Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vnc xstartup File
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu vnc xstartup File Post 302960360 by silencer230 on Saturday 14th of November 2015 09:20:21 AM
Old 11-14-2015
vnc xstartup File

Hello everyone I'm new to linux scripting, but I do have experience with Java programming and batch file scripting in Windows. I'm trying to setup the xstartup file for a machine that I have on my network that is running Lubuntu. On Ubuntu's VNC HowTo page they have a script that will configure a VNC session for Gnome and KDE, but they don't have one for Lubuntu's LXDE desktop envirment. I would write the script myself, but I don't understand what this script is doing.

# Try a GNOME session, or fall back to KDE
if [ "GNOME" = "$MODE" ]
then
if which gnome-session >/dev/null
then
gnome-session --session=ubuntu-2d &
else
MODE="KDE"
fi
fi

I have three questions?

1. Is the gnome-session a file or a service?

2. What is this script doing when it's telling the gnome session to empty itself into the null device?

3. What does the "&" symbol mean in Linux scripting?

Last edited by silencer230; 11-14-2015 at 10:25 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

VNC via Rs232

Hi ! Is there somebody who is able to connect a VNC session via serial cable ? There is a hint on the VNC homepage that it is possible to configure that. But how? thanks joerg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vnc

Anyone know of a site where I can download a copy (non-evaluation copy and preferably free. ;) nods to Neo's post in UNIX Operating System thread) of VNC for RedHat 8? Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Xstartup file failure - HELP !!

Hi, dear Experts ! I need some help, again. Earlier in my work I experienced that one script included in '/etc/dt/config/Xstartup' file caused some serious troubles. But this is another story. The point here is: I changed the script so that it worked again. But... After restart of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
3 Replies

4. Linux

Recording X or VNC Activity to a Video File?

I have the need to record some step by step instructions to help with instruction in using Fedora Core 3. I was wondering if there are any ways to capture X or VNC activity to a video file. It can be any of the most common formats (MPEG, DiVX/ViDX, Ogg Theora, etc...) Does anyone know of any apps... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Timer for VNC

Hello fellows, I am new in this forum, i would appreciate your assistance. I need a timming system for my vnc desktops (Cybercafe timer stuff). Each unix user login to my server only with vnc, and i want to write a program that can generate timer tickets and have control on the time used for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: foweja
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Is there something like vnc for solaris?

my desktop is a linux box, and I was wondering if there was a way to leverage X11/associated applications on a v440 remotely... like "Sun Update Connection"...thanks, manny (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
4 Replies

7. Solaris

VNC in solaris 10

First you need to know that I'm 100% new to solaris/unix. I'm trying to setup VNC on my sparc based server that I just installed solaris 10 on but when I type in vncserver to start it, I get "couldn't find "xauth" on your PATH" What do I do so I can get a gui up and running remotely on my... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: QuadRunner750
20 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VNC not executing xstartup

I was originally having a problem with my xstartup script where it would not allow me to do some basic things like shutting down the server through Gnome remotely but I resolved that by changing it to exec gnome-session. However now it seems that after a full server restart of any kind it is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spinner0205
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris and VNC

Hi Guys, I need some assistance with getting vnc viewer from an WinXP machine to be able to connect to a vncserver on Solaris. I have run vncserver on Solaris and i get the following message:- http://i46.tinypic.com/v6ktaf.jpg Is this right ? i see there are a couple of errors in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansnake
4 Replies

10. Linux

Open vnc:0

Hi, Is there a way to open vnc:0 on redhat? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Somename
1 Replies
gnome-session-save(1)						   User Commands					     gnome-session-save(1)

NAME
gnome-session-save - saves or terminates the current GNOME session SYNOPSIS
gnome-session-save [--kill] [--gui] [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
gnome-session-save can be used from a GNOME session to save a snapshot of the currently running applications. This session will be restored at your next GNOME startup session. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --gui Shows a dialog when the session is saved, and reports errors in dialog boxes instead of printing to stderr. --kill Terminates the GNOME session. gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Saving the user's current session example% gnome-session-save Example 2: Terminating the user's current session example% gnome-session-save --kill Example 3: Using the GUI to terminate the user's current session example% gnome-session-save --kill --gui EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-session-sThe command-line executable for the application. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-session | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-std-options(5), default.session(5), gnome-smproxy(1), gnome-session(1) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 13 Jan 2003 gnome-session-save(1)