiaction 4.x
XMS, Extended Memory Specification.
DOS Extenders.
The '.OVL' file extension.
The use of '.TMP' files.

These are all related...

And as a subdivision:-
VCPI, Virtual Control Program Interface.
DPMI, Dos Protected Mode Interface - Superceded VCPI.
Unreal Mode of running.

There is much more and all this is of historic interest but shows how we have gotten to where we are now, especially in the Intel architecture arena...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

view page command?

Hi All, When I run a command on any shell, many times the output is longer than the screen can hold, so I only can see parts of the output. Is there a command that will show me page by page the results of each command? Thanks, Jared (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaredsNew
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View Files In Linux/Windows

I have a bunch of text files that currently reside on a red hat linux machine. I'd like to zip them up and copy them to a windows machine. I'm not sure about how to do this though since I believe zipping files up creates a totally different format that will be unreadable on windows. Is there any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doublek321
3 Replies

3. Programming

how to view loaded shared libraries by running processes in linux

anybody knows how to view loaded shared libraries by running processes in linux enviornment? any command or tool ? thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: princelinux
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

view remote linux desktop on my windows machine

Hi, is there anyway i can view a remote linux desktop on my windows desktop? i am aware that X11 can see 'certain screens'. For eg if i type 'xclock &' and i have a client running on my windows, i can see the clock. If i am interested to see the entire desktop of my linux, how can i do it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

floating point error in linux + C

Here's a program and its pretty simple .It requires file handling and some calculations but on running it I am not getting the required result.It seems that the code outside the file read's outer while loop is not executing e.g the print statement is not being printed.Plz Help! #include<stdio.h>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: headrush
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

View an html page inside zenity

Hi! :) Inside a bash script, I have an html page: "example.html" I need: - read "example.html. - print and view the result for example with dillo (or another light browser) inside zenity with clickable images and links. Some stuff like: zenity --html-info --filename=example.html Is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspire
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Increase mount point size after linux installation !

Dear Friends , I have to install Redhat Ent Linux 5.0 (RHEL 5) in my machine . My HDD space is total 40 GB . During installation , I give three partitions , '/' = 30GB, 'swap'=2GB, 'home' =1GB. Now my HDD remaining space is 7 GB . After installation , I need to increase the home... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using PHP to view syslog in private web page

I am trying to extract data from syslog and view it on a web page. I'm using a php script. This line works from command line tail -n 11 /var/log/_gateway-syslog.log | grep -a iWiSP-Out | awk '{print $8, $9,$10,$11" ",$19," " $15, $16,$17," " $18,$21, $22}' when I put it into... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ae4ml
4 Replies
IIR(4)                                                     BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                                                     IIR(4)

NAME
iir -- Intel Integrated RAID controller and ICP Vortex driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device pci device scbus device iir Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): iir_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The iir driver claims to interface with the Intel integrated RAID controller cards, and all versions of the ICP Vortex controllers (including FC). HARDWARE
Controllers supported by the iir driver include: o Intel RAID Controller SRCMR o Intel Server RAID Controller U3-l (SRCU31a) o Intel Server RAID Controller U3-1L (SRCU31La) o Intel Server RAID Controller U3-2 (SRCU32) o All past and future releases of Intel and ICP RAID Controllers. o Intel RAID Controller SRCU21 (discontinued) o Intel RAID Controller SRCU31 (older revision, not compatible) o Intel RAID Controller SRCU31L (older revision, not compatible) The SRCU31 and SRCU31L can be updated via a firmware update available from Intel. SEE ALSO
cam(4), pass(4), xpt(4), camcontrol(8) AUTHORS
The iir driver is supported and maintained by Achim Leubner <Achim_Leubner@adaptec.com>. This manual page was written by Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org> and is based on information supplied by the driver authors and the website of Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.org>. BSD August 8, 2004 BSD