Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris /etc/default/init LANG Setting Not Working Post 302960508 by hicksd8 on Monday 16th of November 2015 12:07:38 PM
Old 11-16-2015
If you want to change the default locale system-wide then in /etc/default/init:

Code:

LANG=C
 LC_ALL=C

Also check the effect of any other LC_* variable(s) in that file.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Setting Variables not working

Hi all, I am trying to set up some variables in a shell script. The variables contain values of various paths needed to run a java module. The problem is the variables dont seem to be setting at all. here is what i am trying to do : JAR_HOME=/home/was5/bdcms/scheduledjobs/lib export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpandey
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 - init stops working

I have a really strange issue on Solaris 10 running on v490. I'm running Oracle 10g on the box. Everything runs fine and all of a sudden I get a call from a DBA. I check and none of the Oracle processes are running. They were definitely running after the system booted and nobody stopped them. I try... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting the $LANG info needed

Hello (Very New to UNIX -Solaris 10) I'm trying to set the LANG variable to C but not sure if it's getting set, need some help on this. Currently I have it set to en_GB.UTF-8 I need to set it to C for an install. but when I run set LANG=C and then run echo $LANG its still set to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deedaz
2 Replies

4. Linux

How to I change init levels after typing init 1

Dear all, I typed in init 1 on my redhat box as root and according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel): 1 Single-User Mode Does not configure network interfaces, start daemons, or allow non-root logins So now I can't connect back to it. How do I change the init back to 3?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
8 Replies

5. Debian

Iomega ix2-200 Custom Debian - Autostart script in init.d not Working

!!Hello Everyone!! I Recently purchased a Iomega iX2-200 NAS that runs a custom debian installed by Iomega (Linux Debian 5.0.2 ( 2.6.22.18 armv5tejl)) . I have SSH access. I installed Transmission since the factory installed torrents manager that Iomega uses is terrible. Transmission-daemon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stejimenez
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

init-script failing because of /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

I encountered a problem on one of our database servers. OS: CentOS 5.5 final Kernel: 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5.028stab085.2 (OpenVZ kernel) We wrote some DB-Start/Stop-scripts ("/db2/admin/scripts_dba/start_services.ksh" and ".../stop_services.ksh") to start the database instances. (Database... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies

7. AIX

Undestanding LANG setting in /etc/environment

Hi All, We had issue with a application which reports process counts in log, application used to log process counts as Integer data type (1500). One fine morning we started seeing process counts in application log as Decimal (1,500). Our UNIX admin did investigate and figured-out that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aaron Boyce
5 Replies
LOCALE.CONF(5)                                                      locale.conf                                                     LOCALE.CONF(5)

NAME
locale.conf - Configuration file for locale settings SYNOPSIS
/etc/locale.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/locale.conf file configures system-wide locale settings. It is read at early boot by systemd(1). The basic file format of locale.conf is a newline-separated list of environment-like shell-compatible variable assignments. It is possible to source the configuration from shell scripts, however, beyond mere variable assignments, no shell features are supported, allowing applications to read the file without implementing a shell compatible execution engine. Note that the kernel command line options locale.LANG=, locale.LANGUAGE=, locale.LC_CTYPE=, locale.LC_NUMERIC=, locale.LC_TIME=, locale.LC_COLLATE=, locale.LC_MONETARY=, locale.LC_MESSAGES=, locale.LC_PAPER=, locale.LC_NAME=, locale.LC_ADDRESS=, locale.LC_TELEPHONE=, locale.LC_MEASUREMENT=, locale.LC_IDENTIFICATION= may be used to override the locale settings at boot. The locale settings configured in /etc/locale.conf are system-wide and are inherited by every service or user, unless overridden or unset by individual programs or individual users. Depending on the operating system, other configuration files might be checked for locale configuration as well, however only as fallback. /etc/vconsole.conf is usually created and updated using systemd-localed.service(8). localectl(1) may be used to alter the settings in this file during runtime from the command line. Use systemd-firstboot(1) to initialize them on mounted (but not booted) system images. OPTIONS
The following locale settings may be set using /etc/locale.conf: LANG=, LANGUAGE=, LC_CTYPE=, LC_NUMERIC=, LC_TIME=, LC_COLLATE=, LC_MONETARY=, LC_MESSAGES=, LC_PAPER=, LC_NAME=, LC_ADDRESS=, LC_TELEPHONE=, LC_MEASUREMENT=, LC_IDENTIFICATION=. Note that LC_ALL may not be configured in this file. For details about the meaning and semantics of these settings, refer to locale(7). EXAMPLE
Example 1. German locale with English messages /etc/locale.conf: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8 SEE ALSO
systemd(1), locale(7), localectl(1), systemd-localed.service(8), systemd-firstboot(1) systemd 237 LOCALE.CONF(5)