Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DNS Response Issue
Operating Systems Linux DNS Response Issue Post 302960651 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 18th of November 2015 05:31:40 AM
Old 11-18-2015
We understand the environment now, and the problem is what?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DNS issue.

Hi, We use linux as a DNS server for our local network. ( linuxnol.nollekens.be ) We can ping this machine on all our XP clients like this: C:\>ping linuxnol Until yesterday it was on our XP clients enough to type "ping ibm250" ( our 2de unix server, an AIX ). But after a shutdown of this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: progressdll
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS issue still not looking in files

anyone ever seen this problem with /etc/nsswitch.conf forcing the system to look in files then dns but the system ignores the files and goes off check the dn servers is there any further config I've missed ??? /etc/resolve.conf name servers >>>> boring IPS /etc/nsswitch.conf is set to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kie
5 Replies

3. IP Networking

Apache mod_proxy +DNS slow response problem

My company has a private network, including a Apache web server (Linux) and some WinXP machines. The web server had been configured to use mod_proxy to connect to window update site via another company proxy server. It works for few years. Recently, some parties had setup a DNS server on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: donaldfung
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

DNS issue in Redhat 9

Hi all m newbie in linux and trying to setup my internal DNS server for local network.After messing with DNS for hours i am posting this. i have configured /etc/resolve.conf, hostname with domain name in /etc/sysconfig/network file,/etc/hosts file with local host entry and zone file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vaibhav.T
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Issue in DNS set up

:wall:I am a beginer in Linux admin. I have build new DNS setting in my system. Please find the below procedure what I followed to build DNS. but at last when I fired nslookup command, its getting error. I am using RHEL5 OS. Please help me to resolve this below issue.. Advance thanks for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradipta_pks
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

dns update issue

i have redhat service as public dns i have added new entry but when i reload the named service i got this error in log the working directory is not writable (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: leganti
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

DNS Resolution Issue

Hello, Having issue resolving DNS using the IP address. Using the server Name it resolves fine. Was wondering if there is any configuration issue. # nslookup xxxxxxxx01 Server: Primary DNS IP Address: Primary DNS IP#53 Name: xxxxxxxx01.local domain Address: x.y.z.123 # nslookup... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ikn3
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

Tweaking the DNS response

Hi All, The following is the scenario. I open the browser and request a web page. The DNS query is sent to the DNS server of my company and replies my GNU/Linux machine with a DNS response. I have "insmod"ed a kernel module that picks up the DNS response and over rides the "Addr" field of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstnsrr
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

HP-UX DNS issue

Hi All, I'm having some problems with our HP-UX environment. I'm running Oracle EBS on a HP-UX system, and whenever my primary dns server goes down some of my clients can no longer connect. Everything on my windows side continues to work, and clients can reach the internet and other services... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: agonza07
6 Replies
RESOLVER(5)							File Formats Manual						       RESOLVER(5)

NAME
resolver - resolver configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/resolv.conf DESCRIPTION
The resolver is a set of routines in the C library (resolv(3)) that provide access to the Internet Domain Name System. The resolver con- figuration file contains information that is read by the resolver routines the first time they are invoked by a process. The file is designed to be human readable and contains a list of keywords with values that provide various types of resolver information. On a normally configured system this file should not be necessary. The only name server to be queried will be on the local machine, the domain name is determined from the host name, and the domain search path is constructed from the domain name. The different configuration options are: nameserver Internet address (in dot notation) of a name server that the resolver should query. Up to MAXNS (currently 3) name servers may be listed, one per keyword. If there are multiple servers, the resolver library queries them in the order listed. If no nameserver entries are present, the default is to use the name server on the local machine. (The algorithm used is to try a name server, and if the query times out, try the next, until out of name servers, then repeat trying all the name servers until a maximum number of retries are made). domain Local domain name. Most queries for names within this domain can use short names relative to the local domain. If no domain entry is present, the domain is determined from the local host name returned by gethostname(2); the domain part is taken to be everything after the first `.'. Finally, if the host name does not contain a domain part, the root domain is assumed. search Search list for host-name lookup. The search list is normally determined from the local domain name; by default, it begins with the local domain name, then successive parent domains that have at least two components in their names. This may be changed by listing the desired domain search path following the search keyword with spaces or tabs separating the names. Most resolver queries will be attempted using each component of the search path in turn until a match is found. Note that this process may be slow and will gen- erate a lot of network traffic if the servers for the listed domains are not local, and that queries will time out if no server is available for one of the domains. The search list is currently limited to six domains with a total of 256 characters. The domain and search keywords are mutually exclusive. If more than one instance of these keywords is present, the last instance will override. The keyword and value must appear on a single line, and the keyword (e.g. nameserver) must start the line. The value follows the keyword, separated by white space. FILES
/etc/resolv.conf SEE ALSO
gethostbyname(3N), resolver(3), hostname(7), named(8) Name Server Operations Guide for BIND 4th Berkeley Distribution December 14, 1989 RESOLVER(5)