Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Tranforming unformatted text to 1-column with awk Post 302960281 by owwow14 on Friday 13th of November 2015 05:43:53 AM
Old 11-13-2015
Tranforming unformatted text to 1-column with awk

Hello, I have an input that is unformatted text, such as below.

INPUT:
Code:
Hola. Me llamo Davíd y soy de Andalucía. Mi color favorito es rojo. ¿Como te llamas? ¿Cuál es tu color favorito?

I want to take each word and punctuation and place it on its own line, with a space in between each individual phrase, such as the desired output below.

OUTPUT:
Code:
Hola

Me
llamo
Davíd
y
soy
de
Andalucía

Mi
color
favorito
es
rojo

¿
Como
te
llamas
?

¿
Cuál
es
tu
color
favorito
?

Is there an
HTML Code:
awk
one-liner that could achieve this result?
Thanks!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a text from a specific row into a specific column using SED or AWK

Hi, I am having trouble converting a text file. I have been working for this whole day now, still i couldn't make it. Here is how the text file looks: _______________________________________________________ DEVICE STATUS INFORMATION FOR LOCATION 1: OPER STATES: Disabled E:Enabled ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Issemael
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK Command to find text in specific column

I'm new to scripting and would appreciate any help. I have a list of over 20 words in File1 that I need to find in columns 10-15 of File2. I need the entire row of File2 that the File1 list matches. I originally used a grep command which works, but provides File1 results that can be found... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chillin
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning a specific format to a specific column in a text file using awk and printf

Hi, I have the following text file: 8 T1mapping_flip02 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000008-000001.dcm 9 T1mapping_flip05 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000009-000001.dcm 10 T1mapping_flip10 ok 128 108 30 1 665000-000010-000001.dcm 11 T1mapping_flip15 ok 128 108 30... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodbenito
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk to substitute data in a column delimited text file

using awk to substitute data in a column delimited text file hello i would like to use awk to do the following calculation from the following snippet. input file C;2390 ;CV BOUILLOTTE 2L 2FACES NERVUREES ;1.00 ;3552612239004;13417 ;25 ;50 ; 12;50000 ; ; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iindie
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing a specific column of a text file with another column

I have a text file in the following format: 13412 NA06985 0 0 2 46.6432798439 4 4 4 4 13412 NA06991 NA06993 NA06985 2 48.8478948517 4 4 2 4 13412 NA06993 0 0 1 45.8022601455 4 4 2 4 13401 NA06994 0 0 1 48.780669145 4 4 4 4 13401 NA07000 0 0 2 47.7312017846 2 4 4 4 13402 NA07019... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to log transform a column in a tab-delimited text file?

How do I use awk to log transform the fifth column of a tab-delimited text file? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using tr, sed or awk to delete text from nth column only

Hi everyone, this is my first post here, I hope someone can help me. I have a file which I need to delete characters '_F3' from the end of the text in the first column. The problem is that the characters may also occur elsewhere in the file (i.e. second columns onwards). I tried sed (thinking I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hlwright
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[Solved] Creating unformatted partition

I needed to create a un-formatted partition of X MB on a disk dont want it from GUI but from command line not sure what should be specified for fdisk (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split column using awk in a text file

chr1 412573 . A C 2758.77 . AC=2;AF=1.00;AN=2;DP=71;Dels=0.00;FS=0.000;HaplotypeScore=2.8822;MLEAC=2;MLEAF=1.00;MQ=58.36;MQ0=0;QD=38.86;resource.EFF=INTERGENIC(MODIFIER||||||||) GT:AD:DP:GQ:PL 1/1:0,71:71:99:2787,214,0 GATKSAM chr1 602567 rs21953190 A ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehar
9 Replies
wml::std::grid(3)						     EN Tools							 wml::std::grid(3)

NAME
wml::std::grid - Layout Grid SYNOPSIS
#use wml::std::grid <grid [attributes]> <cell [attributes]>...</cell> : <cell [attributes]>...</cell> </grid> DESCRIPTION
The "<grid>" container tag provides a mixture between a HTML table and a TeX-like way of specifying its dimensions and the alignment of its cells. ATTRIBUTES
First the possible attributes for "<grid>": "summary" This attribute will be inserted into the "table" tag, see documentation of HTML 4.0 for details on why this attribute is recommended. "layout" This specifies the layout of the grid in X and Y dimension, i.e. "3x2" means 3 columns (x-dimension) and 2 rows (y-dimension). Default is "1x"NCELL where NCELL is the number of cell tags or in other words: Default is a top-down list. "align" This specifies the horizontal alignment of the cells in a row. The argument has to contain as many characters as there are cells in a row. The supported alignment characters are `"l"' (left), `"r"' (right) and `"c"' (center). Default is `"l...l"' (as much "l"'s as there are cells in a row). "valign" This specifies the vertical alignment of the cells in a column. The argument has to contain as many characters as there are cells in a column. The supported alignment characters are `"t"' (top), `"b"' (bottom) and `"m"' (middle). Default is `"t...t"' (as much "t"'s as there are cells in a column). "width" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<table>" tag. Use it to set the width of the grid. Default is no specified width. "spacing" This is the corresponding attribute to "cellspacing" of the HTML "<table>" tag. Use it to set the spacing of cells in the grid, i.e. the space around the content of each cell. Default is 0 (no space). "padding" This is the corresponding attribute to "<cellpadding>" of the HTML "<table>" tag. Use it to set the padding between cells in the grid, i.e. the inter-cell space. Default is 0 (no space). "border" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<table>" tag. Use it to set the border width of the grid. Default is 0 (no border). "bgcolor" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<table>" tag. Use it to set the background color of the grid. Default is no specified color. "color" This sets the foreground (text) color of the grid's contents. Actually this sets the default for the same attribute of "<cell>". Default is no specified color. Second the possible attributes for "<cell>": "align" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to set the horizontal alignment of the cell's contents. Default is taken from the same attribute of "<grid>". "valign" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to set the vertical alignment of the cell's contents. Default is taken from the same attribute of "<grid>". "bgcolor" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to set the background color of a particular cell. Default is no specified color. "color" This sets the foreground (text) color of the cell's contents. This is done via the HTML "<font>" tag. Default is no specified color or the color from the same attribute of "<grid>". "rowspan" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to span a cell over more then one row of the grid. Default is 1 row. "colspan" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to span a cell over more then one column of the grid. Default is 1 column. "width" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to set the width of the cell. Default is no specified width. "height" This is the corresponding attribute of the HTML "<td>" tag. Use it to set the height of the cell. Default is no specified height. EXAMPLE
<grid bgcolor="#000000" color="#ffffff" layout="3x2" align="llr" valign="tm"> <cell>A</cell> <cell>B</cell> <cell>C</cell> <cell>D</cell> <cell>E</cell> <cell>F</cell> </grid> AUTHOR
Ralf S. Engelschall rse@engelschall.com www.engelschall.com REQUIRES
Internal: P1, P2, P3, P5 External: -- SEE ALSO
HTML <"table">-tag. EN Tools 2014-04-16 wml::std::grid(3)