Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX NFS Server and NFS Client Post 302960125 by MichaelFelt on Tuesday 10th of November 2015 06:53:17 PM
Old 11-10-2015
Thanks for the update.

Your fix was to be my recommendation.

a) AIX, to boot (quickly) needs to have two IP addresses in /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 loopback localhost
A.B.C.D hostname

b) for the AIX NFS server both server and client must agree on the name and IP address used by the client to connect (mount) on the server. There was a time that when the client used a shortname and the server a "longname" the mount would fail (I hope the shortname check is enough these days)

In short, when NFS mounts are taking a long time verify the IP address used to connect (especially from multi-homed clients). Back in telnet days I would just telnet in to the server and then use the who command to see what IP address/hostname the server reported. If it was an IP address I knew I needed to do something because the hostname - short or long - was not resolving. It might also be what I considered the alias - again, if not the name the client was announcing - the AIX server will refuse the mount.

Hope this helps your understanding!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

NFS Server FC7 Solaris client problems!

Hi, my problem is that I am not able to grand the nfs directory on a Fedora 7 server to a standard solaris client. I always got the messages no permission. Important: No change on the client (Solaris) is possible! So I am not able to change the NFS Version on the client side to force the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining IP address of NFS server on client

Hi. We use an Isilon cluster system to provide our NAS. The Isilon uses a round-robin DNS setup to spread mount requests across the many nodes of the cluster. When a node needs work, the filesystems that are mounted to it need to be moved to other nodes prior to shutting the node down. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rascalrick
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 9 as a nfs client -- centos as a nfs server.

Hello, I have a centos as nfs server, its name is centos_A. After I finish the setup of the nfs server, the other linux can access this nfs server immediately via /net/centos_A/* But, My solaris 9 can not access /net/centos_A/* immediately. I have to leave /net/centos_A, and wait for about... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bruceharbin
1 Replies

4. AIX

can not mount from aix client to linux nfs server

Hi, I am trying to mount a nfs folder from AIX client to Linux NFS Server, but I got the following error: # mount 128.127.11.121:/aix /to_be_del mount: 1831-010 server 128.127.11.121 not responding: RPC: 1832-018 Port mapper failure - RPC: 1832-008 Timed out mount: retrying... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Memory problems in NFS client server

Hi all, i have some doubts in a situation that i fail to get an answer in Google. I have a solaris 10 nfs server and 5 centos 6.0 nfs clients. The problem/situation is that in the clients the free memory is "disappearing" along the time (passing to used)..and it gets free if i umount the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blast
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Can't access NFS Share on Solaris Server from a Linux Client

Hi, I am trying to access a NFS shared directory on Solaris 10 Server from a client which is RHEL 4 Server. On the NFS Server, in /etc/dfs/, I added following line to dfstab file. & then ran the following On the client machine, while running the mount command, I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SunilB2011
0 Replies

7. AIX

AIX NFS Client Logging

My AIX NFS client failed to mount a Windows server NFS service today. Is NFS client logging enabled by default on AIX? If not, is there a way to enable NFS client logging on AIX6.1. Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: famasutika
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mount NFS Share On NFS Client via bash script.

I need a help of good people with effective bash script to mount nfs shared, By the way I did the searches, since i haven't found that someone wrote a script like this in the past, I'm sure it will serve more people. The scenario as follow: An NFS Client with Daily CRON , running bash script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brian.t
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 NFS client cannot mount a share from a Windows server

I have a Solaris 10 server, I'm trying to mount a share from a Windows nfs server. If I add this entry (tst-walnut:/test_sap_nfs - /majid nfs - yes rw,soft) to my /etc/vfstab, then I can mount, but when I create a file by root:root, the file owner changes to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
1 Replies
mountd(1M)																mountd(1M)

NAME
mountd, rpc.mountd - server for NFS mount requests and NFS access checks SYNOPSIS
n] DESCRIPTION
is an RPC server that answers requests for NFS access information and file system mount requests. It reads the file to determine which file systems are available for mounting by which remote machines. See sharetab(4). running on the local server will contact the first time an NFS client tries to access the file system to determine whether the client should get read-write, read-only, or no access. This access can be dependent on the security mode used in the remote procedure call from the client. See share_nfs(1M). The command also provides information as to what file systems are mounted by which clients. This information can be printed using the showmount(1M) command. The daemon is automatically invoked if and in Only superuser can run the daemon. Options The following options are supported: This is an obsolete option. All messages and errors are logged to Reject mount requests from clients. Clients that have file systems mounted will not be affected. Specify tracing level n, where n can have one of the following values: Errors only (default). Errors, requests handled by mountd, results, and the names of the main functions leading to the result Run the command in verbose mode. Each time determines what access a client should get, it will log the result to the as well as the names of the main functions leading to the result. WARNINGS
If is running, must also be running in order to be assured that the NFS server can respond to requests. Some routines that compare hostnames use case-sensitive string comparisons; some do not. If an incoming request fails, verify that the case of the hostname in the file to be parsed matches the case of the hostname called for, and attempt the request again. If a client crashes, executing on the server will show that the client still has a file system mounted. In other words, stale entries may accumulate in for clients that crash without sending an unmount request. Also, if a client mounts the same remote directory twice, only one entry appears in Doing a of one of these directories removes the single entry and no longer indicates that the remote directory is mounted. AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. FILES
shared file system table list of all hosts having file systems mounted from this machine rpc.mountd log file for messages and errors SEE ALSO
nfsd(1M), share(1M), share_nfs(1M), showmount(1M), sharetab(4). mountd(1M)