Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed; insert text two lines above match Post 302960216 by indo1144 on Thursday 12th of November 2015 10:09:22 AM
Old 11-12-2015
Sed; insert text two lines above match

Hi!

Considering below text, how would I use sed to insert text right below the v0005-line, using the SEPARATOR-line as a pattern to search for, so two lines above the separator? I can do it right above the separator, but not 2 lines...

Code:
# v0004 - Some text
# v0005 - More text
#
######SEPARATOR#####

My goal is to insert another line, like so:

Code:
# v0004 - Some text
# v0005 - More text
# v0006 - New text
#
######SEPARATOR#####

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - delete all lines until a match on 2 lines

First of all, I know this can be more eassily done with perl or other scripting languages but, that's not the issue. I need this in sed. (or wander if it's possible ) I got a file (trace file to recreate the control file from oracle for the dba boys) which contains some lines another line... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: plelie2
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text file only after the first match with SED

Hello, I'm new in Shell scripting but i should write a script, which inserts the license header out of a txt-File into the files in our Projekt. For the Java classes it runs without Problems but for XML files not. At xml-files i have to put the license Header after the xml-Header (?xml... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PhoenixONE
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert few lines above a match using sed, and within a perl file.

Greetings all, I am trying to match a string, and after that insert a few lines above that match. The string is "Version 1.0.0". I need to insert a few lines ONLY above the first match (there are many Version numbers in the file). The rest of the matches must be ignored. The lines I need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagaraj s
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed insert text 2 lines above pattern

Hi I am trying to insert a block of text 2 lines above a pattern match using sed eg #Start of file entry { } #End of file entry new bit of text has to be put in just above the } eg #Start of file entry { New bit of text } #End of file entry (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert line with between two consecutive lines that match special pattern?

I have following pattern in a file: 00:01:38 UTC abcd 00:01:48 UTC 00:01:58 UTC efgh 00:02:08 UTC 00:02:18 UTC and I need to change something like the following 00:01:38 UTC abcd 00:01:48 UTC XXXX 00:01:58 UTC efgh 00:02:08 UTC XXXX (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjnight
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to insert text between lines

Hello, I am trying to insert a section of text between lines in another text file. The new lines to be inserted are: abcd.efgh.zzzz=blah abcd.efgh.xxxx=blah Where N = 0 to 2 Original File: abcd.efgh.wwxx=aaaaa abcd.efgh.yyzz=bbbbb abcd.efgh.wwxx=aaaaa abcd.efgh.yyzz=bbbbb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsu3000
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a certain char and insert new text if a match found

Have a file which has the create statement like below create table emp ( empno integer, empname char(50)) primary index(empno); i need to find a string starting with create and ends with semi-colon ;. if so insert the below statement before create statement rename table emp to emp_rename;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohan0509
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text after match in XML file

Having a little trouble getting this to work just right. I have xml files that i want to split some data. I have 2 <name> tags within the file I would like to take only the first tag and split the data. tag example. From this. TAB<Name>smith, john</Name> to TAB<Name>smith,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
unifdef(1)						      General Commands Manual							unifdef(1)

NAME
unifdef - remove preprocessor lines SYNOPSIS
sym] sym] sym] sym]] ... [file] DESCRIPTION
simulates some of the actions of in interpreting C language preprocessor command lines (see cpp(1)). For a valid preprocessor command line contains as its first character a and one of the following keywords: or The character and its associated keyword must appear on the same line, but they can be separated by spaces, tabs, and commented text. When appropriate, the portions of code surrounded by and including the targeted preprocessor directives are removed, and the resultant text is written to the standard output. Unlike does not insert included files, interpret macros, or strip comment lines. This means, among other things, that and macros occurring within the input text are not interpreted. Since is language-independent, it can be used for processing source files for languages other than the C language. For example, can be used on FORTRAN language source files, provided the C language preprocessor commands are used. Options recognizes the following command-line options: Complement the normal behavior by printing only the rejected lines. Ignore text delimited by sym. In other words, text that would otherwise be affected by some action is not touched when found within the context of a preprocessor command using sym. Ignore text delimited by sym. Replace rejected lines with blank lines in the text written to the standard output. Treat the input source as plain text. C-language comment and quoting constructs are not recognized. Define symbol sym. Cause symbol sym to be undefined. RETURN VALUE
The command returns the following exit values: 0 Output is an exact copy of the input. 1 Output is not an exact copy of the input. 2 The command fails. The failure might be due to a premature EOF or to an inappropriate or EXAMPLES
Assume file contains the following: The command sequence: produces the following result in file WARNINGS
Any symbol name defined in the file must be specified in the command line; otherwise, will ignore the line. AUTHOR
was developed in the public domain. SEE ALSO
cpp(1). unifdef(1)