Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to print using awk?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to print using awk? Post 302960405 by gvkumar25 on Sunday 15th of November 2015 04:50:06 AM
Old 11-15-2015
How to print using awk?

Hi All

I have stored my column position in a variable. This variable is derived using some logic

Code:
x='$3,$4,$5'

now I want to use that variable and want to print the data using awk

awk  -F"|"  "{print ${x} }"  sourcefile

The awk command should print 3rd,4th and 5th column of the file.I tried below command but it didn't worked.
Code:
 awk  -v row="'$x'" -F"|"  '{print row}'  sourcefile

Last edited by gvkumar25; 11-15-2015 at 05:59 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk print $2

/oracle/ID1/saparch"|awk '{print $2}' what does print $2 means? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yls177
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get awk to print a " in it's print part?

The line is simple, use " '{ print $1"]"$2"\"$3THE " NEEDS TO GO HERE$4 }' I've tried \", "\, ^" and '"" but none of it works. What am I missing? Putting in the [ between $1 and $2 works fine, I just need to do the same with a ". Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk and print help

Hello I have a log file like so 2009-01-15 17:55:06 H=host-216-153-217-114.spr.choiceone.net :30675 I=:25 F=<> rejected RCPT <feast@test.co.uk>: DNSBL listed at sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org What I am trying to do is be able to print x amount of columns after a certain part of the line say F= grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: casseyjon
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk problem: How to express the single quote(') by using awk print function

Actually I got a list of file end with *.txt I want to use the same command apply to all the *.txt Thus I try to find out the fastest way to write those same command in a script and then want to let them run automatics. For example: I got the file below: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

print through AWK

Hi friends I need one help from you . I want to print name='JACK' through . how can i make it . awk '{print "name=jack"}' it ll print name=JACK (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: imipsita.rath
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print using awk

Hi.. I have two files. contents of the files are as below. header1.dat ------------- This is a header record. header2.dat ------------- This is a header record. Date:2011-01-05 I am executing the below scripts. HEADER1=`cat header1.dat` HEADER2=`cat header2.dat` awk 'BEGIN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 46019
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk print help

In this: $ awk '{ print "var is", var }' var=TEST file1 What does the print part do? { print "var is", var } (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK print AWK command

awk '{print "awk '{sub(/pdb_00/,"pdb_"$0"_00"); print}' pdb_"$0"_00.namd > tempo"; print "mv tempo pdb_"$0"_00.namd"}' datA2.dat > copy_script2.bash This works when trying to print 'sed etc. etc' but if I switch to using AWK to print a set of AWK commands it doesn't work... e.g. this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Print New Column For Every Two Lines and Match On Multiple Column Values to print another column

Hi, My input files is like this axis1 0 1 10 axis2 0 1 5 axis1 1 2 -4 axis2 2 3 -3 axis1 3 4 5 axis2 3 4 -1 axis1 4 5 -6 axis2 4 5 1 Now, these are my following tasks 1. Print a first column for every two rows that has the same value followed by a string. 2. Match on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Print count for column in a file using awk

Hi, I have the following input in a file & need output as mentioned below(need counter of every occurance of field which is to be increased by 1). Input: 919143110065 919143110065 919143110052 918648846132 919143110012 918648873782 919143110152 919143110152 919143110152... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
2 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)