Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is a page from Linux point of view ? Post 302960883 by kraljic on Saturday 21st of November 2015 12:06:01 AM
Old 11-21-2015
What is a page from Linux point of view ?

Versions : RHEL 6.xx /OL 6.xx

I am trying to understand what a page is in Linux? The concept should be same in Unix as well, I guess

The below doc says "A page is a block of virtual memory. A typical block size on Linux operating system is 4KB "

https://github.com/angrave/SystemPro...Virtual-Memory

Is 'Page' a hard disk based memory or Physical RAM based memory or both ? Because I know that you can install Linux OS with no Swap partition at all. In such a machine a 'page' should reside entirely on Physical RAM. Right ?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

view page command?

Hi All, When I run a command on any shell, many times the output is longer than the screen can hold, so I only can see parts of the output. Is there a command that will show me page by page the results of each command? Thanks, Jared (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaredsNew
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View Files In Linux/Windows

I have a bunch of text files that currently reside on a red hat linux machine. I'd like to zip them up and copy them to a windows machine. I'm not sure about how to do this though since I believe zipping files up creates a totally different format that will be unreadable on windows. Is there any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doublek321
3 Replies

3. Programming

how to view loaded shared libraries by running processes in linux

anybody knows how to view loaded shared libraries by running processes in linux enviornment? any command or tool ? thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: princelinux
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

view remote linux desktop on my windows machine

Hi, is there anyway i can view a remote linux desktop on my windows desktop? i am aware that X11 can see 'certain screens'. For eg if i type 'xclock &' and i have a client running on my windows, i can see the clock. If i am interested to see the entire desktop of my linux, how can i do it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

floating point error in linux + C

Here's a program and its pretty simple .It requires file handling and some calculations but on running it I am not getting the required result.It seems that the code outside the file read's outer while loop is not executing e.g the print statement is not being printed.Plz Help! #include<stdio.h>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: headrush
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

View an html page inside zenity

Hi! :) Inside a bash script, I have an html page: "example.html" I need: - read "example.html. - print and view the result for example with dillo (or another light browser) inside zenity with clickable images and links. Some stuff like: zenity --html-info --filename=example.html Is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aspire
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Increase mount point size after linux installation !

Dear Friends , I have to install Redhat Ent Linux 5.0 (RHEL 5) in my machine . My HDD space is total 40 GB . During installation , I give three partitions , '/' = 30GB, 'swap'=2GB, 'home' =1GB. Now my HDD remaining space is 7 GB . After installation , I need to increase the home... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using PHP to view syslog in private web page

I am trying to extract data from syslog and view it on a web page. I'm using a php script. This line works from command line tail -n 11 /var/log/_gateway-syslog.log | grep -a iWiSP-Out | awk '{print $8, $9,$10,$11" ",$19," " $15, $16,$17," " $18,$21, $22}' when I put it into... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ae4ml
4 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)